Mentally diseased translation in NWT.

by newdawnfades 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *lost*
    *lost*

Bang on - THEY ARE diseased mentally. beyond reason. Blind.

dellusions of grandeur?

They cannot get to the deeper meaning of things. It is impossible for them. They are blinded. lost in darkness. lost mentally, lack of education and real knowledge of life in the real world environment.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yet more proof that the NWT is a pile of bovine excrement translated by idiots.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Weymouth uses "crazy" which seems about on the same level as "mentally diseased".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

...and why do I get the impression that the WBT$ is obsessed with mental illness just to use this as an ad hominem?

Anointed are nuts - August 15, 2011 Watchtower (the study edition) pg 22 QfR: Memorial partakers. This is the number
    of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed
    ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors—including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance—might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones.

Apostates are nuts – July 15, 2011 WT ‘’Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings." ‘’ 7 What is involved in avoiding false teachers? We do not receive them into our homes or greet them.

We also refuse to read their literature, watch TV programs that feature them, examine their Web sites, or add

our comments to their blogs.’’

...and yet they've come out with this stuff..........

*** kj 377 20 Land of Magog No More to Threaten Mankind ***The unburied dead, those slain by Jehovah, will be so enormously many that even the carrion birds and scavenging wild beasts could never take care of their consumption. The burial of even what remains after these lower creatures have their fill would be stupendous. Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the war of the great day to see and witness.

*** yw 322 12 The "Prince" of the Sanctuary Stands Up *** In this prophecy God warns that he will also use other natural forces that are at his disposal, possibly a rain of antimatter that has the property of annihilating any material thing that it meets. He warns all scoffers that he

"The face of the deep, of course, would be toward the Pleiades, which are claimed to be the habitation of Jehovah." (Creation; 1927; 2,175,000 ed.; p. 94)

"The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve even as our sun's planets obey the sun and travel in their respective orbits. It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;..." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

"The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared with the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

• Emery
    Emery

Too bad Paul didn't write 1st or 2nd Timothy. The author (possibly Polycarp) of those pastoral epistles was actually mentally diseased with putting women down, establishing heirarchy, and many other idea's which were not Pauline.

So forget about translation bias and just throw the whole thing out the window.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Looking at the various meanings from all of the different translations one sees a great example of why the NT is worthless. We have no idea who really wrote what or if we do what was changed or added to hundreds of years latter.

The same with the OT........ books written by Jews for Jews yet quoted by Christians as if it was really intended for them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know I have met folks who are obsessed with arguments, strife. Sure, I'd kick out those types out of my club if I could, too. But these days people usually put up with a few kooks.

That doesn't fit the profile of most people who leave the Witnesses.

Greek word for "mentally diseased" noseo {nos-eh'-o}, G3552. (I get it! Nauseous - jgnat).

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1ti6.pdf

1) to be sick 2) metaph. of any ailment of the mind 2a) to be taken with such an interest in a thing as amounts to a disease, to have a morbid fondness for (Thayer's)

From G3554; to be sick, that is, (by implication of a diseased appetite) to hanker after (figuratively to harp upon):—dote. (Strong's) NASB - has a morbid interest(1), morbid interest(1). (NAS Exhaustive Concordance)

http://www.lexiconcordance.com/greek/3552.html
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Like I mentioned above, the similarity and the heavy use the Bible Students made of Rotheram's translation makes it the most likely influence for this verse:

1 Tim 6:4 He is beclouded, knowing, nothing, rightly, but is diseased about questionings, and word-battles—out of which spring envy, strife, defamations, wicked surmising,

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't really see a problem with the translation myself. Although "obsessed" seems like the most obvious word choice in the present day, perhaps word use has shifted in this respect since most of the above translations were made. Out of those alternate translations, only the World English Bible from 1997 uses "obsessed".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit