Shunning a myth says jw spokesman

by doofdaddy 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The "Slamming the door on Jehovah" is currently the 5th most popular article at The Age online, with almost 14,000 views.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

The key to Vin Toole's comment -- and thinking -- is his statement that "Baptised members who drift away are not treated badly." Like all JWs who practise doublethink, he thinks that if people leave, they should go quietly, hiding their change in outlook and telling no one of their complaints about the religion; then they'll be left in peace. To them, shunning is reserved for the trouble-makers who tell lies about the religion or try to induce others to follow them.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

There is no chance of a response Steve. He's a legal man he'll wait to see if the article and the enquiry get traction. He knows that shunning is against the UN charter of human rights but they will cry religious freedom when cornered. Kinda like Hey you signed up (got baptised) you should have read and understood the contract first. And the ultimate cop out? It's a personal matter between family members... Those articles may cause a few sleepless nights though!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Sorry MM your post came in while I was writing. Good points but as said previous, he'll keep being vague until it gets to an enquiry.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    "Baptised members who drift away are not treated badly."

Almost every word in this statement has a 'special meaning'.

• Baptised - people they imagine to be subject to the alleged 'verbal contract' implied by the 2 'baptism questions'
    • Members - people who are shunned are no longer members, and therefore excluded from the statement
    • Drift away - still members, but having little or no contact with JWs, so there is little difference from being shunned anyway
    • Not treated badly - as opposed to the former members who are shunned?
  • doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Excellent points! Marking all comments just in case...

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I really hope you get a response. It would be amusing to hear more double-speak from Mr Toole.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68
    It would be amusing to hear more double-speak from Mr Toole.

It's all double-speak. The page at jw.org on 'shunning' says that they don't shun... and they do shun. Toole can just quote whichever part of that he likes.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I’m looking forward to the result of your letter of inquiry, Steve_C. I doubt that Toole will have the courage to directly answer you, but by all means, please keep us in the loop.

Quendi

• irondork
    irondork

Jeffro: Not treated badly - as opposed to the former members who are shunned?

"Not treated badly" could also refer to the loving arrangement of disfellowshippment and shunning in bringing these members back to Jehovah. It's not bad to do something loving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit