WTS action on Conti's case 3/27/2013

by mind blown 85 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    metatron - "There may be a gap - as is often the case with authoritarian organizations - between an ignorant, stubborn leadership and the real needs of competent administration."

Understatement of the decade, man.

• metatron
    metatron

I'm not a lawyer but I do wonder if published statements made by the Watchtower Society would be admissible as evidence as to their responsibility to protect members of the flock.

Since they have a long history of freely making jaw-dropping hypocritical remarks, that may have an emetic character, I think there may be quite a self created standard for them to uphold - if they were forced into it.

OTOH, perhaps such comments can't be added to an appeal -as judging only established evidence.

As to the Tenth Amendment, I love the ideal of the thing. I am often tempted to view what the Founding Fathers thought up as near Divinely Inspired in its wisdom - but both conservatives and liberals have butchered so much of the Constitution, it's sad.

I have to marvel at complaints about applying the Commerce Clause to Obamacare while approving the stupid notion that it can prevent growing your own weed.

metatron

• cha ching
    cha ching

I have read parts of the Conti case appeal by McCabe, and am also left to wonder:

Does the Org act as if the "know not," just so they can delay & appeal and hit with their wilier & bigger gunslater?

Sounds like a good lawyer tactic.

P.S. After looking at the case in San Diego

**of which McCabe was a part of

** where a boy was abused (the abuser had been a pioneer, MS, & elder.. see details in link below)

**the mom, Manuela Dorman, was basically threatened w/blackmail if she were to pursue it...

** “I also called Roberto Rivera, Johnny River’as father. I told him about my son’s abuse and that John had told me that Brother Rivera’s son, Johnny, had also been abused. Roberto told me he would call me back after he had spoken to his son, Johnny, and the church Elders. Roberto called me back and told me that the Elders said I should not take any further action or call anyone else in the congregation about what had happened, or an affair that I had when I was attending the Linda Vista Congregation would be made public in the congregation. I told Roberto that I did not care, and that I would continue to push the issue.

** and the case was settled "out of court" with a gag order (you can still read the depositions, I believe)

Pge 104 of this link, but page 6 of Manuela Dorman's deposition, line 12 - 19 http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/cases/Zalkin-Plaintiff_John_Dorman's_Ntc_of_Lodgment_in_Support_of_Opp_to_Mtns_for_Summary_Judgment_12-16-11.pdf

Can an attorney use quotes from these depositions in another case?

Can he even refer to these depositions if there is a gag order????

Also, let's say there was someone that was depositioned, but not awarded any money.

Does the gag order apply to them? Can the Society or Court prevent them from saying anything or testifying in another case?

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Although I totally agree that the WTB is to be blamed for this tragedy I am almost certain that they will win this appeal.

I would love them NOT to win it... but they will win simply because they are not directly "attached" to the committer of the crime and the fact that they are not even really "attached" to the local community. Evey community has their own bankaccount and organisation.

The "pressure" the REAL organisation lays on their followers is, although there, not something that can be proved. They are a church and not a sect according to the authorities which makes it nearly impossible to get them for "just" one member within a small part of the community who is commiting wrongdoing.

I really hope their appeal will not hold but I must say that this whole trial is on shaky grounds to say the least... Candice is brave and so is her Lawyer but they will most certainly not win against a company/organisation which almost never lost a trial :(

I do know something else however: In the end justice will always be served sooner or later... Candice shows that it is not about money... she wasn't fighting for the money... she fights for something more and bigger than that... in the end this organisation WILL burn... just like all the ****sucking religious organisations around us... the only thing they are now defending is their "assets"... which they did not get yet (do you get it?)

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Can an attorney use quotes from these depositions in another case?

No, a witness from one case generally has to come and testify in another case if their testimony is going to be admitted. Otherwise, it's hearsay.

Also, let's say there was someone that was depositioned, but not awarded any money.

A gag order would only apply to the person entering into the agreement to settle.

With respect to the Conti case, there is no opportunity for either side to bring in new testimony at the appeals stage. The evidence is generally limited to what was introduced at the trial.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Any news?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit