3rd Annual Memorial of Freedom--Will You Attend? Also, 'When Prophecy Fails' by Leon Festinger

by sd-7 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

sd-7's 3rd Memorial of Freedom falls on Sunday, March 10th, 2013, at sundown. Check your local news for when sundown happens in your area, so that you may pass the emblems--chocolate milk and Pop Tarts--in observance of liberation from the Watchtower. For review, the Pop Tarts represent one's body, which will no longer sit in a Kingdom Hall. The milk represents...hmm. Blood you can now donate to the Red Cross if you want? I forget. Guess I better research it. Don't feel like it right now. Been under the weather lately. Picked up a cold from the pediatrician's office, I think. Or maybe my stepdaughter, I can't be sure which.

Anyway, that said, I wanted to recommend, as Steve Hassan recommended not too long ago during his video with our dear Dogpatch, Randy Watters, the book 'When Prophecy Fails' by Leon Festinger. I've been reading it and I'm about a third of the way through and it's really fascinating. Very technical as far as details, but still an interesting study.

I'm reading now about Stacy Keech, I believe the name is, and the UFO cult she led. What was interesting was her prediction, based on being told by 'Guardians' or 'Sananda' or whoever, that flying saucers would appear on a specific date in specific locations visible to everyone. However, when it didn't happen, rather than seeming to realize her prediction had failed and perhaps calling into question the legitimacy of her beliefs, she latched onto a totally different set of events that seemed to strengthen her belief that the alien communications were real--that of encountering a man she believed to be a sort of Jesus/Messiah/alien person?

The other thing was the mention in the book of another book written in 1949 that directly mentions JWs and (apparently unrelated, uh, ha ha) UFO cults, called 'These Also Believe' by Charles Braden. Anyone ever seen or read that one? I'm going to see if I can find it. Very interesting that a book about JWs, which Festinger described as being 'objective', was written that far back. Not surprising given the 1914 and 1925 and all the other dates put out around that era.

Rather than seeing the failure of the proclamations, the early Bible Students just turned their attention to a new message or a new preaching campaign or both. Looking forward to the next date, and the next, and the next, until...what, exactly? They recognize that they were wrong, though generally the literature can't seem to be clear about who exactly was wrong, just naming the entire entity as having wrong expectations, not so much the people who printed the expectations. But the point is that the lack of fulfillment of all these clearly-foretold-in-scripture dates doesn't make them question it all, they as a whole just turn their attention to either making more recruits or looking forward to the next date (or next generation or next iteration of the next generation, in this case).

Well, I just thought it was a good read, especially relaxing because it's not about JWs so I get to be a bit more objective about the issues.

So...winter storm passed over my area with nothing but a cold rain. Guess I shouldn't have stayed up so late tonight. Going to have to go to work...

Well, take care.

--sd-7

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Drought here ...

... and New Zealand doesn't have Pop Tarts.

Going fishing. Enjoy your spring

Chris

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yup, great book. It certainly has stood the test of time.

S

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What's the connection in that book between JW's and UFO's?

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

I will celebrate your Memorial of Freedom with ex-JW friends. We are going to see the play "Book Of Mormon."

zed

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will celebrate your Memorial of Freedom with ex-JW friends. We are going to see the play "Book Of Mormon."

zed

Yes, Sunday March 10th was chosen by our group with sd-7's 3rd Memorial of Freedom in mind. Especially applicable will be the following song (WARNING: PROFANITY AND BLASPHEMY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-IjBi1eEaAA#t=18s

• sd-7
    sd-7

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/207102/1/sd-7s-Evening-Meal-The-1st-Memorial-of-Freedom-from-the-WT

Ah, of course. The chocolate milk is the 'milk of freedom', representing freedom from the Watchtower. Keep drinking this, whenever you feel like it, in remembrance of me...

--sd-7

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    sd-7's 3rd Memorial of Freedom falls on Sunday, March 10th, 2013, at sundown.

Will definately do something in your honor that evening. Question though, does it have to be pop-tarts and chocolate milk bruh? I was leaning more towards buffalo wings and Guiness, but if it has to be pop-tarts and chocolate milk I'll do it.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I was leaning more towards buffalo wings and Guiness, but if it has to be pop-tarts and chocolate milk I'll do it.

It's cool--whatever you choose to do is fine by me. Wouldn't be a Memorial of Freedom otherwise, now, would it? Actually, I don't think I ever combine chocolate milk and Pop Tarts anyway, probably too much sugar at one time. It's kind of a gimmick; I'd say don't tell anyone, but this is the Internet, so I just told everyone.

Guess I ought to do some kind of meaningful post about what the last 3 years have meant to me. Hmm. Good idea.

--sd-7

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Guess I ought to do some kind of meaningful post about what the last 3 years have meant to me. Hmm. Good idea.

Looking forward to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit