What do you do to cope with loneliness?

by usualusername 31 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes. I feel loneliness even though I have many good friends.

I felt lonely when I left the WBT$ in my marriage. Then 3 years later my wife left me. I had done nothing to make this happen apart from disagree with some paedophile protecting men in Brooklyn!!

Yes. As the song goes 'Lonely won't leave me alone.'

I think it's a symptom of being raised in a disgusting child abusing cult.

Don't give up. The thaw is coming friend.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I've found that spending some time in some real volunteer work always makes me feel better. It's a great way to meet some new people too. I liked to volunteer on occasion with the forestry service, and food banks.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Have you looked at meetup.com? Depending on where you live, you might have a whole bunch of social groups you could join. I live in a fairly small city, but there is a meetup group for people with dogs, hikers, and a book club.

Sometimes I make myself meet new people at preschool drop off and arrange playdates for my kids and get to know the other moms.

Volunteering is a great suggestion!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Volunteer work is a great suggestion. Being out there doing something SOCIAL, in an area you ENJOY, It could be: a Photography Club, Sports, some MeetUP group that does a specific activity, a Travel group, Art Lessons, Yoga Classes, Arts and Crafts, Bird Watchers, .... the idea is to go and do something enjoyable with other people who like the same things be it bowling to the opera, or a book club, there are so many activities and so much good times ahead, don't look back at friends who abandoned you, as one person told me, those people are not safe. I was disfelloshipped while going through Cancer treatments and chemo, can you imagine ?? This is love ?? NO it isn't. You just have to re-learn how to be a HUMAN BEING in the REAL world full of regular people, most of whom are very nice.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I can identify with you too. As a child I went through some years of awful loneliness. I suppose it always haunts you once you've experienced it in a severe way. Following my disfellowshipping I found it very hard, after years of being surrounded by family and friends. And I too had to handle cancer alone, except for a couple of new acquaintances. I hung on to my spiritual relationship with my God, and that really helped me to cope.

Nowadays I'm in a loving family with good friends and am busy with my career, it rarely affects me currently, but occasionally, even in a crowd that feeling will strike. I found voluntary work helped me a lot, so I'd recommend that too. We're all human and inclined to be sociable and within families, so loneliness is nothing to be ashamed of. It can be one of the hardest things in life I think. In the UK there's a new helpline for the elderly struggling with isolation called SilverLine, I think it's greatly needed, and will help many.

Good thread.

Loz x

• usualusername
    usualusername

Thanks everyone. I am still lonely.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Well if your in Vancouver BC, I will meet you for Coffee

at Urban Fare, in Olympic Village.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Go play cards with some old folks at a nursing home for a while...

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Dealing with loneliness is a journey. It won't go away with a single conversation or single change in life. I don't think it can be cured for you by another person. Once you start to make changes, which might include some of the good suggestions above, you will learn to cope with it when it occurs. In time it may even disappear.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I met some nice people on meetup. Google and look for groups in your area that interest you. I am in the skeptics and singles meetups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit