Sign Languae is a True Language,Urgues Prof. Harlan Lane

by Scott77 32 Replies latest social current

• Scott77
    Scott77
    Professor Harlan Lane recently published a book that looked at whether deaf people have their own culture. Lane, a psychology professor at Northeastern University, has been studying deaf culture and linguistics since the 1970s, ever since he witnessed a deaf duo conversing and was stunned to learn of the depth and complexity of ASL. Here is his interview wth the Boston Globe...

http://www.boston.com/ bostonglobe/ideas/articles/ 2011/04/10/deaf_world/?page=1

Scott77

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I agree! Interesting article.

• Dismissing servant
  • Scott77
    Scott77

LOL at Dismissing servant, for posting that masturbation video. It has since gone viral.

Scott77

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sign Language is a vibrant, rich and ever evolving language in its own right with a syntax all its own. Sign Language is not a word for word translation of some other language. It is beautiful to watch because 1 sign can convey so much - far more than English. It incorporates more than hand gestures and facial expression but includes the whole body so that put together one simple sigh can convey a multitude of levels emotional expression.

Take the example of the word stop (similar to a "time out" gesture) Made gently the sign can mean "Please stop". Signed with a firmly expressed sign it can mean "Stop NOW". Signed in a forceful way with an appropriate facial expression and body language it can mean "Stop now or else..." A whole gamut of levels of facial expression and body language can add to a wide range of emotional states in just one movement. This is what makes it so rich and beautiful. It is economical in its usage like the example of the sign for Stop.

English has its own word order (its syntax). French, Spanish and Italian have a very different word order (which is why I can't learn it lol) If you did a word for word translation from English to French it would sound very peculiar as some of you who speak both know. You have to change the order of the words to make sense.

Sign languages, every language has its own counterpart. French Sign, English, German, Spanish. They are all different but they are more closely aligned that their spoken counterparts. I have seen English ASL users communicate with French QSL (Quebec) with little difficulty.

I love to watch it even though I can rarely keep up with what they are saying because they go so fast. I once had a contest with a friend who signed the alphabet while I tried to say it as fast as I could. No contest. He won every time. And there is no way I could keep up with him as a signer.

I now have arthritis in all my finger joints. Every morning I do a simple run through a couple of times of the alphabet in sign to loosen up all the joints.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I agree it is a fantastic language. Lady Lee clearly understands some of its strong points. It does however have limitations as well. I think there is little substitute for verbal communication. ASL and other forms of sign however are more complex than people realize.

Many times the recognition of ASL as a language on par with all others, is also an attempt to disuade younger deaf from leaning written english or getting coclear implants. This is a subject of much debate in the deaf community and no small amount of pride is involved.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I think sign language is really good...it has made life much richer and better for deaf people. But..the really sad ting is that they can't hear music.

Yes, Scott, nice to see that weren't offended by the wank-video debate!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think there is little substitute for verbal communication. ASL and other forms of sign

We live in a world based on verbal communication. In that sense people who use any of the signed languages will be a t a deficit just as much as if an english speaking person moved to Japan and had to try to communite with the people there. BUT the deaf I think do have an advantage there because many "signs" are very similar to gestures that hearing people use. Eat, drink, sleep. The deaf are very adaptable in this regard.

however are more complex than people realize.

Very true. Most people think ASL or QSL (Quebec Canada) or FSL (French France) or BSL (British) are all word for word trandslations. They aren't SEE (Signed Exact English) is a word for word transslation but the deaf don't use it. People like me use it - caught between 2 worlds. lol

A couple of years ago when I started losing my hearing I went to meet a deaf group that meets close to where I live. If I had to I think I could more easily make the adjustment to the deaf world because of my ability to sign. I was very pleased that the deaf community is as large as it is here. I expected 5-10 people. Instead there were almost 50 and that includes just the ones who could attend.

Many times the recognition of ASL as a language on par with all others, is also an attempt to disuade younger deaf from leaning written english or getting coclear implants. This is a subject of much debate in the deaf community and no small amount of pride is involved.

I think something got confused in there. I think you meant that the failure to recognize ASL as a true language is based on the attempt to dissuage children with hearing problems from learning sign language. There has always been the debate to educate the deaf iusing the oral method, where the child learns to lip read and speak through intensive sessions of learning sounds when they can't hear them. I think it is cruel to subject a child to that when all the parent needs to do is learn to adapt to the child's needs instead of the child adapting to the hearing world. It doesn't work and most children who were taught this eventually learn to sign.

It is false that all people who use sign language are totally deaf and hear nothing. Many can hear a bit and yes they can hear music or at least feel it and they can dance.

MY opinion is that if the implants or hearing aids help, then use it. it doesn't have to chage the cultural group you belong to. I wear glasses and now I have an artificial lens that replaced my cataracts. I have hearing aids. I use a wheelchair to go out. Those thing make my life easier and help me be more independant. I will use anything that helps me maintain my independance wether that is visual, auditory or mobility.

Schools for children who are deaf are not against hearing aids or teaching children to talk. If they have any level of sound it is encouraged and the child gets a richer and more independant experience. But they shouldn't be deprived these things if they need them or would benefit from them.

Off my soap box before people start thowing eggs at their monitors

• AnneB
    AnneB

The question shouldn't be "is it a true language?" but "is it a natural, or artificially constructed, language?". Both exist and are valid, so what's the fuss?

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

It is very natural and true!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit