100 Years of Disappointment on the Horizon

by mrquik 38 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

@blind_of_lies - great observations

I suspect the WTS will do absolutely bugger all about 2014. From my current position of approved inactivty (!) I don't think anyone who is mentally in gives two hoots so why would the WTS do anything to draw attention to it. I cannot see any major exodus so why prompt peoples' thinking?

I can see more articles on loyalty, trust in the WTS and faux urgency to try keep people from letting any negative thoughts turn into action as well as build a mental rejection of any that do raise doubts or concerns. Which is pretty much business as usual...

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"Considering they threw Russel and the Bible Students under the bus recently with the latest understanding of the F&DS, it might not actually be 100 years from the perspective of the current WT Leadership and die-hard JWs. The starting point has been moved up to roughly 1919 with the latest understanding."

I agree 100%; they really really don't want people thinking about the fact that we are near to 100 years of NOTHING HAPPENING

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I had my big "I'm fed up" moment in 1995 when they started fooling around with the understanding of "generation." I was in a car heading out in service and reading the "noo lite" in the WT. I said, "We're going to see 2000 in this system, aren't we?" I saw it as maneuvering on the part of the Society, and if they needed to maneuver it couldn't be the truth.

That started the ball rolling.

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

@cobaltcupcake

(love the handle btw, very nice)

I actually had a very similar thought probably about the same time. I was pretty young (early teens) at the time but I very avid reader and I knew the theory behind their teachings by heart, my parents used to insist I read every magazine and studied every meeting before I could read anything not printed by WTBTS so I was force fed their teachings and memorized it all. I remember being really confused about “new light” and asking my parents and actually my bible study conductor if I could get a new bible. They wanted to know what was wrong with my old bible and I told them I wanted the recently revised version that god had sent down to provide the “new light”…that really stumped them and the best explanation I got was “it doesn’t work that way”

Years later I was still living with my parents but against my will and one of their conditions was that I went to meetings (I would say this was about 2004). They had us study the Revelation book over for the “Book Study” or “BS Night” as I called it. Anyway, as you all probably remember they had us study this book during BS several times in the 90’s then cut down on it while we repeatedly studied the now defunct “Knowledge Book” followed by several rounds of the “Greatest Man” book and a few weird tracts, this kept us busy for several years… anyway before we could study The Revelation book again they sent several pages of revisions that had to be cut out and then a taped or glued over entire paragraphs of information in the Revelation book. I remember our book study conductor’s copy was so torn up after he made all the revisions that he had pages falling out of it during meeting. The whole thing was comical. I have never understood how a group of people who are so trained to recognize and combat political BS and BS from other religions can be so hoodwinked when it happens before their eyes.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And don't forget that there's another major anniversary coming in approximately 20 years time. That will be roughly the 2000th anniversary of Jesus death and we are still waiting for the promised fulfillment of Luke 21:27 " And then they will see the Son of man coming ... in great glory. "

Of course the JW belief explains that, but whether you accept the JW explanation or the more orthodox explanation, I doubt very much that Jesus is a-coming back in any way, at any time, and if he doesnt, every form of Christianity collapses in a big heap of disappointed hopes,

• barry
    barry

Christians have been looking for Jesus return for a long time. The problem is that some christians put their lives on hold as a result of his comming and this is a missrepresentation of the second comming

www.youtube.com/watch?v=My00ptrJ-9Q

• steve2
    steve2

The end-is-near phenomemon is a symptom of a group of religious beliefs in which the main object of devotion - i.e., Christ Jesus - led his followers to genuinely believe his return to earth was imminent. Since his words were allegedly first uttered, every conceivably "creative" Christian has sought to (endlessly) explain what "Christ Jesus"did or did not mean by those words. Chuck Russell's column miles spent explaining "parousia" is but one example of the tortured explanatory lengths earnest believers went to in order to explain the absence of his return. It did not seem to occur to them to ask, If he has not yet returned, might that not suggest he's well and truly gone, if he were ever here to begin with? The horror of asking such a question has effectively led to its being banned from believers' circles. Let's play pretend, shall we?

Fact is, as in "His" own day, and down through the millenia, "loyal" but ultimately gullible believers have hung on to these words of his and seldom if ever let their remaining brains cells intervene and ask, "Is not this whole 'the-end-is-near-phenomenon plain bullsh*t?"

Courage to ask that question is worthier than the conviction that automatically rejects that question.

JWs are "merely" among the most vocal and literal-minded about these age-old promises. They didn't invent the end-is-near phenomenon - which is not to say they do not milk it for all it is worth.

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

I remember when I asked my mom in 1996 if this 'New Light' meant the End could come in several more decades, or even centuries, considering they were basically dropping the 1914 "Generation that will not pass away" teaching. She gave me the usual response, that 'The light gets brighter', blah blah blah. Did I mention I was 10 years old at the time?

Even though I haven't set foot in a KH in 2 years, I've been thinking a lot about what 2014 will mean for those still in. After all, it's 100 years! Another thing I have noticed (sister still in) is that they're mentioning the 1914 date less and less with every passing year. Will people wake up? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There will be a lot of anniversaries of events that led up to WWI over the next year and a half ..... events that preceded Satan getting his arse kicked down to planet earth to cause them.

Your JWs need a wake-up call for every one of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit