Temporary Special Pioneer Assignment...?

by goatshapeddemon 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Members of my extended family were recently given a Temporary Special Pioneer assignment as a result of the Bible School for Christian Couples (vomit).

Anyone got details on how this works? Why temporary? Is it a testing ground for Circuit Work or a "we dont want you on our payroll for good so we'll use up what you have to offer and dump you back into reg pio status when this definitely not-cushy assignment is over"?

Hours requirement?

Stipend?

Housing assistance (housing is terribly expensive where they're headed)?

Insurance?

Transportation?

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

(We're being shunned at present so we can't ask ourselves.)

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

I used to organize TEMP campaigns in countries where the "need is great".

This (not very common and not well known arrangement) works like this:

Temporary because they will send you to territories where they have 0 Witnesses and don't know how you will received (cannon fodder). It's like throwing mud at the wall, they expand with several hundred people (always in groups of 2 or more) and then see who has the most success.

Usually 3-4 months (some countries do a 2 month, but it is seldom). 3 months is standard. Another reason is exactly what you have said: money. This is cost intensive. TEMPs get the same amount of money/support as Special Pioneers - monthly allowance, rent support, some help for transportation. No medical / health care. For pioneers from western countries the money is a pity and brings you down to "slave labour" status (in comparison to the wages you would get in your home country). For locals this is like winning the lottery. In some countries that i've been (in Bethel), locals would literally kill to "get the job". Sometimes they would appoint people that where pretty shaddy and strange, but because the territories are far away and sometimes dangerous/isolated, Bethel would accept whoever has legs and wouldn't kill his partner in an attack of schizophrenic attack (although, Bethel had to pull out some people that where behaving more than strange, or fucking the locals - literally like in fornication

After the 3 months are over, they pull everybody out and then it is a numbers game. The places that got almost a new congregation started, get a permanent Special Pioneer couple, the others are dropped. It is a "push-and-pull" game.

This is it in a nutshell. If I remember something else, I'll write.

Oh, I remember one funny episode (disgusting). Two TEMPs sisters had an assignment together in a isolated rural area. After they came back, one of the sisters wanted to talk to me (I was the overseer of the programme). She told me that her partner had a problem. I had heard so much shit from people that almost nothing could "get to me" anymore. She said that during her stay there, they had an invasion of bats (yes the animal) in the house....(at this moment I go: "hhhhhmmmmm, THIS WILL be crazy shit....) "Go on, sister holymary" Then she told me that she found out that her partner would wash the disposable menstrual pads and dry to re-use again, but that she didn't have time and stored them somewhere in the house, also under her bed and that attracted lots of bats.....)

I wanted to .

I couldn't find a good scripture to read.

I let her go and had a couple of drinks to forget the conversation.

This was one of many strange conversations that I had during my time at Service department.

• sir82
    sir82

Interesting - I had never heard of the "temporary special pioneer" status, but BluePill2's explanation sounds like something the WTS would do.

The stipend for a US special pioneer is $600 / month - as noted, a pittance in the US.

However, you could live almost like royalty for that kind of money in most places in Central America, especially if both spouses got it.

Is the $600/month a "worldwide" rate? Or is it adjusted to the cost of living of wherever you are sent?

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

sir82: the rates will differ from country to country, but it has some kind of "minimum bottom" and for most poor countries that would be higher than the average person would get for regular work. Sometimes I talked about this with the branch committees as it would attract people that where clearly behind the cash. But they used to say that they must maintain a dignified life style to give good witness and show J's blessings. Also, sometimes they would hire appoint foreign couples and they would not be able to survive on a true low rate.

I give you an example: in one central american country a police men or a teacher would get something around 400 Pesos / month, the Special Pioneers or the TEMPs would get something in the neighborhood of 1200 Pesos PER head. I knew some locals that would totally go on rice and beans for months without end, and with the savings they could build their own house and get out of "service" and suddenly the wife became pregnant...(usually once the house was finished).

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Wait you are being shunned? I feel like I missed something and I thought I was following your story.

I don't know much about the temp assignment except of course for them to see if you can handle it.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Hey problemaddict - not shunned by everyone (i.e. not by immediate family), but by extended family, yes. They said they "would do what the congregation was not willing to do."

thanks for the details BluePill. They're actually being sent within the states to a foreign language territory in an area that is UBER-expensive.

Hubby thinks there will surely be a "good christian couple" who will provide inexpensive lodging. How typical of the WT - offload the financial burden to the friends.

Thanks all!

GSD

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

If it is within the US they miiiiight get along with "green handshakes" - that is, if US witnesses can afford them. It is a whole different thing to be shipped off to some foreign country. Living expenses there are not big (if you eat chicken, rice and beans and then more rice, beans and chicken). But if you need some things that are unusual to locals (calling home, flying home, shampoo or cosmetics, a car, etc.) then you are screwed. As I did, locals is something entirely different - to them this is: BINGOOOOOO, J's blessing us with mooolaaahhh.....

Permanent Special Pioneers and Bethelites also get a PEA account ("Personal Expense Allowance"). Some kind of internal savings that the Borg set's up for unexpected, "bigger expenses". Will also vary from country to country. To some this is for "little extra luxuries" (nothing ordinary if you had an actual job).

Whatever, this is all sad, sad stuff. Reminds me of those times......loss of energy, youth and tons and tons and tons of money that I could have made. Total waste of Life. I have to stop, still makes me angry.

• williamhconley
    williamhconley

Special Pioneer hours is 130 a month. I have been told by SP themselves that the branch now tells them to work at least 2 days a week to complement their stipend. The society has cut the monthly stipend by 20% according to my sources. This reduction is for central america. I dont know if they did the same for the U.S. A couple from the b

• williamhconley
    williamhconley

A couple from the new school were assigned to a foreign language congregation in our area and the Congregation has been providing them with food and housing. The branch imposes on the locals to support those brothers financially. They criticize you for running your business and getting an education but they are more than happy to benefit from your work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit