Traits of Abusive Churches and Toxic Faith Systems

by Richie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Richie
    Richie

An exhaustive study has been done on the behavior of cult groups - In several books about "cults", they enumerated 21 major points where you can identify the traits of a cult-like organization. Bear in mind that the authors did not target Jehovah's Witnesses as a specific group at all, which made it all the more frightening! But this dissertation generalized all cult-groups existing in the world...

1. Control-oriented, arrogantly assertive, power-posturing leadership.
    2. Authoritarian and legalistic with dictatorial, dogmatic doctrines that are proclaimed to be "the Truth".
    3. Claims of being the channel of communication between God and humankind; having unique knowledge that makes them special. If members do not submit to its dictatorial rule, the leaders emphasize that any waver of support to the organization or church is evidence of waver of faith in God.
    4. Manipulation of members by guilt, shame, blame, and fear.
    5. An "Us-versus-Them" view, a perception of being under persecution.
    6. Demanding, rigid lifestyles and overwhelming service requirements.
    Members' lives are controlled by both spoken and unspoken rules.
    7. Loss of focus on God, replaced by a complicated process of furthering the church or organization and its rules.
    8. Followers "in pain", hiding real feelings that oppose or disagree with the religious system.
    9. Intolerance of individual thinking, and of criticism of the religious system by its members. Fosters an unhealthy dependency by focusing on themes of submission, loyalty, and obedience to those in authority.
    10. Severe discipline of members.
    11. The religious system puts down other religions.
    12. Closed communication: Information is only valid if it comes from the top of the religious system down, and from inside the system to the outside of it.
    13. Leaving the religious system is painful and difficult.
    14. Labeling: a technique used to discount a person who opposes the beliefs of the religious system, i.e., "apostates".
    15. What you do is more important that who you are.
    16. Love and acceptance are earned by doing certain things.
    17. Scripture-twisting.
    18. Scare tactics; focus on demons.
    19. Threats to remove members from the group.
    20. Members are misled into thinking the only safety is in the religious system.
    21. A view that education is bad or unnecessary.

Richie :*)

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Richie,

Excellent list. Could you mention the author. I may want to add this book to my summer reading list.

Jst2laws

• Richie
    Richie

Jst2laws...
    You can find these points in "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" by David Johnson and Jeff VanVonderen.
    There are other books which deal with cults also: "Toxic Faith" by Stephen Arterburn and Jack Felton - and "Churches That Abuse" by Ronald M. Enroth.
    Hope I have been of help to you...

Richie :*)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Could the borg more closely resemble these characteristics? Methinks not!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Thanks Richie,

Will check it out.

Jst2laws

• Scully
    Scully

Richie:

Thanks for posting that list. I thought of Jeff VanVonderen's & David Johnson's book "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" the minute I read the title of the thread. It's an excellent resource.

Jeff VanVonderen also has another book called "Tired of Trying to Measure Up" which was the first of his books that I read, and one of the first books I read as I was making up my mind on whether to stay a JW or leave.

Another excellent book is "When God Becomes a Drug" by Fr. Leo Booth, which describes how people actually can become addicted to abusive religious groups. It's quite a fascinating read, and details many, if not all, of the characteristics that you list above in abusive religious groups.

Love, Scully

• Francois
    Francois

jst2laws

If you're making up a list for summer reading, suggest you add Eric Hoffer's "The True Believer." I'm a big fan of that little book; which is in my top three most important books I ever read.

Francois

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Fancois,

suggest you add Eric Hoffer's "The True Believer."
    I have read it and agree, it is very enlightening.

Thanks Fancois

Jst2laws

• Dino
    Dino

Thank you Richie.

Very helpful.

Dino

• misty
    misty

Thank you everyone on this thread and thank you Ritchie for the support you brought to us in time of dire stress and need. I decided to join you on this site. It does help.
    I also found a lot of comfort reading Ray Franz's books "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom" - yes i finally got them. Got your phone message last nite but were away for some Easter association.Glad you had the guts to keep up and go regardless. And you saw your youngest daughter. Great but it does not sound as if she sat with you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit