Chavez is officialy DEAD!!

by wolfman85 37 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Somebody told me that one pound of dry salted codfish costs about $40 U.S. dollars.

Wolfman ...

My wife is from Columbia, next door to Venezuela. We have been to Venezuela three times, as recently as 2010.

She said that in the past, Venezuela was the model country, with all its wealth due to oil. However, it produces very little else. Most food is imported. There is not much farmland compared to other countries.

The currency, Bolivares, are not convertable to US dollars or Euros (thanks to Chavez). You convert your dollars when you enter Venezuela and anything left over is just paper in your wallet when you leave.

The "official" exchange rate was about 4 Bolivares to 1 US Dollar. But you go to your hotel, and the guy taking your bags to your room offers you 8 to 1 to exchange (technically illegal). Even the hotel offered us a significant discount when we were checking out if we used US Dollars. Now, I hear that the street rate is about 12-15 Bolivares to a US Dollar.

So yes, prices can be EXTREMELY HIGH if you use the official exchange rate. But the rate on the street is much different.

Rub a Dub

• soontobe
    soontobe

Yup. You get much better rates on the black market. What parts of the country have you visited Rub? I've driven around quite a bit.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    What parts of the country have you visited Rub? I've driven around quite a bit.

Soontobe ...

Mainly just Caracas and Margarita Island (that place is beautiful). Then Aruba and Curacao since they are right off the coast.

Driving in Venezuela is a nightmare. I don't know how you do it. Traffic is horrific compared to other places we have traveled. Honestly, we don't have Venezula in our travel plans in the foreseeable future.

Rub a Dub

• soontobe
    soontobe

Rub, when I land, I get out of Caracas as soon as possible. I hate Caracas. Crime and traffic. Sometimes you can get a flight to Valencia from Miami, though. Much better for me, since I go to Maracay which is where everyone I know is.

Outside of the Caracas/Valencia corridor, traffic isn't so bad. Well, it's not too good in Barquisimeto either. However, people drive like maniacs all over the country. Red lights are suggestions only.

I've never been to Margarita. I hear it is beautiful, as you say. My wife lived there for a time. She's from Maracay.

I've been to the far east of the country, and going west, almost to the Colombian border (San Cristobal). The drive up to Merida from Barquisimeto is really beautiful with striking views as you climb into the Andes. Lara state is somewhat dry, and you can buy fresh goat cheese by the roadside. Yaracuy state is beautiful in the morning in a different way, green and smelling of orange blossoms. North of Maracay is Henry Pittier National Park in the coastal range, highly recommended. I've driven over that range to the beaches on the other side several times. The drive up to Colonia Tovar (the German colony) from La Victoria is also incredible. Next time I go for an extended time, I want to go south to the Gran Sabana, and maybe to Canaima National Park. Hopefully the country will make a good change. I won't take my kids in its current state of extreme lawlessness.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I've never been to Margarita. I hear it is beautiful, as you say.

soontobe ...

Yes, it is very beautiful. Mrs Rubadub was on my back for a couple of years for us to buy a condo there since beachfront was relatively cheap (like $75-$90k at the time) and you could rent it out when you are not there and get some of your money back.

Well, as more and more property was taken over by Chavez, she finally came to the realization that we (I mainly) made the right decision in not buying anything there. Knowing the political climate, it was too risky to buy something and as you stated, someone is living in it when you go there. No way!!!

Just wayyyyyyyyyyy to risky for us.

soontobe, we may have to PM since I am still "in" with family and am still staying "under the radar". Would love to chat more.

Rub a Dub

• soontobe
    soontobe

Sounds great, Rub.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Many in Venezuela adore Chavez. But so did many Germans love Hitler. Like all countries, some prosper and some don't. It is that expressing yourself may end in death in Venezuela.

• bohm
    bohm

chavez properly think his dead was a cia conspiracy like the moon landings

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Seems like (on what is being said about this guy from the liberals), that they would love Hitler standing up to the US "oliarchy"!

• Satanus
    Satanus

This is all interesting information.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit