The real danger of "end times" thinking

by new22day 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Just think what 7 billion people could do if they tried.

I agree. Just think if 7 Billion people truly realized what sonship with God meant. 7 billion people would immediately treat others as they would like to be treated themselves, 7 billion would be honest, loving, caring, sharing, humble. The world would literally change overnight.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Please don't quote my words and use them to hijack this topic Data-Dog. I am suggesting that we don't become apathetic about making the world a better place in line with the op. I am not suggesting everyone becomes a Christian.

• clarity
    clarity

Just think what 7 billion people could do if they tried.

>

Great words!

>

Christopher Hitchens, in many of his lectures & debates also

expresses this. He also debates how the lack of action &

responsibility leaves the world a much poorer place!

>

End times ...is a slacker & lazy mans religion!(my words)

clarity

• new22day
    new22day

Good points everyone. Thanks for responding

"Political history is full of examples of tiny governments being afraid of the populace revolting because we always outnumber them. ... Just think what 7 billion people could do if they tried."

Xanthippe: I really love this.

Julia Orwell: thanks for the insight. When I read the internal struggles/guilt so many of you went through I'm reminded I don't fully get it and I'm shocked at how tough being a JW can really be. Glad you're free and doing better.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That's why my frien hates dubs for their inaction. Calling them defeatists

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

It also gets in the way of wanting to make your own life better too.

It always bothered me that I couldn't get involved with causes I truly cared about when I was an active Witness. They always viewed it as lacking faith in God's Kingdom.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This is my #1 problem with the religion. Good thread, and one of the few "points" I've decided it's worth being dogmatic about with my wife.

Sure, I can put up with the moral restrictions, that's fine. And a belief in afterlife? That's nice, quite comforting. Where it really becomes dangerous is the idea that time's up any day now. No need to prepare for reality. . . Hell, don't even acknowledge reality. . . It's all going away anyway, we're-all-foreigners- in-a-strange-land worldview.

That mentality leaves a person totally unprepared for the reality that awaits them; and upon finding they have never really prepared for the real future, they have no choice but to sink further into the loving arms of the cult.

• steve2
    steve2

You don't have to be a defeatist to become a JW, but it sure helps.

• prologos
    prologos

end time thinking is benefitial if you

face reality and realize that you really live in Your Own End Time.

I am in a countdown of 5 500 days, based on best survival age in my ancestors ( not counting Adam the mythological).

Do the best for yourself for others in the time before your end, its the only end you are going to have.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

The "end of the world" is really kind of misleading.

Armageddon is not going to destroy the world's infrastructure. The survivors will enjoy the "spoils" of those who don't survive. Governments are made up of concepts in the people's minds, so destroying buildings mean nothing. The people will be killed. The Bible gives us the context of a lot of dead bodies whose flesh will be eaten by the birds, picked clean. Then crews will come and bury the bones. So that is close to what happened in Egypt where the firstborn just dropped dead.

So maybe people will go crazy, walk to some public park or something in the nude and then drop dead, making easy pickin's for the scavenger birds.

In the meantime, rather than the "end of the world", a better concept is a CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT. The "end of the world" simply means government by man, influenced by Satan, will end end and God's kingdom of 1000 years will begin. Then after that, JUDGMENT DAY, which could last up to 100 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit