May 2013 Awake suggests screaming to thwart sexual assault

by ParadiseCircus 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

...if a woman screams in the forest, does it make a sound?

Based upon Blondie's remarks above... wouldn't she need 'two witnesses' to prove that she had screamed? If she didn't have 'two witnesses', then it didn't happen.

(Okay, I'm making a poor joke out of it all... ignore me)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jim that is actually a good point. They take sexual matters so seriously that it would not surprise me if they asked for 2 witnesses

• blondie
    blondie

Isn't it that there were 2 or more eyewitnesses to the sin? not that they had not committed the sin?

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Solid ideas these folks have....Solid.

• Splash
    Splash

Confession or two witnesses.

If you say you didn't scream, that's a confession to wrongdoing.

Splash

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Way back in 1964 there was a woman killed while she screamed for help and no one helped. I am pretty sure the WTS had that in an article to show how terrible the world is.

http://www2.southeastern.edu/Academics/Faculty/scraig/gansberg.html

Twenty-eight-year-old Catherine Genovese, who was called Kitty by almost everyone in the neighborhood, was returning home from her job as manager of a bar in Hollis. She parked her red Fiat in a lot adjacent to the Kew Gardens Long Island Railroad Station, facing Mowbray Place. Like many residents of the neighborhood, she had parked there day after day since her arrival from Connecticut a year ago, although the railroad frowns on the practice....

She got as far as a street light in front of a bookstore before the man grabbed her. She screamed. Lights went on in the 10-story apartment house at 82-67 Austin Street, which faces the bookstore. Windows slid open and voices punctuated the early-morning stillness.

Miss Genovese screamed: "Oh, my God, he stabbed me! Please help me! Please help me!"

From one of the upper windows in the apartment house, a man called down: "Let that girl alone!"

The assailant looked up at him, shrugged, and walked down Austin Street toward a white sedan parked a short distance
    away. Miss Genovese struggled to her feet.

Lights went out. The killer returned to Miss Genovese, now trying to make her way around the side of the building by the
    parking lot to get to her apartment. The assailant stabbed her again.

"I'm dying!" she shrieked. "I'm dying!"

Windows were opened again, and lights went on in many apartments. The assailant got into his car and drove away. Miss Genovese staggered to her feet. A city bus, 0-10, the Lefferts Boulevard line to Kennedy International Airport, passed. It was 3:35 A.M.

The assailant returned. By then, Miss Genovese had crawled to the back of the building, where the freshly painted brown
    doors to the apartment house held out hope for safety. The killer tried the first door; she wasn't there. At the second door, 82-62 Austin Street, he saw her slumped on the floor at the foot of the stairs. He stabbed her a third time--fatally.

It was 3:50 by the time the police received their first call, from a man who was a neighbor of Miss Genovese. In two minutes they were at the scene. The neighbor, a 70-year-old woman, and another woman were the only persons on the street. Nobody else came forward.

So much for screaming for help.

According to the WTS the only reason screaming is required is to demonstrate that you don't consent.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Wow..

I'm sorry that happened to you Lady Lee (as well as any other men or women that have been raped/abused). I found your post about the "third response" quite informative.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Sparlock

Yes that third response is not well known as applying to people.

But we tell people "Never run away from a bear. Curl up. Put your hands over your head and play dead".

We know it but we don't KNOW.

It applies in all situations where you can't run or fight. Play dead is a normal response and we have to recognize it for just what it is. Too many victims say "I should have fought or run or ... or...." I think it is vital for all victims of abuse to know they did nothing wrong by freezing and playing dead. I have even talked to therapists and counselors who don't realize this for what it is.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

That's odd, you'd think therapists would recognize the response. I mean, it makes sense; I just personally hadn't thought too many rape victims "froze up." Wouldn't this make it quite difficult to prove in a court case? I would imagine that without physical evidence or any witnesses, you'd be hard pressed to get a conviction. Although most of the time the law enforcement takes the victim's word for it, establishing guilt in court is another matter...

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The responses to this topic thus far are totally ignorant.

What other options does one have at that time when one does not have a weapon?

Has anyone suggested any? I don't see any. What Splash has listed on the first page is what the issue is - whether one screams or not makes one guilty of fornication when one claims rape. What one does at the time, scream or not, is a situational action.

Queenwitch said "What happened to alerting the authorities??? "

In the taxi would this Karin have that occasion to do that? Later yes, but not at that time.

But then the best way to thwart assault is, since assaults are done when someone is not cooperating and they want to force someone to cooperate, to voluntarily cooperate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit