New here

by Elbear 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Elbear
    Elbear

Hi all. I'm a female JW who has been lurking for a little while but finally has the balls to post something. I am in need of adivce and help. I still feel a little nervous typing out these words on an "apostate" website.

I am a born-in jw, 4th generation. My family is very influential in our hall. We take up a whole row when we are all together! I never progressed farther than giving talks, i am not even an unbaptized publisher. But this beliefs have been rooted into my very core. My parents always tried to inculcate spirtuality in me from a young age, but we were not the ideal family. We did not go out in field service as often as we should have and my parents were hevily involved in their jobs. I don't have many fond memories of the Kingdom Hall, just mean girls and false smiles. I hated going. I would find myself zoning out and eventually stopped singing and commenting all together.

I never really felt bad about my reputation as the "bad-girl" at the hall, as I knew that I NEVER did anything. No dating, no boys, no drugs, no R rated movies, nothing. Mothers feared me and I could see the wariness and apprehensive looks all over their faces when their children would talk to me. I was so different from my jw friends though, who dated around with other jws, watched bad movies and listened to crazy music.

Another thing that really set me apart was my parents view on education. They sent me to a very prestigious high school and always made sure that I knew my stuff. Unfortunately for them, this lent to my crtical attitue and skepticism about the doctrine I was taught. I went off to college, a Catholic school non the less, which wasn't well recieved by members of my congregation. In fact, at the last meeting I attended, I told a sister I was thinking about gradschool just recently and she told me that I was basically at the forked road and hopefully I would choose the path of light. What a turn off.

My boyfriend has been with me for 4 years and still does not have my parents approval simply because he is an unbeliever. He is loyal and loving and respectful and is everything a parent could hope for. But I fear my parents will never truly love him because of his lack of faith. If we were to get married I have no idea how they would recieve it honestly.

While I have never really been concerned with my state as a JW, this year things have taken a turn for the worse. I ate a special brownie, went to the hall and proceeded to have an intense crying fit during one of the songs. I could not contain myself. I felt guilty and sad about everything and broke down during prayer. Is this normal? My mother saw this as a sign that I wanted to repent and come back, I beleive. I hated that I gave my parents false hope.

During the past year I have been in a constant state of paranoia. I fear everything. I lay in bed at night unable to sleep. i constantly thinkabout the state of my soul and if I will live or die. I have gone crazy over conspiracy theories involving the illuminati and evil things and it has utterly consumed my mind. I can't help myself but to reserach and by doing so my thinking only goes further into the darkness. One night, I even thought I heard Jehovah himself talking to me and condeming my behavoir. I swear it was the most lucid dream that I have ever had and still scares me to this day. Of course I went to bed high, but nothing like that has ever happend before. I has seriously been taking a toll on my mental state and I am concerned that I may be depressed. In fact I know I am. I had a mental breakdown the other day over the stress I have been feeling and my fear of evil. My friends noticed how down I was and I began to cry hysterically. The whole expirience was equally traumatic and theraputic as it felt good to actually be voicing my inner anguish.

Aside from that, I told my parents last week, the week before the memorial, that I would not be attending. Tonight was the first time I did not go. I feel good and bad at the same time, but many of you say it gets easier. I told them that I did not know if the truth was for me, but I respected their religion and right to believe. I just wanted to know that they would always love me. They said they would, but that things would change as I got older. Disheartening as it was, I guess that was the best response I could hope for.

I guess all I want to know is that things get better. I would love to hear your thoughts on anything I have to say. No matter how many times you try to explain your previous lifestyle to your non-jw friends they just don't understand how deep these roots really go. Advice is truly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Also, if I could move this thread to the private support section that would be awesome. I didn't realize I could post there.

• gone for good
    gone for good

Dear Elbear-

Welcome to you.

Things do get better. For a young one like you, a whole wonderful lifetime, in a beautiful world, of kind and generous people awaits your

participation. You are among friends.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome Elbear, You have no reason to be afraid of people on this site. You already suspect the truth about the Watchtower (WTBTS), so you might as well independently investigate it.

Have you read any of Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited his website, and/or watched his videos? Watching Steve Hassan's videos may help you decided whether to read his books. His books will help you to understand your feelings and may help you and your BF to communicate better with your parents. If you want to learn more about the WTBTS, you should visit websites like www.jwfacts.com, www.jwsurvey.org, and www.watchtowerdocuments.com.

Post regularly on JWN about your feelings, because if you do independently investigate the WTBTS, you will have a torrent of feelings. It is better to vent to strangers than to JW family and friends.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

A very warm welcome Elbear. You have come to the right place and are amongst people that have gone through similar experiences.

How fortunate for you that your parents insisted you have a good education, so they actually did help you.

I know from experiences "brownies" can exaggerate what you are feeling and then can also turn into paranoia - I had a friend that had such a bad trip - she still remembers how paranoid she felt and it brings back a lot of feelings of angst for her. Maybe stop altogether so you can have a fresh perspective.

It does get better. I know I initially drove myself so close to insanity (hearing voices too) when I tried to disprove the doctrine and find out what was actually going on - it was maddness, I'd be 'high' that I'd left and then rocked to depression when I didn't have the answers. I learnt to quiet my mind and realise that I didn't need to have all the answers anymore. If there is a god - he must be loving and understanding and wouldn't condem anybodies soul and if there isn't a god - well then there isn't.

If you haven't been baptised you shouldn't be shunned. I'm sure your family will still associate with you, just respect them and their choice and hopefully they will do so yours (simply because you have not been baptised)

Keep coming here, keep talking and sharing.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

ugh, elbear, sounds like you let yourself fall into a trap of sorts.....i was talking about this on a post a week or so ago, where it's like sometimes as a jw, they want to demonize everything, and they go so overboard with that, if you aren't the type of person who can just grab a-hold of reality sometimes and say wait a minute, let's get some frame of reference here and be reasonable, if you don't do that, you can just fall into a never ending loop of craziness that they create. rational thought = your friend.

let me give you an example of what i mean. let's say you are watching a movie that you feel that you should not be watching, and there are curse words every other 10 seconds. you start feeling guilty, and then those words start to cause you a kind of inner-conflict (feel like you should turn it off but you want to watch it) . if you stop, think, rationalize for a moment, you ask yourself: first of all, who made this rule about curse words? who deemed which words curse words? do i really give a shit about some guy sitting somewhere picking words that are bad and words that are good, and now i'm allowing my life to be affected by that in one way or the other? where is the reason in that? is eating cyanide bad? well, what are the effects? death? yea i'd say cyanide is bad then. are curse words bad? what is their effect? .....see what i'm saying? rational thinking = your friend. it will give you stability. it sounds really silly because it sounds so simple, but our emotions are complex, and when we are so emotionally invested, these simple truths can sometimes become elusive.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome Elbear, sorry to hear of your mental turmoil, however I really think that now you are starting to take control of your life and making a decision about what is right and wrong for you, you will find that it gets easier. Be true to yourself, and love life.

• Elbear
    Elbear

Thank you all for such a warm welcome so quickly!

LouBelle: I agree on the weed thing. I feel like sometimes it takes me into the recesses of my mind, which at the moment is not a very stable place to be spending my time. I've cut back on the ganja.

Cptkirk: Believe me I am usually a very rational person. And it's not really JW doctrine that has me tossing and turning at night or my contrary way of thinking. Sure that is at the heart of it, in that I think about things like Armmegeddon and what not. But it more so the stuff that I have found myself wrapped up in as of late. I am sure many of you know the Vigilant Citizen and what he professes. It is all to easy to get caught up in his words, which I think becuase of my altered and vulerable mental state, make "sense" to me. That and his writing just feels so logical. Of course, he is just another crazy. At least I want to think so. I can't help but have that dark suspicion in the pit of my stomach that maybe there is some truth to his saying that there is evil in this world and where it stems from. I need to find a way to block out this stuff from my mind as well as my desire to inquire further. It's been hard as I am naturally curious. But once that junk is in there it's almost impossible to get it out. I need to focus on the good in life.

I also wanted to ask you all, do you think there is any way I can appeal to my parents? I am trying hard to find a method of reason that will click with them.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I suggest that you find a good counselor, such as a psychologist who understands what people go through breaking out of a cult. I also suggest you stop getting high. If you are getting paranoid as a result of getting high, then it isn't worth doing. A good counselor can help you reframe your experiences so that you look at them from a more mature and secure place.

Not going to the meeting tonight is a good step. Now don't let guilt make you seesaw back and forth. I remember all the complex feelings I had when leaving the org., I don't know how I would have done without seeing a psychologist for a while. The psychologist I had fortunately was a really mature person who gave me just the right advice.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Hello and welcome. Having just looked at his website, VC is clearly a nutter. Reading things like that when you're in a weakened and emotional state of my mind would make it difficult to see that clearly, though. Here's a couple of examples of his insanity.. ' Considering the context surrounding the massacre and the possibility that the perpetrator was under mind control (as I described in Thought of the Month (01/13): Mass Shootings and Mass Media), the song choice Over the Rainbow is quite telling and, sadly, quite appropriate. As I stated in several other articles, the movie The Wizard of Oz and the song Over the Rainbow are major tools used by Mind Control handlers to program their slaves (if you have no idea what I’m talking about , please read the article entitled Origins and Techniques of Monarch Mind Control). Through violence and trauma, slaves are encouraged to dissociate from reality and are told to go “Over the Rainbow”. “Dorothy is looking for a place where there is no trouble which is a place “over the rainbow.” To escape pain, alters go over the rainbow. Over the rainbow in Oz is for the Monarch slave to be in a trance, and into a certain area of the programming. To be fluctuating at both ends as an observer and not a participant or to go to the other extreme and become a participant. The theme song of the movie goes, “Somewhere over the Rainbow…there’s a land where the dreams that you dare to dream really come true.” ' http://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/sandy-hook-survivors-record-the-song-over-the-rainbow-to-commemorate-the-shooting/

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Here's a dose of sanity.. '' Suesays: January 17, 2013 at 11:30 am The children are aged 6-13…. Only two of them were in the school and they loved being a part of this. Many of the kids graduated from SHS. The rest of the young ones are from other parts of Newtown. No one was forced into this. They wanted to be a part of something beautiful to help heal our town. ' Even a nurse wearing a belt with a Masonic symbol (could it be anything to do with her simply being trained at a college attached to an old freemasonic hospital?), is supposedly part of a major conspiracy involving the Queen. This VC guy makes suggestive statements and selects certain pictures to put thoughts into your mind. Speaking to a qualified therapist will help you, sites like his will not.. Bad associations and all that ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit