I got the dreaded call about the memorial

by thecrushed 23 Replies latest jw friends

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

I haven't been to the meetings in just about a full year and I get a call this morning from my dad inviting me. His words were full of guilt trip. He said he would like us to go as a family like I'm breaking it up if I don't go. My wife is still a believer but rarely goes and I've finally gained some cymblince of normal. I'm afraid this memorial is going to stir her into a frenzy of fear, hatred, and depression again because I've made it clear to her that I'm never coming back. Should I ablige my family and go and let them have false hope or just bear the brunt of their anger and disapointment in me. I don't know if I can bear to listen to that drival anymore. I feel like throwing up now.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Do what's best for your wife. She is your family now. If you stay home will she? If she is going regardless then might as well accompany her and make your whole family feel cozy for an hour.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Although I can't tell you what to do, I think you've answered your own question in terms of the safest route.

Sadly, as you know, your Dad thinks Jehovah(TM) will murder you SOON if you don't go to this one turgid mock the Christ ritual.

You have my sympathy. I wouldn't go because I stand by my desicion never to go again....but that's just me.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

if you told them, your never going back and you go, how would that make you look? do you think they may feel your word is not good? do you think they would reason ,well he must still believe in his heart because he here?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Personally, I would rather be annihilated by the Watchtower god than to attend the JW's satanic

ritual and watch all those deceived people unknowingly reject Jesus because they believe 8

demon possessed men in New york.

• moshe
    moshe

To thine own self be true-

When you have JW relatives, it's hard to put off the final showdown at the OK Corral, forever-- which is what most faders hope to accomplish. Just wishful thinking, IMO.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Moshe, there has to come a point where you make it plain to them you ain't ever goin' again, not to any meeting. Mine know that I would not even attend a funeral of one of my closest relatives if it were held in a Kingdom Hall.

Since that has all been made plain, relationships have in fact been easier, they never talk religion, suits me, but they welcome me and talk of normal things.

Bite the bullet, tell 'em !

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

I did make it clear already to the very person who is now asking. His own wife goes with him even though she isnt a believer to appease him. I just dont want all the subtle guilttrps from the congregation if i should show and im not sure how i would react now. i dont spare peoples feelings anymote if they say cultish insensitve remarks. My emotions will clearly mark me as pissed off the entire time. sigh either way my family will find some way to punish me for my insubordinstion to the cult.

• BroMac
    BroMac

Dont have anything to do with Cults. Ever.

PS. Why don't I listen to my own advice?. That'll be the 30yrs of Cultin' I been doin'

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

As others have said, do what is best for you and your wife. If she isn't going, can you make plans to do something else that evening, like dinner and a movie, to keep her mind occupied so she isn't thinking and feeling guilty for not going?

And if your phone has caller ID, would you consider using that feature to make sure you don't answer for a couple weeks if it's someone who is going to make you feel guilty ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit