Sign Languae is a True Language,Urgues Prof. Harlan Lane

by Scott77 32 Replies latest social current

• xchange
    xchange

However , more than anything else, it offended them.

While I'm sure there might have been a few people offended, by and large, the community I'm in and others I am in touch with simply laughed at it and mocked it. It's kind of turned into a trademark of the organization now. One joke is how that video clip is useful in teaching proper techniques for pleasuring yourself.

As to the OP, I agree with what others have said and that this story is old news. In fact, William Stokoe in the 60's investigated sign language and determined it to be a bona fide language on par with spoken languages, albeit in a different medium.

There are basically two approaches in Deaf education. The aural-oral approach and the visual language approach. Both have merits and drawbacks. But the biggest advantage in exposing deaf babies to a visual language is that they 'get' a language right away. There are many D/deaf people out there that are/were languageless for many years because of the aural-oral approach. That is because so much time is spent on developing skills for vocalization, optimizing hearing, lip-reading etc - ie. the mechanics of spoken language. Mind you, this was more of a problem in the early 70's - 90's. Now days, things are better for deaf education with a lot more options. But the two opposing camps remain.

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Good morning everyone.

I would have commented yesterday but I was out of posts.

I'm actually an certified ASL interpreter and yes it is a real language and deaf people do have their own culture....Everyday I have to facilitate between hearing and deaf culture....sometimes I can do this easily and some days not so much, and in my experience the cultural misunderstandings do not happen on the deaf side....99.9% of the time, the cultural conflicts/misunderstandings happen on the hearing side. The deaf in my area, are great to work with and understand hearing culture and try to walk the line so there is no communication break down. The hearing people on the other hand....There are times where the ethnocentric attitude comes in and there is a break down of communication. It's sad because most hearing people I have to work with just don't get it.

Some of the questions I get asked all the time.

1) Oh, where did you learn Braille? "Um what I do is actually American Sign Language, Braille is for blind people"

2) Oh do you have a family member who is deaf? "Um no, I have no deaf family..I went to school to learn how to do this and worked very hard to become nationally certified"

3) Oh is signing easy? "Well signing is easier than interpreting, they are two different things"

4) Are you a student here also (I do a lot of work for the community college in my town)? "No I'm done with school and doing this professionally"

5) Oh, do you get paid to do this? "Yes I am paid to be here" In my head I'm thinking "You idiot! would you work for free? I don't think so!"

This comment always gets me. After doing a stage job or a big class, I always get at least one person come up to me and say "Oh you looked just beautiful up there, and you did such a good job." I've become more sarcastic in my my response. "You know sign language?" "Um no." Then I get a confused look on my face and ask "Then how did you know if I did a good job or not?" Then the person walks away with their tail between their legs.

This is a clip us interpreters think is just funny, because it shows what we have to deal with sometimes with hearing people... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqv84ywBSE

I know the deaf in my area are trying to get the general public educated, but it's an uphill battle with trying to educate hearing people.

I'm not sure who made the comment about American deaf being able to talk to French deaf...the reason ASL and FSL deaf can communicate is because ASL actually developed from FSL. Way back when, a French man Laurent Clerc, came over here to the USA in the 1800's and taught FSL to deaf educators and that is where ASL was developed....so down in our day, ASL has many of the same signs and grammar structure of FSL. I can watch FSL on youtube and understand about 80% of the message. British sign language (BSL) I cannot understand any of it. I just wanted to share that little bit of history.

Now about the deaf masturbation video. OMG the deaf in my area love it! They think it's the funniest thing out there. I was horrified the first time I saw it, but now it's famous here in my town. They all (deaf and interpreters) make fun of it and make fun of the JW's. All I have to say is that guy was enjoying himself way too much or he has a lot of "practice" time. hehehehe

• xchange
    xchange

I'm actually an certified ASL interpreter

Hey. Same here. The world just got significantly smaller. Canada or States?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thank you for your contribution, Gojira. I have a little conversational ASL, that is all. I can sign better than I can "read" it. Native signers are so fast! xchange, when you shared the deaf community's response to the WTS video, I was imagining a room full of the deaf making fun of that video. LOL!

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

@ xchange: States! You Canada or States?.....you have a PM :)

@ Jgnat: Signing it is easier, its the reading it that's hard. Just like how speakers have have accents, deaf people have accents also...it's those accents that are hard to "read" sometimes.

• xchange
    xchange

@jgnat

That's exactly how it transpired. Everyone was laughing so hard. I lost count of how many times it was replayed, freeze framed and frame-by-frame dissection.

@ Gojira_101 PM response

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I am glad to here that the deaf community just laughed at it and mockedet it.

• xchange
    xchange

Ahh ...it never gets old. Nice FX!

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Dismissing servant:....Oh My God!!!!! I almost spit out my lunch when I saw how you changed that clip!!!!

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

No, I found it in another thread. I am no good at all in editing videos! But I think it's another poster at this forum who made this "special edition"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit