I got the dreaded call about the memorial

by thecrushed 23 Replies latest jw friends

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

her mother guilts her several times a day via texts. i cant stop it. she will probably go and start crying during the memorial.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

she sits with my dad when she does get guilted by her mother. then my dad trys ro rhink of guilting me too. sorry im on phone typin.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi thecrushed, Do what is best for you, your wife, and children (if you have any).

If you do decide to go, at least watch some of Steve Hassan's videos for yours and your wife's emotional health and maybe to help you to plant seeds of doubts in your JW family and friends at the Memorial. Reading Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones to Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"). Or, talking to Steve Hassan (or one of his coaches) may help you more - spending $100 now could be cheaper than spending more later.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

just was approuched by a homeless man my age who was genuinly down on his luck. i gave him my lunch and 1 dollar in change. i asked him about his story and tried to be encouraging. He wouldnt look me in the eye. It was so sad. I told him i had been homeless at onw time which is true and about my addiction to drugs. he wasnt too dirty so gave him a hug. i never would have done that as a jw. i feel better now despite my cult issues. i only wish i could have helped that poor man more.

• flipper
    flipper

THE CRUSHED- Good for you my friend in showing kindness to the homeless man. As a JW many times a lot of us would just walk on by, myself included. Like yourself I feel I've become much more caring as a human being since I stopped attending over 9 years ago as well.

As for your memorial situation I agree with the others, please your wife, it's HER you have to live with not dad. My dad's been a long time elder for years and I could never live up to his expectations as a JW into my early 40's. After awhile I decided there was no NEED to live up to his expectations, that I was my own man and that no matter what I did I'd never receive any commendation from him anyway due to his guilt trips on me from being a devout elder in the JW cult. The main thing is that you and your wife are a little family unit - so make sure THAT relationship is good and happy. Just my 2 cents

• bigmac
    bigmac

i think if i were now begged/nagged/blackmailed into attending the watchtower version of the passover---i would get totally hammered beforehand.

then--try to fart out loud a few times--then fall asleep--hopefully snoring loudly.

better still--drop the bread things when passed by you--or spill the wine.

bet you wont get an invite next year.

• BroMac
    BroMac

Nice thing you did for the homeless guy. I donated my time for the Help the Heroes, simply because that is what the good samaritan would have done. Regardless of how he felt about the war.

• Mary
    Mary

I haven't been to the meetings for about 6 years now and I try to avoid the Memorial at all costs. I thought I was going to be able to dodge it this year, but my elderly parents are post-poning their vacation so that they can go to their own Memorial. Which means I'll probably end up having to go unless I come down with the bubonic plague.

My parents are not fanatical Dubs, they know I think it's a crock, but they don't treat me (or any of my 'postate friends) any differently, so I will usually bite the bullet and go to the Memorial to make them happy. Funny, if they were fanatical Dubs, I wouldn't go no matter what they say.

Wait a minute......what are those spots all over my arms??!!!

• Mum
    Mum

I would like to say that you shouldn't go just to please someone else, but with the dubs it's just not that simple.

You should, however, make it clear that you guys could do many things as a family if he were not so servile to his masters in Brooklyn.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We've talked about the MIL before, haven't we? As far as I can tell, it's that unhealthy bond with your wife that has to be broken first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit