CONTI CASE : Kathleen Conti Just commented on a Facebook Xjw group

by BlindersOff1 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

................................................................................ Brief FILED

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.gov/search/case/briefing.cfm?dist=1&doc_id=2025979&doc_no=A136641

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Ok, that makes sense. Does anyone know where we can read the brief? I didn't see the document on the website.

• Londo111
    Londo111

check on order to file AOB.
    check on order for pro hac

What does this mean?

Also:

03/27/2013Appellant's opening brief.Defendant and Appellant: Fremont California Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, North Unit
    Attorney: James Murray McCabe 8.25(b)(3)
    03/27/2013Received: Watchtower Bible & Tract Society's AOB. Oversized brief.
    03/27/2013Application filed to: File Watchtower Bible & Tract Society's AOB in excess of word count limit.
    03/27/2013Pro hac vice application Mario F. Moreno for watchtower Bible & Tract Society.
    03/27/2013Appellant's appendix filed. 8 - vols of Joint Appellants' Appendix.
    03/27/2013Record in box. 1 - box of joint appellants' appendix.
  • Splash
    Splash

Looks like WTBTS are bringing in a new guy:

Mario F. Moreno - Lawyer Profile

Mario F. Moreno

Assoc. Gen. Coun.
    Watchtower Legal Department

2800 Route 22
    Patterson, New York (Putnam Co.)

Experience & Credentials

University

Stanford University, B.A.

Law School

University of California School of Law at Los Angeles, J.D.

Admitted

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My guess is that they are going to use the fact that the 26th was a religious holday for them, and demand an extention.

Coffee

• Londo111
    Londo111

I know nothing about law, but even if they lose this appeal, they can go to the California Supreme Court, I think? Maybe they are saving their effort for that.

Londo:

"AOB" stands for "Appellant's Opening Brief"

"Pro Hac Vice" is a term used to describe a lawyer, who is licensed in a state other than the one in which the aciton is being heard, who is applying for a special permit to practice law in the state he is not licensed in (i.e., California). In this case, Mario Moreno is not licensed to practice law in California, so he must appear "pro hac vice," which means he has filed an application to appear pro hac vice, paid a filing fee of (appx. $500 - $600), and that he will be supervised by a lawyer licensed in California.

The brief will not be available online. It can be obtained by visiting the court in San Francisco and paying for copies or by paying an attorney's service to do this for you.

• Splash
    Splash

Mario Moreno has a case online.

In 2005 he successfully defended the WTBTS against an accident claim, when a sister reversed her car into another sister when on field service.

The defense was that the sisters were there entirely voluntarily, and there was no agency relationship between the WTBTS and the field service group.

This was upheld by the court and the claim failed.

Splash

• mind blown
    mind blown

It seems they got it in on time, just submitted it by EXpress Mail....

• sir82
    sir82
    Looks like WTBTS are bringing in a new guy:
    Mario F. Moreno - Lawyer Profile

They hired Cantinflas to defend themselves?

That ought to be good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantinflas

Fortino Mario Alfonso Moreno Reyes, although he called himself Mario Moreno, (August 12, 1911 – April 20, 1993), was a Mexican comic film actor, producer, and screenwriter known professionally as Cantinflas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit