I WENT TO EASTER MASS!!!

by voltaire 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I was a JW for 7 and a half years before returning to the Catholic Church. All the while I was a Witness I was in a state of confusion, doubt and questioning. It was the questioning that led me right back to where I began. Now I can read Scripture and see that the Watchtower explanation is not the only one. Except for sickness or lack of transportation, I seldom miss Sunday Mass. And I enjoyed the Easter liturgy, too.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

LDH,

You said,

I thought Catholic Mass was given in Latin. !?!?!
    This hasn't been true since the mid '60's with the reforms of Vatican II. True, you can still find masses offered in Latin, but the vernacular (the common language) is now the language used in almost all masses. Therefore, if you have an area with a large Hispanic population you can have a mass in Spanish. It's possible to find Polish language masses in New York and Chicago. Etc etc

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I almost went.

I had agreed to go with my husband on Easter. However, the night before I got cold feet.

I have been to many Catholic masses since leaving the dubs. All with my husband and/or MIL. However, as you noted, the buildings are beautiful and everyone is usually friendly. I don't quite like the hand shaking and saying "peace be with you" or something along that line during the mass...I cannot recall exactly what they say. I also sit and watch everyone go take communion. Myself and a few others are the only ones who don't...very uncomfortable.

On Easter I just decided I could not go. My husband wants me to meet with a priest and talk about my lack of faith in God and Jesus. He thinks that we were meant for each other and a higher being brought us together. He thinks that a priest will convince me that there is a God....I know it won't happen and feel like I would be deceiving him if I agreed to go and debate, only to have my mind made up.

The night before Easter, we talked for hours about religion. I, again, went over JW beliefs and even though they are a cult, they are believing in the same thing...the bible, christ, etc. They both control women...he does not agree with that, however, he would never tell his mother or a priest that.

The bottom line is faith. I seem to have none and he has a lot. We talked about dying. What happens after. I said nothing, I have no soul so I am just dead. He is amazed by how (we have discussed this before) the JW's teach that. He believes in heaven and he is going to try to make it there.

Anyway, for now, I have agreed to go to Sunday mass once in a while. If we go on Saturday, at 5 pm, with dinner at a restaurant to follow. I will not go on Sunday on principle. I had to get up every friggin Saturday and Sunday morning from the time I was 4 to when I was 19. I won't do it now.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

(((puffsrule)))

Puffs, you have go at your own pace. Don't ever let anyone pressure you into anything again!

I learned that and I don't pressure my husband. And I don't let people pressure me.

Saturday evening Mass and dinner afterwards sounds really good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit