Telling a JW that you are anti-watchtower.

by jerome 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• jerome
    jerome

The time has finally come. I am getting dangerously close to a situation where I will have to reveal to my gf's mother and siblings that Not only do I not share their beliefs but the probility of them converting me to their religion is next to none. Relaying this information could cause one hell of alot of problems with the situation as it satnds.

In my country which is mainly christian the the jws eventhough not accepted are permitted to continue with their faith. Most people just find them as an annoying distraction on saturdays and sundays who continuosly are trying to get you to buy their magazines. Even though the country is mainly Christian the JWs continue to grow because the Churches in my opionion are not doing enough to inform the people of the dangers of associating with them. The only reason that i have been able to turn full swing in my opionion of th WTBS is because of the information I recieved on the internet.

I have spent some time trying to figure out exactly just how I am going to tell her family that I think their religion is dangerous and I want nothing to do with it. In fact I am currently ingaged in warning people about it.

I think that many of the posters of the board have faced a similar situation and I would like any suggestions that you have to make as to how exactly should I go about this.

I intend to be honest and relay my views very soon but I would like to know what would be the best way to go about it and the consequences.

jerome

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and it you may get hurt.

• larc
    larc

jerome,

Why do you have to tell them? What will you gain? As we have been telling you all along, give them small seeds of doubt. There is no need and no value in confronting them.

Have you ever read the advise on how to talk to JWs at Freeminds? Have you read Amazing's series on how he dealt with his family?

• Will Power
    Will Power

Well, I wouldn't advise doing what I did. Everything backfired.

If I had to do over again, I'd say that because, & since, I have read countless tracts & watchtower magazines I know the truth about the truth, that I am in no way shape or form interested nor would I ever be, or would I recommend it to anyone, again, because I have read what they print and I know the truth about the truth, then leave it at that. I wouldn't offer reasons unless they begged, and identified themselves as humble, then I'd only ask questions in bits and pieces.

If they are still curious, I'd mention how surprised I was that they hadn't found out on their own already.

Most people that think they know everything can't stand it when they meet someone that might know something they don't. But you can't tell them that they don't know it. They have to figure it out themselves.

Hope this helps.

• jerome
    jerome

Ok here is the deal.

I think I get the idea about giving them small doses of truth over an extended period of time but in my experience if you make one mistake while doining it you would have lost your chance.

My gf's sister invited me to the memorial and I dident go.
    I think sooner or later they will want to know why I dident.

I am pondering telling them that I donot want to get involved with a religion or any other organisitation for that matter which does not permit you to leave freely if you choose to do so. I know that if I tried to do this that it would lead them into some discussion about whow anyone who wants to leave is free to do so ant any given time.

I want to play dumb but I want to be honest. There are four witnesses that if they see me associating with the family will probally want to warn tham that I am anti-witness. That is why I have to come clean. It is better that I tell them than sombody else does it.

Today they invited me for EASTER lunch. I dont think that i'll be going. I really have ro think this thing through before i go any further.

The easter thing in my opionion was an attempt to sound normal. I dont think that they know that I have good knowledge of most of their teachings. So her mother wouldent have known that I know that I know that they dont celebrate easter. My gf dosent want to tell them about me because of the trouble that it might cause.

I cant pull out my old watchtowers. So how exactly would I show them where to look reguarding any bits of truth. If I did that they would ask me how I knew where to look and more importantly WHO TOLD ME WHERE TO LOOK.

In the mean time my gf still thinks that I am wrong about it not being the truth. So I still have alot of work to do where she is concerned.

I'm walking a tight rope here.

Somehow I have to let them know that I know alot about the Watchtower without letting them know how.

Thanks larc. As well as will.

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and it you may get hurt.

• Disposable Hero
    Disposable Hero

I am not in your shoes, so I do not know your whole situation. But I have been in similiar situations as have others here. I would tell the witness what I felt. I felt the witness as a individual was a good person, but that was not my problem. My problem was with the society. I would show the witness some things that contradict what the society has done such as the UN issue and so I could not trust the society. If they are really persistent in questioning why you do not convert, then do some research. http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com is a great place to get watchtower quotes without commentary. Get some quotes from there and show this family this stuff. But ask them questions about this stuff so it gets them to think instead of trying to prove them wrong. Good luck.

You lie so much you believe yourself
    Judge not lest ye be judged yourself

• LB
    LB

I can't imagine things going well should you tell them your honest feelings. You'll find yourself shut out of their lives I would say. But maybe that is "things going well"?

They will tolerate someone "coming into the truth" slowly. Some will dance around the issue for years. But as soon as someone makes a stand, well, it's door slamming time.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

I just wanted to bump this back to the top, and say that I will be back to post about this tomarow. I think I have a vary good way to deal with this...

thanks
    skiingcowboy...

• COMF
    COMF

the Churches in my opionion are not doing enough to inform the people of the dangers of associating with them

Honor among thieves, jerome. They would be dangerously close to exposing their own scams.

COMF

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Once you tell them you are anti-WT you will be kicked outa their click. There is not simple way to do it. I am/was a JW who is emerging out of this cave and contemplating if i should tell my wife's family that I no longer want to associcate with them. I don't care if they shun me or not, I just don't know how my wife(also a JW) will take it. If I can offer any advice is to get away from them asap before you are in too deep, too emotionally attached. If you end up like me, you will be wasting 10hrs a week going to meetings and listing to the same boring drabble day in and day out, by mostly uneducated bafoons. Sorry if I sound bitter.

• Xander
    Xander

If I did that they would ask me how I knew where to look and more importantly WHO TOLD ME WHERE TO LOOK.

You've nailed it on the head here. They don't care WHAT the information is - just WHERE it came from. As soon as they here 'internet' or 'apostate literature', they immediately turn their ears off (can't help it - they have been brainwashed to do it their entire witness lives).

It's sick, sad, and infuriating, but once that 'off' switch is flipped you could warn them, standing on the road, about a truck about to hit them from behind, and they won't hear a word you say.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit