WT Society holds EXTREME Responsibility for 1975 and False Expectations

by flipper 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Sour Grapes
  • Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Flipper, I think that it is nice how you respond to those who write on your thread. Sour Graps

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I converted to this religion in 1969, at the height of the 1975 hysteria. I was one those who studied using the blue Truth book. Up until then, the Dubbies would study with you as long as you were willing. Beginning with this book, you were expected to progress to baptism within six months. They didn't have time to waste on unbelievers, the end was too close! I was 13, and I studied along with my parents. I was a believer, I was told that 1975 marked six thousand years of man's existence, and that the end of this system started in 1914, and that this was predicted by Charles Russell. (a lie, he thought Armageddon would come in 1914). I was told that the generation alive in 1914 would not pass away before Armageddon. So many indications, only a fool would not believe the end was close!

The WTBTS was careful to be somewhat ambiguous in the literature, but every JW I knew expected that the end of this system would come in 1975. Then, as the date grew nearer, something strange happened. All of a sudden, the Society stopped talking about it. 1975 came and went with no mention from the Watchtower. Then the Watchtower came out and said they never said Armageddon would come in 1975, some had just "gone ahead", it was all our fault. I was stupid, I actually bought into it, oh yeah, stupid me, I misinterpreted the literature, my bad. Within a few more years, nobody even woulwould admit tgey believed in 1975, as that would mean you were just "serving for a date". Now most JWs know very little, if anything about this, its just buried, like all the others false predictions. Sad.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I started a regular Bible study with the witnesses in the spring of 1973, I graduated from college in August and I was baptized in November. Everything was push, push, push 1975. Datadog nailed it, the society never once attempted to put the brakes on it.

I remember the International Assembly in Vancouver BC vividly as it was the first such thing I'd been to. They had a very lengthy drama about the fall of Jericho. Right after that the released a new tract that we would be handing out in the fall in a sort of lightening campaign. They also said that there would be others at regular intervals. That night in conversation with several dubs a certain Sister N___ said that if we did one of these every three months and we did seven of the them the last one would be in the fall of 1975.

Fast forward to 1988 as my wife and I are getting ready to leave. This sister and her husband visit us (we'd moved across the state) we got to talking about some stuff and I brought this up without mentioning names. Sister N___ says "oh nobody ever said anything like that."

• trebor
    trebor

EXTREME Responsibility for 1975 would be an understatement. Here are some of my 'favorites', some quoted previously but still worth another mention:

Awake! October 18, 1966, page 19:

"In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975."

Our Kingdom Ministry March 1968,page 4:

"Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth is completed. Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out..."

Watchtower August 15, 1968, page 499 (bound volume):

"Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? PossiblyIt may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."

Our Kingdom MinistryJune 1969 page 3:

"…in view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous....Many young brothers and sisters were offered scholarship or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first."

Watchtower, October 15, 1969,page 623 (bound volume):

"More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind’s life on earth would end in the mid seventies. Thus the seventh millennium from man’s creation by Jehovah God would begin within less than ten years...Would not, then, the end of six millenniums of mankind’s enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a Sabbath millennium for his human creatures? Yes, Indeed!"

Our Kingdom Ministry,page 3, May 1974:

"Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

The Truth Book, primary study aid for Jehovah’s Witnesses to use with Bible Students, the version published prior to the year 1975 (they changed the wording in a later revision after 1975) reads as follows on page 9 under ‘Grand Blessings from God Near at Hand!’:

“Also, as reported back in 1960, a former United States Secretary of State, Dean Acheson, declared that our time is "a period of unequaled instability, unequaled violence." And he warned: "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in fifteen years from today, this world is going to be too dangerous to live in." [Note: 15 years from 1960=1975]

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its interesting and quite indicative in how JWS stand and support their organization as they are instructively enforced to.

In doing so they will complacently lie about the organization's past previous lies, which were past indulgent marketing schemes.

Mustn't bring reproach onto god's earthy arrangement shall we ?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

They hold responsibility for both the failed expectations and the attempts to spin it and place blame on the congregation members for getting all worked up :

Awake 95 6/22 p9

"More recently, many Witnesses conjectured that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then. These erroneous views did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means! "

YearBook 95 p227 Mexico

"There were strong expectations concerning the year 1975 and what it might mean in the fulfillment of Jehovah’s purpose. Some set their hearts on that date as the time when the old system would be destroyed and God’s new world would be established. "

Is that honest??

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

These erroneous views did not mean that God’s promises were wrong, that he had made a mistake. By no means!

Of course they didn't state that this dating system was deviously created to enhance the attention of getting the WTS's literature distributed more

and that this 6000 year scheme was previously used by the WTS. in the past to accomplish the very same agenda.

That would be too truthful and honest wouldn't it.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“WHAT did any of you folks here observe personally and eyewitness back in the early 1970's or just before 1975 ?”

The conversation I remember like yesterday was held between a circuit servant and the local congregation servant and his assistant. The discussion was in 1968 and was about how soon the great tribulation would last leading up to Armageddon at 1975. The circuit servant thought it would not last more than 1 year. Another thought it could last as much as 5 years. The discussion heated up with the circuit servant threatening disfellowshipping for apostasy for going beyond what Mother had said. At that point a third-party piped up saying “Where does the Society say the great tribulation will last 1 year?” The circuit servant gave a sharp look and replied “Boy you don’t know what your getting into!”

Speaking of misleading speculation:

“Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern

antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom." The Nations Shall Know that I am Jehovah—How?, published by Watchtower, 1971, p. 216.

“[Paul] was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." The Watchtower, January 1, 1989, p 12.

Marvin Shilmer

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Here is what trips me out. 1975 was a mess. Clearly. But in the 80's and 90's JW's grew quite a bit. I figure if 1975 didn't bring it all down in a more modern age, then there are certain people who will jsut believe anything, and that is it. Nothing can be done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit