The real problem with Watchtower.

by Rattigan350 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

A topic on here about 1975 prompted me to write about how, for me, that is and never was or will be an issue.

Also, the 144,000 and 'two classes' with memorial partaking, and child abuse are not issues with this religion. Everyone has their unique teachings and personnel problems.

The real problem with this religion was highlighted in the 2008 Yearbook. It gave a story of a young woman who was from Estonia who was on the equivalent of American Idol for Estonia. She made it through to go to their Hollywood, but she had a talk scheduled in the Theocratic Ministry School and she wanted to give God priority.

The problem being that people are given no dignity by their talents, goals, asperations, creativity being wasted and people are pushed into being just part magazine, tract, invitation distribution chain, just a cog in the machine, rather than to take advantage of their talents and develop them.

It reminds me of the episode of Star Trek Original Series, the Apple. McCoy said the people are a viable society; then Spock said that they have no initiative no creativity. They just live to serve Vaal. The Witnesses are the same way. They have no creativity, no initiative, and are just content with doing what is termed "serving Jehovah". If somone wants to be a doctor, actor, nuclear physisist, singer or whatever, that one is discouraged about that and is only encouraged to pioneer, i.e. get 70 hours in the door to door to support the organization.

So, all of these other complaints are simply attacks because they don't like something else with the people or religion; but the wasted lives and talents applies and transends to everyone.

• designs
    designs

They bleach you dry until you are about as nutritious as a soda cracker.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The watchtower culture means mediocrity and failure is rewarded and excellence is criticised

• never a jw
    never a jw

Amen to that,

Not only do they rob the individuals of their talents, but also rob society of its potential collective talent.

JW's denigrate careers because they are intended to get you prestige, fame and money. How come they are so quick to rush to hospitals when they are sick. Yeah they want to go to those places infested with those greedy, desirous of fame and prestige doctors. Instead they should go to the humble servants of Jehovah for help, i.e. the elders.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I agree with everything that you have said, except this: " So, all of these other complaints are simply attacks because they don't like something else with the people or religion.." I know that there are bitter people who just attack the WTBTS. Adressing all those other issues are necessary IMO. All these issues, including what you brought up, which is totally true, are symptoms of the core issue IMO. The real issue being that the WTBTS is not God's Organization at all, it's a corporate religious hybrid ran by modern Pharisees ( GB ) and Scribes ( lawyers ).

It is very disgusting and hypocritical the way they discourage using talents that are a gift from God. The girl you mentioned could have been successful and still worshipped her creator. She just could not do it in the prescribed manner that the WTBTS dictates. If too many sheep were financially well off and successful and still served their creator, then it would prove that the GB were in error. Success outside of the Organization does not fit in with their " US verses Them, all worldly people are bad, you will immediately be swallowed up by Satan" mentality. That cannot be allowed because the sheep would see that they can serve their creator and live a real life. The GB's power and wealth would disapear, just like the illusion of VAAL.

The GB must " give breath " to their own image which is the Organization. They then serve the very image that they have created. That is job security for the " priesthood " of the WTBTS. They cannot allow the sheep to be under the law of the Christ.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Some of the things JWs are told to avoid being yet are dependent on for their health, entertainment and general funtions of daily life: Doctors, lawyers, denist, engineers, veterinarians, professional atheletes, professional musicians, actors.

Their way of thinking really is quite stupid when you thing about it.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

A very intelligent young brother had a part at the convention a few years ago sharing how he was offered a full scholarship to a leading North American technical school and internship at NASA. He turned these opportunities down to pioneer!!! His parents and the audience were so proud of him.

I hope he doesn't realize TTATT and regret throwing those opportunities away. Last time I saw him, he was a bookkeeper.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So, all of these other complaints are simply attacks because they don't like something else with the people or religion; but the wasted lives and talents applies and transends to everyone.

I totally agree with your OP in the WTS. diminishes individual personal achievement but what we are trying to show is just exactly what you yourself

are saying, that the WTS. solely looks after itself and its literature distribution using cunning, exploitive and deceiving tactics and labels this as

serving god.

1975 is just one example of this cunning and deceiving attributes of this religious publishing house.

Exposing the layers of this corruption is good for all to realize and acknowledge, for people inside the organization as well outside of it.

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

They are slowing digging their own grave... good for them!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Data dog said "Adressing all those other issues are necessary IMO". True.

I was highlighting what Nice dreams said in how people are so proud of what they gave up as that is taught. There is nothing taught about prophesies or abuse and no one is proud of that.

Mormons and many in other denominations encourage and talk about what people are accomplishing. What do JWs talk about? How's the congregation. Who is pioneering, how is the pioneering, the studies, what's new from the FDS? Nothing about the person. Nothing said about one's golf game or batting average, etc, or GPA.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit