"Foreigners" and today's Watchtower

by 88JM 25 Replies latest jw friends

• 88JM
    88JM

I know this is true every week, and I say it all the time, and I know Blondie will be doing her review later, but...

TODAY'S WATCHTOWER WAS BAT-SHIT CRAZY!

I knew it was going to be a bizzare one just reading it, but the comments at the meeting took it even further. I can't post all the crazy ones, but in summary what they were saying was:

"Although the majority of people in the world are racist and bigoted, JWs are not racist and bigoted. We are different to people in the world."

How can they not see the problem with that argument? Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Below are some of the real comments I heard. I've done my best not to take these out of context and typed them from the recording of the meeting in the words that were said:

"If people do view us as strange, we have to view it as a compliment. What would be wrong is if we appeared as normal or we blended in with the rest of society. It would show something is wrong with our conscience."

"When we become Jehovah's people, it's like we change our nationality - we become his nation."

"We are not simply saying that we are temporary residents in the world, but our way of life backs it up as well."

"Some people don't feel comfortable talking to Witnesses at the door, so we can direct them to the jw.org website."

"Someone we met in the ministry last week said Witnesses act irresponsibly because they don't vote to make changes. What they don't understand is that our vote is already given to Jehovah's government. Because we are different, we sometimes get this persecution."

"The world seems to want to want to spot differences and even define people by their one big or obvious difference. But if we are in a family, we don't call our sister "the curly-haired one", or "the ginger one" but we spot our similarities and say "that's my sister" or "that's my brother" - we accept people for who they are, we look to our similarities and that's what we have to do."

"If you were ill and you wanted a kidney transplant, we wouldn't mind where it came from."

"We have what the world would view as foreigners in our congregation and there are certain differences in culture and that's been highlighted. I've been told that in Italy that if you don't wear a white shirt when you're on the platform, you can't go on the platform. It's these little things that we learn about so if we were there, we can respect these people's cultures. But at the end of the day, we are just brother's and sisters."

"If it had been done Jehovah's way, we would have black, white or yellow popping up here and there, not in great masses like they are at the moment. The reason they are in great masses at the moment is because they've separated themselves out and so there's one kind of feature grown up in different races. But otherwise, it would have been a mixture and that's the way it should be."

"The Watchtower goes to great pains to define the word foreigner in a way we can understand. But it demonstrates the more you try to define it, the more pointless the expression becomes. It's really down to our individual attitude toward people who may be slightly different for whatever reason."

"And with regards to the picture, I just think it looks like a bus-load of foreigners. ( everyone laughs) But if you were actually from that country - wherever it is - it wouldn't look like a bus-load of foreigners, it would just look like a bus-load of people."

"It [the picture] looks like Latin America and the woman that the sister is preaching to looks of indigenous nature, probably from the outskirts of the city, and so she might be different to them because she's not part of the city. We can see everyone is in modern clothing and she is in more traditional clothing. So she probably views this area as foreign, but this sister has spoken to her, using the new brochure and witnessing to her, saying to her that I'm witnessing to you no matter where you're from."

"Only Jehovah's witnesses have adopted God's way of thinking."

"If a worldly man [referring to the Ted Turner quote] who hasn't got any regard for bible principles or standards can come out with a comment like that, then how much more so should we take that on board. That's why we take this point seriously. Like in the the war in Rwanda, brothers didn't see tribal differeces but they saw their brother and sister in need, and that's why they risked their own life to save their brother and sister ."

"I'm just very grateful that I've been taught by Jehovah that people from other places are the same as myself. But I would have been brought up as a very different sort of person, hating foreigners, and not liking people of different colors. But I'm glad now that I can look people straight in the eye (and I've done this going out to assemblies or on the train) and they can see straight away in my face that I don't dislike them or distrust them. And I've talked to lots of different foreigners and I've had good times with them and witnessed to them. They expect it normally for a person of a white race to hate a person of a coloured race or be suspicious of them, but I've had some good times with them."

"If there's a disaster in a foreign country, perhaps a plane goes down, they immediately segregate: "oh, there's so many English people that we're not aware of whether they're well or they've died or not" but if a bus-load of Jehovah's people on the way to an assembly crashed and they all died, we wouldn't be saying: "oh, you know there were 8 British and 7 Scottish" - they would be brothers and sisters."

"We are part of the European Common Market but each nation fights for it's own interest - it just doesn't work."

"Satan and his demons are behind these divisions. The boudaries are really artificial, not intended by Jehovah."

• designs
    designs

They try to work on racial harmony but they definitely preach religious bigotry.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I get so impaitent waiting on Blondies comments ;) I too read this and that whaaaa? It is so self important it sickens me.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

88JM:

The application of Isa 61:5-7 also made me disgusted. When I get time I'm going to post some commentary from the NICOT-Isaiah volume.

(I'm also still getting to the Mark-Matthew thread. Time has been a problem of late.)

Take care

• Honesty
    Honesty

Nuckin' futs.

• hoser
    hoser

It is just more guilt mongering as usual. Don't settle down in this system and get a career cause don't ya know the big A is just around the next corner.

hoser

• designs
    designs

The 'Foreigner' mentality sucks in a lot of young people who are at the point in life where they naturally seek meaning and direction. Be a missionary or special pioneer, it requires little training, possibly learning a new language, and off you go on a big adventure.

• Kudra
    Kudra

my favorite is the comment about how if we were doing things "jehovah's way" we wouldn't have larve groups of people with racial, physical differences but we'd have developed black white and yellow all intermixed. wtf?

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Thank you for posting. I had forgotten how crazy some wt studies could be.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Your congregation sounds crazier than mine.

Hey what's your avatar picture by the way?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit