Mentally Diseased

by Mum 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Mum
    Mum

Apparently (I'm taking others' word for it) the Watchtower publications are asserting that "apostates," i.e., those who have chosen to no longer be Jehovah's Witnesses, are "mentally diseased." There are some important issues with this assertion.

First, they are not mental health professionals and in no position to diagnose mental illness. Do they believe we all have the same "mental disease," or are there different diagnoses for different people who come to their senses?

Their way of dealing with those they allegedly believe to be mentally diseased is shunning and/or harassment. Do psychiatrists routinely prescribe shunning as a treatment? I DON'T THINK SO! Treating the mentally ill in such a callous way could be a considered a crime. Can you imagine a psychiatric hospital where the doctors, nurses, therapists and other personnel are told to treat the mentally ill individual by shunning them because this is "loving" and will bring them around?

Shunning is childish at best. Even to say that is probably an insult to children.

I refuse to accept the label of "mentally diseased" from those who are entirely unqualified to make that diagnosis.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I like your questions; perhaps if a Witness said this, a good comeback would be to ask, "Oh, what do they have? What disease?"

Shunning is childish at best.

I can't agree more. It's basically like punishing a kid by making them sit in a corner, except that it's not always for any particularly good reason, and we're not even (supposed to be) in a position of authority over them. If we're all brothers and sisters, and often the same age as a DFed associate, why are we treating the DFed one like a naughty child with a dunce cap on?

• vexxed
    vexxed

Hate speach...

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

I can just hear a deluded JW answer with "but its God who is diagnosing "

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

Blinders, I'm hearing more of "Our way of thinking is not God's way of thinking."

• zeb
    zeb

DISEASE. Come from two parts dis -eased. Yes they are dis -eased ie not at ease. No one could live AT- EASE when faced with some of the horrors that have graced these pages.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

Mum, this is an absolutely excellent post (and I don't think I've ever said that before to anyone). This is exactly the angle that is so powerful, wow, grand slam, just a absolute grand slam. it is like you are saying to them in the most powerful possible way "here jw leaders, let me help you take those blinders off so you can see yourselves objectively"--and saying it in the most humble, lowly minded, innocent, hungry to learn way....this is the most powerful post that i've ever read.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Well, agree with Watchtower's application or not, it is a scripture and if they consider themselves to be teaching the truth, it is only appropriate that they use the scripture about those who once believed but now speak against them ... just saying ... I don't agree with them, but I don't see how they are misapplying it from their point of view.

NWT (1 Timothy 6:3-4) 3?If any man teaches other doctrine and does not assent to healthful words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, nor to the teaching that accords with godly devotion, 4?he is puffed up [with pride], not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words.

NIV 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions

New Living Translation 3 Some people may contradict our teaching, but these are the wholesome teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. These teachings promote a godly life. 4 Anyone who teaches something different is arrogant and lacks understanding. Such a person has an unhealthy desire to quibble over the meaning of words. This stirs up arguments ending in jealousy, division, slander, and evil suspicions.

English Standard Version ... 3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound b words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4 he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, 5 and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

New American Standard Bible ... 3 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness, 4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,

Barnes' Notes on the Bible

But doting - Margin, "sick." The Greek word - νοσε´ω noseo¯ - means properly to be sick; then to languish, to pine after. The meaning here is, that such persons had a sickly or morbid desire for debates of this kind. They had not a sound and healthy state of mind on the subject of religion. They were like a sickly man, who has no desire for solid and healthful food, but for that which will gratify a diseased appetite. They desired not sound doctrine, but controversies about unimportant and unsubstantial matters - things that bore the same relation to important doctrines which the things that a sick man pines after do to substantial food.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible

Doting about questions - He is sick, distempered, about these questions relative to the Mosaic law and the traditions of the elders; for it is most evident that the apostle has the Judaizing teachers in view, who were ever, in questions of theology, straining out a gnat, and swallowing a camel.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

but doting about questions and strifes of words: or he is "sick or diseased"; his mind is distempered; he is like one in a fever, that is delirious; his head is light and wild; his fancy is roving, and he talks of things he knows not what; his head runs upon "questions"; foolish and unlearned ones, about the law and works, and the necessity of them to justification and salvation; concerning genealogies, and other fruitless and unprofitable subjects:

Vincent's Word Studies

Doting (νοσω?ν)

N.T.o. Lit. sick. Comp. υ?γιαι´νουσι healthful, 1 Timothy 6:3.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

concerning "the law", and receiving "everlasting life":luke 10:27 says love god and also your neighbor....that is the law of christ....so who is to say anyone here broke that law and is now qualified to be spoken of in the context of the above cited scriptures (from various bibles) in the first place...?

• smiddy
    smiddy

The bible IS like a musical insrument that you can play any tune on ,that is why jehovahs witnesses can speak out of both sides of their mouth at the same time and not see any problem with it .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit