I WENT TO EASTER MASS!!!

by voltaire 13 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

I actually stepped into a Catholic church for the first time in my life last Sunday. I friend of mine didn't have anyone to go with her, so I offered take her. I went mostly out of curiousity. For someone raised as a witness from a very young age it was quite an unusual experience. I thought I'd share some observations with you.

I realized for the first time the appeal of the Catholic church. It's BIG and IMPRESSIVE. I loved the building, if for nothing else, for its artistic value. I felt so humbled by its grandeur. The people were very nice, very kind. There was lots of music. One song invited us to shake hands with our brothers, which was fun. The mass was in Spanish. There wasn't a sermon in the traditional sense, with a message. My friend said that usually there is a message, but today was different since it was Easter.

I also realized the appeal of the witnesses. I thought about the men around me, men of very little means and education. In the Catholic faith, there's really little room for participation on the part of individuals, which I think may make things seem a bit impersonal. I like that aspect, though. For me there was a healthy anonymity, not impersonalness. But I can see where the witnesses create a community that allows people to develop their abilities, to find fulfillment, to learn to teach and to speak in public. The great amount of personal attention may seem very flattering to one raised in the anonymity of the church, just as it seemed refreshing to me, one raised in a rather controlling atmoshpere.

There were lots of other interesting things about it all that I'll share with you later.

• Kevinson
    Kevinson

I've been to a catholic church and I must agree with you. I watch mass on EWTN when I'm bored sometimes.

• LDH
    LDH
    The mass was in Spanish

Really?!?! I thought Catholic Mass was given in Latin. !?!?!

This would be news to me. I've been in many Catholic Churches, and unlike the JW at least they employ someone with a sense of art and architecture, not those freakin cracker box KHs, LOL

Lisa

• willy_think
    willy_think
    In the Catholic faith, there's really little room for participation on the part of individuals, which I think may make things seem a bit impersonal

i understand what you mean by this but i would like to mention that every individual is called to full participation in the mass. the responses must not be parroted back they need to be said with the understanding that one is in the presence of all the saints and angels of heaven, a son of the farther in an active act of worship. when words are spoken like "i confess to almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters, in what i have done, and what i failed to do.." or when hands are rased in the lords prayer, if one is fully present and offering his or her self to the lord, there is no more joyful form of worship participation in the mass is not like participation at the hall that is true, but the mass is worship and communion with the lord, not a sails meeting, so that kind of participation isn't needed.

• voltaire
    voltaire

Thanks for the feedback!

LDH Everything was in Spanish. But it wasn't the regular program, mind you. It was Easter. ( I went with my Mexican friend BTW)

Willy- Maybe I should rephrase my remarks about participation. Obviously there's no direct participation by most members in the services. And there isn't a body of elders and MSs who run the show, but a very limited number of (2 in this case) priests. At the hall, a man of little education could be a MS in a year and giving talks from the platform. So, in a very significant sense, there are opportunities for JW men to participate that would not be open to the vast majority of Catholics.

Also, don't take what I said as a derisive remark. It's not bad, just different. And I think it helps explain why each group has its own appeal. In my case, after several years of worrying about letting the wrong thing slip in conversation about how I really feel about the JWs, that kind of anonymity is wonderful. For those itchin' to have a more prominent role, the KH gives more people a chance.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Hi. Everyone's remarks are so interesting. I love to hear different perspectives. LDH made me laugh when he/she said she/he thought Mass was in Latin. Actually, my mom does go to Latin Mass once in a while. But Mass is held in the common language of the land all over the world. Guess that's just a Watchtower "thing".

I wanted to add my two cents since I am a "revert" to the Catholic Church after my stint in JWism.

First of all, I was very surprized to find that every part of the Mass/Liturgy comes directly from the Scriptures. That really shocked me when I looked into it since it was ingrained in me that it was a "human tradition." LOL

Secondly, as someone already pointed out, I love the feeling that when I am saying the "Hosana in the highest" it is the same prayer that all the angels and saints say in heaven forever and ever like in the book of Revelation.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Catholics are "saints" by any means. But that was the MOST impressive part of it for me. One of the first things we say in Mass is "Forgive me Lord for I am a sinner... in my thoughts, in my words, in what I have done, in what I have failed to do..." And we ALL are sinners.

It was refreshing to be humble instead of self-righteous. I haven't gone to Mass regularly for about two years. But when I went on Sunday, I realize I miss it. My kids miss it too. And even my hubby (who was brought up JW) enjoyed it and said he would go if we start going.

Well, that's my two cents.

• RWC
    RWC

After growing up in the Lutheran faith where everything was dry and cold, I started going to the Catholic church and found it very spiritual. I went on what they call an ACTS (Adoration, community, theology, and service) retreat which was a lifechanging experience. It was very spiritual and moving. One of the things that really moves me is that I know that whatever our parish is talking about that day, through the readings and the Gospel, I know that churches all over the world are also talking about. It gives you a real sense of community.

• TR
    TR

Very interesting, voltaire.

I was married in the RCC. It was the church my wife went to school at. She's been making noises about going back, and that we failed our children for not raising them in the church. It would be a bit difficult to start attending. The kids are used to no religion.

But anyway, I appreciate the comments about the RCC. BTW, the diocese, or whatever it's called, here in Spokane has made a public statement that there has been no allegations of child molestation in our area.

TR

• Will Power
    Will Power

Definition:
    catholic (adj.) 1. universal; relating to all men; all-inclusive. 2. comprehensive in interests, tasts, etc., broad minded, liberal..

Catholic adj. Christianity. 1. denoting or relating to the entire body of Christians, esp. to the Church before separation

Catholic Church n. any of several Churches claiming to have maintained continuity with the ancient and undivided Church.

Watchtower seems to have a their own definition of these words.

Did anyone watch Jesus Christ Superstar last wkd? Hey sanna, ho sanna, sanna, sanna hey, great tune.

• willy_think
    willy_think

Growing up, like my farther before me, I was catholic in name alone.
    when I first came to this site I was without faith in any God, all I wanted to do is vent the anger and frustration of watching my family get sucked into the WT Conn. my dad under the WT influence, started saying things about the church that i know were incorrect and misleading I had no love for the church but neither did I have any hate, so I looked into the issues. I foolishly thought that, if I showed him accurate catholic teachings, he would see that the WT was intentionally misleading him, using untruths and half-truths to manipulate his perspective. cut and dry, or so I thought. Any way that's how the WT brought me to the church. lol
    The point I wanted to make before I started rambling is, only a year or so ago, you couldn't post anything positive about the church without getting dumped on and shunned it's nice to see the change not just with the Catholics but with all Christian denominations, atheists and non-Christians. It's my hope that the Baptists and the others who use this bord feal more acceptance too, since there is less religion based bashing then there was once upon a time. JW. com is becoming a place were we truly can discuss anything JW related, not just the trading of insults but the exchange of information, not just the spreading of our bigotry but the sharing of our varied perspectives.

(1 Corinthians, 13:13)
    "So faith hope, love, remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Main Entry: cath·o·lic
    Pronunciation: 'kath-lik, 'ka-th&-
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French catholique, from Late Latin catholicus, from Greek katholikos universal, general, from katholou in general, from kata by + holos whole —more at CATA-, SAFE
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : often capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the church universal b : often capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the ancient undivided Christian church or a church claiming historical continuity from it c : capitalized : ROMAN CATHOLIC
    2 : COMPREHENSIVE, UNIVERSAL; especially : broad in sympathies, tastes, or interests
    - ca·thol·i·cal·ly /k&-'thä-li-k(&-)lE/ adverb
    - ca·thol·i·cize /-'thä-l&-"sIz/ verb

Main Entry: Cath·o·lic
    Pronunciation: 'kath-lik, 'ka-th&-
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 : a person who belongs to the universal Christian church
    2 : a member of a Catholic church; especially : ROMAN CATHOLIC
    hay will,
    I watch most of Jesus Christ Superstar last wkd good movie.
    When I was a kid we would sing a song that went; "Jesus Christ, supper star, who in the world do you think you are, cops are chasing him, he don't care, he's got bullet proof underwear......."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit