Sign Languae is a True Language,Urgues Prof. Harlan Lane

by Scott77 32 Replies latest social current

• sir82
    sir82

whoever said it wasn't a language?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I thought this was old news. It has all the markers of a full language, and it is not an artificial construct. SEE is a "constructed" language and it is not used by the community.

Joke for you, Lady Lee. A child taught using SEE handed in an English report where all the "ing" words ended in an apostrophe ('), as in shopp'!

As I understand it, the SEE equivalent to "ing" in English, is an upswept curled pinky. Looks just like the apostrophe (').

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Isn't every language constructed. They are constantly evolving, taking on new words, changing the meaning of others. ASL evolves the same way as any spoken language.

true JG

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lady Lee, I think I picked this up in Pinker's book, "The Language Instinct". A living language has markers that distinguish it from other constructs. It is children who pick up a new language and become native speakers, who are the true architects of a language. They grab it, adapt it, add words, and build a native grammar. When lip-reading was all the rage (Thanks, Bell), ASL went underground and even if forbidden in the deaf schools, the children would teach each other after hours. All the marks of a living language.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

So you have read Steven Pinker! Nice! Have you also read " The Blank slate"? (I think it is the english title)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Haven't read "The Blank Slate". Thanks for the tip. Let me guess. We aren't born blank!

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

No, we aren't! You are a clever woman! :-P

Genes does matter

• Scott77
    Scott77

Wow, very hot discussion. Here is a link to the recommended reading from the same author, Prof. Harlan Lane,

http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/159915.Harlan_Lane

Once again LOL at Dismissing servant. That JW guy is certainly enjoying it. He cannot pretend not to. Please, can someone tell us if he is hearing, HH or Deaf? That masturbation video from the Watchtower purportely was targeted at the Deaf Community. However,more than anything else, it offended them. I think, it created a wrong impression that the Deaf Community are more masturbation-prone than the Hearing Community. In a way unimaginable, it had unintended effect.

Scott77

• Scott77
    Scott77

Isn't every language constructed. They are constantly evolving, taking on new words, changing the meaning of others. ASL evolves the same way as any spoken language. true JG

Lady Lee

Hi Lady Lee,

I could not agree more.Your knowledge of ASL is impressive and admirable. I suspect, the Watchtower is feeling jealous for having lost you. Here is a link to a signer from Beligium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XrFK55PBM&feature=youtu.be

Scott77

• Elizabeth123
    Elizabeth123

i, too, am impressed with my Deaf friendly hearies on this site:) yes, that stuff is kind of old news, as i studied that same topic in 2000 in college. it is good information for newbies to the Deaf World:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit