Long Overdue Observation

by earthfire 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• earthfire
    earthfire

I just thought this was funny when it popped into my head this morning. Funny because I should have thought of it long ago and I'm sure that I'm not the first to think this. The big point comes after my little spiel.

So, God tells Noah to build an ark because he has a lot of killing of the wicked to do and only Noah and his family seem to be good enough. If he can get other people on board great (was there room made for other people?). Anyway, Noah and his 3 sons build this megaship, they get all the animals on the ship (presumably even the ones that don't live on his continent and so on) then the rain starts to fall, the family gets on board and God finally lifts a finger to help and shuts the door. The Great Flood (First Armageddon) happens, the world is cleansed of the wicked, the waters recede, they get off the ark and all of the animals are released (but why don't some of those species of animals exist on that continent now?) They were vegetarians but now that there isn't any plant-life (except for the bush that the ram is stuck in and the tree that the dove lands on...) so now they're meat eaters but there's only two of each animal so how will they do that, especially with nothing to feed them? hmmm Time goes on, Noah plants a vineyard and loves to drink in excess.

SO my point is this, even if you can believe that Noah lived for 950 years as we calculate them today, it all happened in HIS lifetime. From being warned all the way to after the flood. But now we are expected to wait generation after generation (or is it just one big, continued generation now) a couple of Noah's lifetimes anyway. Why so long?

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Good observation. I'm still derailing the whole account.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

It's a myth. Obviously.

• tiki
    tiki

god works in mysterious ways...

the meat thing is interesting though - i never thought of that...perhaps there were species that survived the great deluge, high on a mountain top somewhere? goats perhaps? and then as time wore on and people over-indulged in goat flesh they began to develop goat-like features....as opposed to sheeplike features. nah....nutz.........

my thing about the noah and ark story is basically - there is most assuredly an ark that fits the description up there in turkey in the ararat region....and folklore of just about every culture has a flood story..........it came from somewhere..something.....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But now we are expected to wait generation after generation (or is it just one big, continued generation now a couple of Noah's lifetimes anyway.

Why so long?

Its called abstract marketing, stories derived out of bible help nourish the foreboding thought that the world will be destroyed of all its wickedness

again and soon soon soon soon ..... well until the Watchtower publishing house shuts down at least.

There is a good portion of Bullshitting in this religious organization for those smart enough to see it.

Another thought to ponder upon the Great flood is why did God kill mankind and all those animals when he knew that Noah

and his family members still inherited humanity's sin from Adam and that the world would eventually return to the previous state before the flood ?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The usual answer for that, Finkelstein, that I heard from fellow JWs was that things were advancing from bad to worse too quickly and God needed to step in to preserve true worship. Not unlike the Tower of Babel incident, except that in this case, if Noah and his family were all that were left, it really was nearly the end of God having any servants at all left on Earth.

What I started wondering as I grew up was, "Okay, killing all the humans I get, but why did he have to use a method that killed all the animals too?" That seemed very unnecessarily cruel to me.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I believe the flood story...but more than that, I get the message of it. Even if some of the stories aren't literally true, you can still get the actual "moral" of the story, which is more important, probably.

• earthfire
    earthfire

Another thought to ponder upon the Great flood is why did God kill mankind and all those animals when he knew that Noah

and his family members still inherited humanity's sin from Adam and that the world would eventually return to the previous state before the flood ?

Good thought Finkelstein. The lack of critical thinking in religion, specific of course to JW for my personal interests, drives me nuts. But this is of course why I used to get into trouble. Too many questions is "a lack of faith". Morals of stories are one thing and can have great value but when taken as literal happenings then you have to be able to back those stories up with facts. It creates an all or nothing sequence.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Also, JW propose to be the "ark" when, actually, Jesus is. I think the point is that God provides way of escape or a savior. And we have to remember that his ways are not our ways and we only can see a little bit of the puzzle and he is looking at the finished product and everything fits together perfectly. That's why Satan is so crafty and uses confusion. Yes, faith is important! Personally, I stubbornly hold on to my faith, regardless of what I am told!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It should be realized that constructive analytical thinking and religion do not pare well together.

Isn't organized religion largely responsible for obscuring and hiding the Truth within its theological expressions ?,

for example why was the the story oif the the flood of Noah told in the first place ? , obviously it was done so by the

ancient Hebrews to create a sense of power and relevance to their own particular god of worship at the time ( YHWH) .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit