What do you do to cope with loneliness?

by usualusername 31 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Hi JW Netters

In the last few months I have felt extremely lonely.

Was a witness. Faded. Was disowned by witnesses. Family life is even worse (don't wanna repeat past threads).

Whether you are married, living together or on your own what do you do when lonely?

Cheers

UUN

• irondork
    irondork

UUN, I'm right there with you. I was having a bad day with this today also. Fortunately for me, I will have a bad day or two and then snap out of it. I would like to think I'm mostly a strong enough person, up to the task of whatever comes my way. But once in awhile the enormity of this whole JW/loss of family thing really punches me in the stomach.

It gets easier with time. That sounds like a hollow answer but it really is true.

Stick close. Draw strength from everyone here. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Don't give up.

We all care!

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Ah yes, the loneliness. I have it too. I certainly don't want to go to church just to have friends. Work fills up a lot of time. May I suggest some activities like going to movies, starting a small garden in your yard, or even some bird feeders and bird houses. That seems to help for me.

• usualusername
    usualusername

Whats really weird is I work from home a lot. I only get out of the house for work 6-10 days a month.

I think I will spend a day moaning online!

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

This is the hard thing leaving the organisation..I don't have a good answer. I bought two cats, and they are nice, but....we all have to fight the lonlieness.

• tiki
    tiki

as the only jw kid around growing up, plus an only child...i lived with loneliness, and it stalks me still. people think of me as a loner, but that is not what i want to be - yet it is what i am because of always being odd man out, not accepted, etc. even in the cong, with the burst of growth pre-75, i was the outcast, because all those people in my age group came from drug cultures, loose living, etc....and i was the weirdo.....so.....it still haunts me, and i have a real problem getting close to people, making friends.....etc.................one reason why i love this outlet so much.....i can just say my piece and move on. if someone likes it fine, if they dont, tough sh!t. but i know there are people here who have damages to overcome as well, and it takes time.............

what i do for loneliness is log on here................................:)

• usualusername
    usualusername

I hate to say it but the lonier I am the more I log in. Is it just me?

• tiki
    tiki

nope - not you at all..............we all have a thread in common................

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I'm not sure it is possible to eliminate loneliness, even in crowded places or a relationship it is possible to feel it. I guess my suggestion would be to have a few strategies available for when the feeling strikes.

As a suggestion:

1) if it strikes in the night there may be forums you can chat on as suggested above. If not do something nice, have a brew, watch a TV programme, read.

2) develop a circle of friends through some social activity, a that way there is some routine that means there will be some social interaction with others during the week and also if you need to talk to people, it isn't always the same one you call and then feel guilty about pestering :)

3) The Samaritans (in the UK anyway) are a service provided for just the purpose you mention.

In short, don't be afraid to ask for help and try to develop a few approaches when you don't feel lonely that can be adopted when you do.

Loneliness is a very common problem for humans. There are many self-help guides - why not try a couple and see if there is anything in them that you feel you can apply yourself.

When I feel lonely, the thing that helps me the most if contact with friends, or helping others.

Hope you are ok.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

No.it's not just you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit