The Mormons would not let me speak at my Dad's funeral

by FormerMormon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

--Because I no longer nelieve. I was excommunicated for "Apostasy". That was their rationale for not allowing me to speak at his funeral last month. My family did everything they could to keep us away. They threatened to call the cops if we stepped foot on any of my dad's properties, including a home me and my sons helped my dad to build. I raised my 3 sons a half block away from my parents. Yes, my dad wanted me to rejoin MORONism, but we still spoke weekly and we had plans to visit during spring break. My family said that if we insisted on coming, they wanted us to stay at a hotel, "behave yourself" and never come to the family home. They couldn't give ANY example of when I had EVER not behaved. They expected us to stay away while the rest of the family created memories a few blocks away. Other wild and outrageous accusations about us were made secretly. They really want and NEED to believe the worst about us. It used to be such an idyllic family.

My family has been giving me "tough love" to force us back into the clutches of mormonism. I have been told repeatedly what I needed to do to be good with the family. Go back to Mormonism. We "excluded" ourselves, they say. The word "shun" isn't used, but effectively the same thing exists.

I decided to take my family to the funeral anyway. Family and friends were very divided at our insisted presence. Very few risked coming up to us, expressing love, and thanks that we had come, despite our treatment by the church and family. These few examples were deep, sincere and long lasting. We had a hard time getting out of the chapel by speaking with these few who still cared, despite being trained not to by the cult.

Anyway, at the beginning of the meeting, they "boxed" us in the pew with the two largest guys in the family sitting on both sides of us. We were on the front row by the casket. In her eulogy, my oldest sister said that my dad had wanted ALL of his kids to speak at his funeral. But there I was, excluded from the program of speakers and boxed in. A scene would have developed had I tried to say one word at my dad's funeral, or go up to the podium. Instead, I stood up by the casket and started humming Edelweis, a family favorite. I choked up trying to hum the song. A few family members started chiming in with the "words" I was forbidden to say. Afterward, I kissed the casket and had a moment of silence before sitting down. Afterwards, several commented that they had held it together, until I did that.

My family just does not "get" how cruel they are being. The new family rules seem to be 1. You can't be too cruel with "apostates". 2. NEVER apologize to apostates, no matter how eggregious the behavior. 3. Secrecy, false accusations and back talk are used to justify their behavior. 3. Never give us a chance to know what shit they are saying about us, nor calling us to get our side of anything.

To me, my siblings are a lost cause, until they or I come to a radically different opinion of what has happened. To the few in my family that still care, I can't say ANYTHING Mormon. They might listen to how loopy the JW's are though.

Do you have any epic stories or examples of how hurtful JW's can be when a family member leaves?

TIA,

Former Mormon

P.S. My God had better sex than your God...

• happy@last
    happy@last

I'm sure you'll get plenty of stories, many here are shunned, meanwhile thank you for sharing and I'm sorry to hear your family too are under mind control.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Hi Former Mormon. So sad and sorry to hear that. I thought only the JW's were hateful & cruel to their family members that have been shunned. So thanks for sharing and PEACE be with you.

• designs
    designs

Sadly it sounds all to familiar to us xJWs. Funerals are big Big Deal in JW Land and must follow a prescribed script. My last locking-horns with the JW Elders was over a funeral Euology I gave.

• Conan The Barbarian
    Conan The Barbarian

Although sad, this is a common practice and behavior in many controlling religions. Hey, wait a minute! Most religions are controlling!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I'm sorry that your Morman family is as unloving as other dangerous cult members, FormerMormon.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

hey im really sorry about your dad,and what your family and you had and are dealing with,i have been talking to alot of mormons latly and they dont love the real jesus of the bible same as jw the religion, book of mormon d and c and pearl of great price is more improtant than ppl and truth.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

as a JW, I can empathize... Sad stories... family Unity is just not their priority.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Wow - that is awful. Hope they wake up and apologise.

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Hi FormerMormon, I'm so sorry to hear what your family did to you. It is not right, but sadly this is what happens when someone tries to go against the cult. Most of us on here know what you are going through with the "excluded"/shunning. Most of our families have shunned us because we wanted to leave the cult of Jw's. As a JW there basically are 3 ways to leave and none of them are easy because we still lose something. There is writing a Disassociation letter stating you no longer wish to be a JW, this is the worse because you are automatically an apostate. Second way you are leave is being disfellowshipped, "kicked out" you can be Df'ed if you talk against the Watchtower, or by committing a sin. 3rd way is by becoming "inactive" meaning you stop going out preaching and stop going to meetings. I choose going inactive because it is the lesser of the 3 evils, because I still might have a chance to talk to family. It didn't work. Even though I did nothing other than stop going to meetings and service, my grandmother, aunt and cousin have all shunned me and call me an apostate. I can't even call my grandmother because she lives with my aunt. So yea it does happen. And there are others on here who have lost their spouse, kids, and other family. Thankfully my parents are the ones who talked to my husband and I about WT being a cult and they are the ones who helped us to leave, so I'm very thankful I have my husband and parents. But some have lost everyone. Peace and love to you and your family and welcome to JWN-Land! G

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit