Does anybody know how they elect new Governing Body members?

by dgp 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

They attach electrodes to the candidate's head.

If nothing registers on the tape, he's the chosen one.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I have no idea. But if we are talking "Holy Spirit", why is there 2/3 vote on anything? That sounds like plain men making decisions...Aren't they, like the Catholic Pope, suppose to be our mediator...Do they all "hear" something different? How is electing/anointing/appointing a new Governing Body member, any different than for those, voting for a new Pope. If God speaks to you, how can there be so many different opinions?

Just Lois

• new22day
    new22day

This is a great question. I'm surprised no one seems to know the offical procedures, protocol etc. You'd think an org that's been leading people for more than 100 years would have a process all members understood -- they say they are J's mediators on earth afterall. Kind of a big job?!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Probably the same procedure as any old boy's club- they just count the balls.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't know the procedure, but I would bet a shed load of money that anyone who rises to the top of a totalitarian organization like the WT did not get there by rocking the boat in any way, ever.

New GB members are appointed to keep the status quo, never to add a new dimension.

"Scum rises to the top".

• Giordano
    Giordano

I served on a board (Foundation) for 6 years. It wasn't a membership organization. So the board picked it's replacements. We had a three person nominating committee. This committee vetted potential board members. We were looking for people who had special skills or knowledge that would be helpful, serious connections to our two universities, local government and media, investment experience and the right temperament. Names would be floated and some names rejected for various reasons others would emerge as a leading candidate. There were some private phone calls where a more frank discussion might take place. The final suggested list would be presented to the entire board for their thoughts. At this point this was a more open meeting so everyone was careful about what they said. Your listening carefully to what isn't being said......if you get my point. If we agreed on the top three persons we would arrange for those who knew them personally to begin the recruitment process. I imagine it's pretty much the same with the GB except throw in prayful consideration to at least make it seem god has a finger in the pie. Certainly they would have to be spiritually sound with no hint of scandal. More then likely some will have a personal relationship with a candidate and will promote that person. Based on who has been a GB member in the past there's no evidence that god gives a good crap.

• dgp
    dgp

Sorry I hadn't been here for a while. I would like to thank everyone for replying.

I honestly didn't have a clue how a member of the GB or the boards was elected. I suppose the procedure is not known because, if it were known, then it would be open for questioning.

Someone mentioned the College of Cardinals and how come the Holy Spirit (with capital letters) does not tell every cardinal the same thing. I agree. I would add some interesting things.

First, only cardinals under 80 years of age are eligible and allowed to vote. I suppose this is to prevent people from saying that Cardinal So and So was nuts or had Alzheimer by the time he voted.

Second, the number of voting cardinals is odd. The Holy Spirit could inspire them in any way, but humans have made sure it's just not possible to have a tie. There can be, however, and often there is, disagreement as to who should get the job.

Third, the cardinal who is made pope can't vote for himself.

Fourth, the Pope can resign.

Fifth, they are expected to visibly announce the fact that they are not in agreement. They can't go and lock themselves up for three days and then say "Hey, here's the guy".

And finally, Francis was elected after 77 cardinals agreed on him. I don't know if that's two thirds, but obviously that is the majority.

Being as critical of the Catholic Church as it is, I would expect the Watchtower to have a procedure in place that they could brag about, one that would seem to imply that it was actually Jehovah who made the appointment (let's play make believe). From what I know, they just come up and one day announce that So and So is the guy. Or the guys.

Another interesting point, in my opinion, is that all the members of the GB live and work in the same place, while cardinals don't. Many live in the Vatican, but not all.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The one that arranges the biggest paedophile tour gets the vote.

I am convinced that the GB ARE paedophiles.............otherwise they'd not protect such scum. They are protecting themselves.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

So much for transparency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit