When Will District Conventions Be Abolished?

by AvailableLight 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LOL@Mum

It could lead to thought.
    ((((())))) Awesome!

Andi

• Satanus
    Satanus

AS long as they have enough people, they will probably never be abolished. They are needed to hype the troops, and to bring about a stronger herd effect. Unity, and all that crap.

SS

• Moxy
    Moxy

those of you who havent been around the meetings much (or pay little attention when you are) may not know about the maxim that is often repeated in answer to this question (always mentioned in conjunction with the poor friday attendances) :

"The faithful and discreet slave has determined that in order to dispense all the spiritual food that we need to stay spiritually healthy, we need THREE days. You can be sure that if it was possible to fit everything we need into two days, they would make the convention two days long."

substitute the words "3 days" and "convention" for "5 days" and "meetings per week" and you have another common variant, often accompanied with the illustration of holding onto something with all five fingers.

pretty funny huh? they should consult me i guess, cuz im pretty sure i could condense the three days down to about 30 minutes without losing any spiritual food.

mox

$2.50 for a highball and a buck-and-a-half for a beer

• Amazing
    Amazing

Back in J F Rutherford's day, they held 7 and 8 day Conventions. By the time I was a JW this was reduced to 5 days (4.5) ... and it started at 8:30 and went until about 9:00 PM ... I recall sitting at Oakland, CA Coliseum with blankets, and dozing off ... then they reduced the DC to 4 days, then 3.5 and then 3 days ... while Circuit Assemblies went from 3.5 days to 3 days to 2.5 days ... and now intermittantly 1 and 2 days.

Money and particiaption will dictate the future of these events as it has already dictated their reduction in time in days, length of each day, eliminating food concessions from 3 full meals down to nothing ... follow this money as this is the most likely culprit.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I bet the conventions are still money-makers for them. There were always the sad stories told Sunday monrings about how 'behind' they were in contributions (open those wallets and purses Brothers and Sisters!!!). Even while in reality each one ended in 'surplus'.

This doesn't even take into account all the back-room deals going on with various cites to rent places for cheap or even free, the hotel/motel scam (remember how 'unspiritual' you were for staying at an 'un-approved' hotel!! ), and parking fees (are these still done after Tacoma Dome?). Oh and don't forget the marvolous 'new releases' which get cheaper and cheeser every year. Got to remember to dontate for each 'book' - are they even doing books anymore? I can remember getting 2 or 3 books each convention, now they often get a cheap ass brochure and maybe a tract or 2.

• Imbue
    Imbue

When will they do away with the conventions?

It would be nice if it they did it be before June since I have to go with my husband. But, I won't hold my breath.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Well, I guess that answers my question on field service!!! I don't see how they can feel safe this going door to door this day and time. I'd be scared I'd call upon a crazy person or something, ya know. Anyway, I always thought it was rude to call on somebody at their home without an invitation. Tink =;o)

• Balsam
    Balsam

When I was an active witness just 9 months ago, I got where I hated the DC because they always held up these women who had a zillion kids who pioneered, and were single parents. Or the 18 month old baby whose parents had taught him to read. Unreal people with unreal lives. I was a witness for 29 years and that is the kind of stuff I listened too and it sickened me. I am sure they used to get huge amounts of money from conventions and assemblies.

AMAZING: I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your story about what all you and your family endured coming out. I made it simple on the Elders. I left my 30 year marriage to an egg headed man who loved to make me miserable, and went back to my Lost Love from high school, and not a witness. It was a simple cutting off, and it felt so good. You and your family had a terrible struggle, being viewed as an anointed one, an elder, and respected member of the cong. and society. You were up to your eyeballs in pressure. Glad I wasn't in your shoes. Nice to met you, will be reading here from time to time.

Balsam

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There was a comment in a WT article or the KM not too long ago that said that the primary purpose of the DC's is to give a witness to the community. That was an embarrasing statement, if you ask me. If anything, I think they showed the community how bizarre the whole thing is. I was such a horny perv when I was a dub, I spent the whole day staring at boobs and trying to get a glimpse down the sisters dresses. MUM, loved your post - hilarious!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Unless I missed a relevant comment on this thread, you are ALL missing the point about District Conventions. Let me explain.

I've been to a bunch of them, and what was THE big thing about them? Excluding whether Nate Knorr or Freddie Franz would speak or not?

It was the new books, dammit! It was all about the new books. We ALL went there for the new books! Dubs got in line and became downright nasty if someone else got in line in front of them because there was a feeding-frenzy over the NEW BOOKS!

Many of you have missed the REAL point about District Assemblies. Besides the food profits, and the name-badge profits and the parking (Tacoma, e.g.) profits, the society has a built-in audience to buy their latest books! Those poor dubbies (including myself) would wait in line to buy the newest books with the hope that the new lies would be better than the old lies. We were always disappointed, but that doesn't matter. The society sold a shit-load of their books.

District Assemblies are nothing more than an excuse for a world-wide book promotion tour. With an avid built-in market who sacrificed to get there to buy those books.

Case closed. I know.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit