3rd Annual Memorial of Freedom--Will You Attend? Also, 'When Prophecy Fails' by Leon Festinger

by sd-7 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Guess I ought to do some kind of meaningful post about what the last 3 years have meant to me. Hmm. Good idea.

Good idea, SD!

Good idea, SD!

It's "sd" now, sd-7. "SD"? What do you think I am, a tiny chip in which you may store your digital photos? Nah, I called myself that in the past, until I realized that my username isn't actually in capital letters and adjusted to "sd". But thank you.

Anyway, 3 years, huh? I'd say I can't believe it, but...when I look at how my kids have grown, I realize that I have no choice but to believe it. The time has passed. Three years since I was liberated from the Watchtower.

To tell you the truth, I've spent too much of it in grief and too little of it truly enjoying what I earned--the right to think for myself and be myself. There's some part of my true self that I have found myself unable to be open to, unable to consider. I know I'm making a mistake, a compromise, and shutting my eyes to it. I've made the most important decisions based on wrong premises, instead of holding those decisions to the same level of conscience and reason as my choice to leave the cult.

It seems that even my wife feels that I have no purpose now, beyond just working for the family, being a husband and father. As if that's armor I strap on to hide even from myself the fact that I don't have a big 'purpose in life' right now beyond the immediate needs or wants of the moment. I've studied the Bible on my own, ventured into thoughts of an agnostic and even atheistic nature, learned a little about objectivism just from reading 'Atlas Shrugged', but mostly I've just done a lot of what I've always done--watch movies, play video games, read novels and comic books, write in my journal, write short stories and occasional songs, and...not really much else apart from the duties of work and maintaining a household.

I think part of me feels that many of the greater things we could do are merely exercises in futility. You need more than one person to make a difference. Alone, he or she will simply be trampled. But me? I don't know. I just want it to be finished, whatever this is supposed to be about. Is there a point to all this, or were we all just a series of variables that showed up somehow and will disappear and be replaced by other variables?

Maybe it doesn't matter. At least I can live the rest of my days knowing I opened the door and found the answers I needed for myself. It made this existence a little more bearable, a little more real. Considering how much worse it is for so many on this planet, I'm actually pretty fortunate. That'll have to do.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

The 3rd Annual Memorial of Freedom was enjoyed by all in attendance. After an opening song, I think it was in Elvish, 'cause the Fellowship had reached Lothlorien by then, a rousing talk was given by sd-7. The theme? "Working Our Way Towards Freedom"! He relates:

"Outside Jehovah's organization, it's really no darker than it was on the inside. Fluorescent lighting really just ensured that after the opening song, no doubt timed with the human heartbeat, lulled us all into a hypnotic, highly suggestive state. Oh, right, and there is no such thing as Jehovah's organization. He's not like a divine CEO or something.

"Anyway, it's been three years since the white-haired-donor-of-green-reclining-chair-he-doesn't-want-me-to-sit-in may or may not have read my name off at the Service Meeting. So far, I've read a lot of books, watched a lot of movies, and played not nearly enough video games. I consider it a privilege to have left 'the lie' since my conscience told me it was the right thing to do.

"Freedom, of course, is never free. There are always people who will try to take it away from you, no matter how many times you break their chains. Freedom is not so much a state of where we are now, but rather, a state we are working our way towards. Each chain we break gets us closer to the blessed day when our freedom shines upon us like the sun.

"The only question that remains now is, are we brave enough? Are we brave enough to fight for our freedom? To stand up for what we believe in, and to endure for what we know to be right? Let us use the next year, and the next, and the next, to give an answer to that greatest question of all."

Emblems were passed, and we all watched 'Fellowship of the Ring' Extended Edition up until the Fellowship left Lothlorien. One person was in attendance. One person partook of the emblems, which in this case, were a box of Goobers, representing my body which no longer sits in a Kingdom Hall, and a glass of reduced fat 2% milk, the Milk of Freedom from the Watchtower. We concluded with an episode of 'The Powerpuff Girls' from Season 6, "Aspiration", I believe it was, which we weren't able to enjoy until 1:30 this morning. Sedusa used the Gangrene Gang to steal Egyptian artifiacts so she could become really powerful and get revenge on the Powerpuff Girls for shaving her hair off in the past.

There you have it.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit