May 2013 Awake suggests screaming to thwart sexual assault

by ParadiseCircus 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ParadiseCircus
    ParadiseCircus

They just can't let it go...

They also provide this tip to avoid being raped: "React quickly. Scream. (Deuteronomy
    22:25-27) Escape or fight back using the element of surprise. And, if possible, run to a safe place and call the police."

• talesin
    talesin

Idiots.

• talesin
    talesin

"He drove me to an abandoned field, where he tried to rape me. I screamed with all my might and he backed off."

SAID NO ABDUCTED WOMAN,,, EVER!!!!

• trujw
    trujw

Has anyone let violence against women groups know about this earth shattering article? Just scream and no one would ever get raped or just go in service and read more watchtowers.

• trujw
  • talesin
    talesin

I sent copies of the article on wife-beating to some shelters, but I received zero response.

I could write to the local women's centre, where I used to work on the rape crisis line. Good suggestion. I will do that.

xo

tal

• Splash
    Splash

It refers the reader to Questions Young People Ask vol 1 p.228:

'In fact, if you are a Christian, it is important that you speak to a congregation elder about what happened. The comforting words of a loving shepherd can assure you that as a victim of rape, you have not been defiled by someone else’s sin. That’s what Annette found. She says: "I talked to a close friend, and she urged me to speak with a couple of Christian elders in my congregation.

I’m glad I did. They sat down with me on several occasions and told me exactly what I needed to hear—that what happened was not my fault. None of it was my fault." '

'Natalie also found comfort in prayer. “Talking to God helped me,” she says.'

'Rely on supportive friends who are like the elders described as being similar to “a hiding place from the wind and a place of concealment from the rainstorm.” '

So there you have it. If you are assaulted tell the elders, your friends and Jehovah.

Splash

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I watch a lot of factual crime shows like Cold Blood, Killer Intinct etc and it appears to me to be total pot luck if screaming helps at all.

I've seen several shows were women end up dead because they resisted and fought and screamed too much and the rapist ended up killing them in an effort to shut them up, a few times is has worked and they got away or the attacker ran off.

The decision to fight back hard and scream loudly is absolutely down to the individual circumstances and the dynamics of the situation and it seems is a complete gamble as to whether it pays off or makes things even worse for the victim.

After all, the ones who scream and lose the gamble aren't around to tell about it are they.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They are not aware of some very important aspects of human nature and danger.

Like animals we have 3 natural responses to danger. Every knows about the flight or fight response. If you can successfully fight off your attacker then by all means fight. If you think you can't fight then run (flight)

What few people realize is that there is a third response - play dead. The play dead response if 100% a natural response to danger when the first two responses don't work or aren't possible. It is instinctive.

The animal or person freezes. They suck in air and hold it breathing very little and wait for the danger to pass.

This response can save lives. But few people realize it. Very few of my sexual abuse clients knew about it but they were greatly relieved to find out their responses were normal.

A JW who went to the elders and explained she did nothing will be accused of fornication or adultery if she is married.

No victim of sexual assault who instinctively responds by playing dead should be blamed or blame herself.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you for bring that out Lady. My response was normal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit