Ricky Gervais on atheism & some ideas we can relate to

by alecholmesthedetective 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

I found this article really interesting because of the similar thoughts Ricky expresses I could relate to and think are good food for thought irrespect of what you believe at the present time. Here it is:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

For example...

People who believe in God don’t need proof of his existence, and they certainly don’t want evidence to the contrary. They are happy with their belief. They even say things like “it’s true to me” and “it’s faith.”

The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s not a matter of opinion. You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts.

As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral. It’s strange that anyone who believes that an all-powerful all-knowing, omniscient power responsible for everything that happens, would also want to judge and punish people for what they are. From what I can gather, pretty much the worst type of person you can be is an atheist. The first four commandments hammer this point home. There is a god, I’m him, no one else is, you’re not as good and don’t forget it. (Don’t murder anyone, doesn’t get a mention till number 6.)

75 percent of Americans are God-­-fearing Christians; 75 percent of prisoners are God-­-fearing Christians. 10 percent of Americans are atheists; 0.2 percent of prisoners are atheists.

I used to believe in God. The Christian one that is.

I loved Jesus. He was my hero. More than pop stars. More than footballers. More than God. God was by definition omnipotent and perfect. Jesus was a man. He had to work at it. He had temptation but defeated sin. He had integrity and courage. But He was my hero because He was kind. And He was kind to everyone. He didn’t bow to peer pressure or tyranny or cruelty. He didn’t care who you were. He loved you. What a guy. I wanted to be just like Him.

But anyway, there I was happily drawing my hero when my big brother Bob asked, “Why do you believe in God?” Just a simple question. But my mum panicked. “Bob,” she said in a tone that I knew meant, “Shut up.” Why was that a bad thing to ask? If there was a God and my faith was strong it didn’t matter what people said.

But living an honest life -– for that you need the truth. That’s the other thing I learned that day, that the truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity.

In a way they are asking “what makes you so special? “How come you weren’t brainwashed with the rest of us?” “How dare you say I’m a fool and I’m not going to heaven, f— you!” Let’s be honest, if one person believed in God he would be considered pretty strange. But because it’s a very popular view it’s accepted. And why is it such a popular view? That’s obvious. It’s an attractive proposition. Believe in me and live forever. Again if it was just a case of spirituality this would be fine.

“Do unto others…” is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -­- a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life. And that’s where spirituality really lost its way. When it became a stick to beat people with. “Do this or you’ll burn in hell.”

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

This might apply to many, but now, especially since 1947. Now we are experiencing the miracles God promised, like the appearance of the "sign of the son of man" (Matt. 24:29-30). Plus, I, of course, being the Christ, got to have a personal interview with God, so I can confirm for those who can figure out from the bible that I'm the Christ that the God of the Bible is truly real. I'm an eyewitness!

So atheism is just a fantasy, completely disproven for those who know better. The mistake many make is the presumption that because God doesn't appear to the masses or to them personally, that he isn't apperaing to anyone. That's just not true.

Anyway, it is very nice to KNOW FOR SURE rather than to have to guess!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    Plus, I, of course, being the Christ, got to have a personal interview with God, so I can confirm for those who can figure out from the bible that I'm the Christ that the God of the Bible is truly real.

Of course...

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Very good read, love Ricky Gervais. Thanks for posting

• still thinking
    still thinking

Anyway, it is very nice to KNOW FOR SURE rather than to have to guess!

It is indeed sad that all the gods make us guess... They seem to enjoy that classic game..hide and seek...little rascals!

• glenster
    glenster

Ricki's case isn't as balanced as it could be on the points brought up.

If the point is not wanting harm or misinformation, the basic concepts of God
    and atheism don't come with character determinants and there's proof of neither.
    Don't be 'centric or intolerant about either since being so has caused some of
    the biggest abominations in history. Making either law of the land is institu-
    tionalized 'centric intolerance.

If you add stipulations beyond that, add liberal not conservative ("proof" of
    God, rights for women and LGBT people, evolution, cosmology, etc.).

"The existence of God is not subjective. He either exists or he doesn’t. It’s
    not a matter of opinion."

Forced point. If the suggestions I gave are agreed to. the analogy with the
    freedom of subjective reactions to music beyond the math of the music is a good
    one, notably with regard to not wanting harm over differing subjective reactions
    or misinformation about the known things. Otherwise, the quoted statement veers
    toward requiring mathematical proof for subjective reaction to music/mistaken
    claims of proof God is or isn't, which are misinformation.

Part of understanding a choice to hope or not in a possibility is that harm
    isn't justified for a possibility, not a proven, because arbitrary harm is
    sadism and murder. It's an ironic point to try to force past in a plea for not
    wanting harm.

"You can have your own opinions. But you can’t have your own facts."

True.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

When it became a stick to beat people with. “Do this or you’ll burn in hell.”

This line is brillliant because until God says it to me himself it is only the words of men.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Love Ricky Gervais - Loved the part he spoke about Noah and getting the animals into the ark - if you look at it from a logical point of view - you see the fairytale quality straight away - put into one of his comedies and it's halarious.

• cantleave
    cantleave

RG is a very funny guy with a great perspective to believe and faith. Thanks for posting.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Ricky Gervais - As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm.

I thought this to be the case but now have concluded that it is a matter of degree. Many people believe in a god and that belief brings them comfort. The harm is done when people take their belief to extremes and allow it to take over their lives. In the end they are on a mission to save the world. I have seen the damage it has done to my own family, all of whom now shun me, except one brother. My other brother, who is in his 50's, is still eaking out a living with a window cleaning round. He lives in a tiny house, has no pension and shuns me, as he waits for the 'new world.' It is pitiful to see the way that his fantasy believes have improverised him and robbed him of living a fuller life. I loved him deeply.

Family members didn’t shun me initially but as I tried to reach out to them and discus the contradictions in their beliefs they started to withdraw. I wrote a book about Jehovah's Witness and the curtain came down. So it was my own fault that I lost my family. Should I have stood by and watched them waste their lives without expressing my concern? The answer for me is no. If you love someone you reach out and try to help, whatever the cost.

My brother and ex-family are just one example who happen to be Jehovah's Witnesses. All religious belief can have the same effect. Over the years I have seen other people that I care for move down the slippery slope of placing their hopes and expectation in magical thinking. As each year passes they slide further and further down that slippery slope. In time the gap between them and those that cannot accept their fantasy becomes more difficult to bridge. If their partner does not come on board, divorce is common. Birds of a feather flock together and fragile truces between people with opposing views seldom last unless one side is prepared to remain silent.

To speak out and challenge or to remain silent? That is the question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit