The Mormons would not let me speak at my Dad's funeral

by FormerMormon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm sorry. (( )) So not only do you have grief to cope with, but they GAVE you grief for it. Idiots.

Yes, borgs are the same way as morgs when it comes to funerals.

they "boxed" us in the pew with the two largest guys in the family sitting on both sides of us. We were on the front row by the casket.

Facepalm

Unfortunately, yeah, I'm not surprised. I intend to take full control of my parents' funerals if at all possible, and have dubs thrown out if they try to show up. My plan is to send a letter by overnight mail notifying them they will be trespassing & will be arrrested.

Unfortunately you have more relatives "in" who set the whole thing up.

(Side note: If anyone's interested, here is a Mormon-JW comparison chart Former Mormon helped me with a few yrs ago.)

• Quandry
    Quandry

So, so sorry, FormerMormon.

Funerals should be a time for the grieving family members to comfort one another and remember their loved one, not a religious infomercial...but obviously, Mormons and JWs are similar when it comes to the program. It's all about appearances, instead of speaking from the heart about YOUR relative. Your dad obviously loved you as evidenced by the fact that you regularly spoke to one another. They can't take that from you....

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I'm so sorry for your loss, formermormon. It sounds like you have good memories of your Dad, and had a good relationship with him till the end. I hope that gives you comfort.

As for not allowing you to speak, and boxing you and your family in with the 2 largest men, kind of sounds like a Mormon Mafia! If you still speak to your family, you may want to mention that when you told the story of your Fathers funeral to others, and how you were treated, they were appalled and it reaffirmed their beliefs that Mormons are a strange, unchristian sect that does not really follow Jesus teachings.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've got a funeral story. Hubby's family is mostly regular folk, a few have dabbled with the Witnesses, and a couple siblings still are. The service was non-denominational and I thought tasteful. The Witnesses and their wives had to make a "statement", though. They gathered around the gravesite on their own afterwards, and had their "own" prayers. I am embarrassed to say I was dragged in to it, being with my hubby. It was an embarrassing display.

For sure, outsiders can smell the hypocrisy and the drama.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

So sorry to hear that this happened to you.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

It makes me sad for you. I went throuigh this last year with my brother and my mom. My JW family was so worried that I might want to speak at my brother's funeral and say something that would "bring reproach" (or, god forbid, one of his worldly friends might speak) that they went overboard to ensure the funeral was held in such a way that only the JW message was heard and I was muzzled.

It's so freaking insane. But it's how cults manage funerals. It's a time they can invoke maximum hurt.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am sorry that the same thing happened to you manochan13. Are there any epic stories that really stand out in the JW world? Something that would make a Mormon say "WTF"?

• spirituk
    spirituk

in such cases ,why didnt you kick the s**t out of them , i would ve done that.. these people are sick in mind and cant understand anything.. they banned you one of the most sacred things for you .. only revolution my friend , these people dont understand the good way , it just goes on and mess up people lifes . we have to stand up for us for truth and for the good of the ones we care

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm sorry this happened to you. You came to the right place...among former JWs and Mormons, there are thousands upon thousands of stories like this. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Evil cult.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit