If Jesus arrived in Kingdom Power in 1914....is he a lame-duck savior?

by Big Mama 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

Interesting scripture at 1 Cor. 11:14 " For as often as you eat this loaf and drink this cup, you keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives." The teaching and belief of Jehovah's Witnesses is that Jesus took kingdom power in the heavens in 1914 at the same time throwing Satan out and down to the vicinity of the Earth. If Jesus is in power in the heavens; he has arrived. Thus, the Memorial of his death is a mute point. Of course the Witnesses will argue that we are waiting for him to exercise that authority of kingship and kingdom power towards his followers on Earth, and until he does all should commeorate his death. If Jesus took power in the heavens in 1914, and has allowed thousands of his loyal followers to be beaten, raped, tortured, executed and in any manner you could imagine harmed and disdained, it begs the question: Is Jesus a lame-duck savior?

I would argue that he is not. Rather the simple truth is that he has not taken power anywhere, and is waiting for the right time at his Fathers signal to step into that position as King and Savior of humankind.

For this reason I dismiss the memorial of Christs death as a non-event. Celebrating it, memorializing it, even recognizing it is a slap in the face to Gods son.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I pointed that scripture out to my wife when it was read toninght

Doc

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

Please pardon my typo above. The correct scripture is 1 Cor. 11:26; rather than vs.14......... My bad.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I would argue that he is not. Rather the simple truth is that he has not taken power anywhere, and is waiting for the right time at his Fathers signal to step into that position as King and Savior of humankind.

For this reason I dismiss the memorial of Christs death as a non-event. Celebrating it, memorializing it, even recognizing it is a slap in the face to Gods son.

Arent you really arguing that the memorial should still be celebrated because Jesus hasn`t returned yet ?

Just asking

smiddy

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

any insight on this when compared to 1 Thess 4:13-17?

13 Moreover, brothers, we do not want YOU to be ignorant concerning those who are sleeping+ [in death]; that YOU may not sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope.+14 For if our faith is that Jesus died and rose again,+ so, too, those who have fallen asleep [in death] through Jesus God will bring with him.+ 15 For this is what we tell YOU by Jehovah’s* word,+ that we the living who survive to the presence of the Lord*+ shall in no way precede those who have fallen asleep [in death]; 16 because the Lord* himself will descend from heaven+ with a commanding call, with an archangel’s+ voice and with God’s trumpet,+ and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.+ 17 Afterward we the living who are surviving* will, together* with them,+ be caught away+ in clouds+ to meet+ the Lord* in the air; and thus we shall always be with [the] Lord.*+ 18Consequently keep comforting one another with these words.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As long as he gets the two-thirds majority vote from the GB he is in good shape.

Rub a Dub

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Great logic, I think I'll use this when my father hounds me for not attending this year.

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

Hi Smiddy....My argument was taken from the point of view the JW's have.....beyond that I could argue either way,but not convincingly,because where I am right now....I'm not only not convinced of much at all; I'm somewhat confused on many points. It's what happens when you spend 57 of 63 years behind the bars of the W.T. When you're finally free in the daylight, it's so blinding it takes a bit to focus again.

• mP
    mP

any insight on this when compared to 1 Thess 4:13-17?

13 Moreover, brothers, we do not want YOU to be ignorant concerning those who are sleeping + [in death]; that YOU may not sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope. + 14 For if our faith is that Jesus died and rose again, + so, too, those who have fallen asleep [in death] through Jesus God will bring with him. + 15

And because Jesus died and rose again so must Hitler and Genghis Khan.

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

I have a theory that the validity of the Bible ended at the end of the 1st century with the death of the apostles and an influx of other 'christian' beliefs. This is partly fueled by the cessation of 'gifts in men, prophesying, speaking in tongues,healing' etc, etc. Possibly the whole 144,000 were collected together by then, and the need for those acts as proof of Gods approval ended. That would mean that we're left with the Bible as a guide book (not a rule book as the 1st century christian were beholden to it), and the ransom of Jesus as a scape goat and sacrifice for our sins. When viewed from this angle, it becomes apparent that many scriptures that applied to 1st century christians, do not have a thing to do with us. We are then no longer trying to drive a square peg into a round hole. Just my 2c....and maybe I'm waaaaay off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit