It's a miserable life --- Really?

by Lady Lee 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

rip

You are right. We don't know. Certainly some people are born more resilient than others. The sad thing is that many of them can change their attitudes towards their past and turn them around to be positive. I think it is a choice. Possibly some are not capable of it as others. But st some point we have to make choices to have a better life, to be better, to strive to improve in just one small way.

When I was working in the homeless shelter there was a young woman there who had been thrown out of her home. She had been born addicted and it had affected her throughout her life (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome). Everyone told her she could never live on her own and take care of herself. But she wanted something better then living in a homeless shelter for the rest of her life. She wanted it so badly and everyone in her life kept saying she couldn't do it. One day she came into the office of yet another round of her foster mother and social worker telling she couldn't do it. So I suggest she tell them she was going to try it in spite of all the negativity. And she did it. When she got her money at the beginning of the month she paid her bills, did her shopping, kept a bit of money for food during the month and the rest was for her (not that there was much left). Before I quit the job she came to see me after several months on her own. She was doing great. She looked great and said she was happier than she had ever been although she said she did miss not having people around all the time. But she did it.

I've seen the same with women who were beaten and left for dead by boyfriends and husbands. Worked with sexual abuse survivors. Every one of them had every right to be miserable. And to be fair some were. Some of their stories were horrific. But most consciously made the choice to improve their lives. To get out of the cycle of abuse.

I think it is possible to help people change -- if they want it. Hey you can lead a horse to water........ But I really belief if we have the ability and opportunity to encourage just 1 of them lives could be changed.

Just look at what goes on in here. I lot of people never register or they do register but never post People learn the WTS/JWs and are devastated and they find their way here and get encouragement and they slowly open up and bloom like a tulip in spring.

• Mum
    Mum

We who control our own choices and do not live under the control of anyone else can take responsibility for our own happiness. That, IMHO, is the beginning of wisdom. I understand that misery is justified if we have no control over our lives. But once we are free, it's all up to us.

• eyesropen323
    eyesropen323

Thank you Lady Lee!! :)

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Lady Lee, what an inspiring and thought provoking topic. I daily battle mental negativity, it was served up regularly while I was growing up. I realised I did not want to be as miserable as my parents, and had to change myself. It will always be a struggle, as the negative mental neuron pathway, but knowledge is power, and when I see myself acting negatively, I do my best to exchange the acts for something positive.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Lady Lee........you're AWESOME! I so admire and appreciate your fearlessness!

In varied situations with people, I gather It's mind over matter.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Lady Lee

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

when I see myself acting negatively, I do my best to exchange the acts for something positive.

I do this too ,PaintedToeNail ! Happiness has to come from with in ourselves . Change your thoughts ,change your world .

I struggle to do this ,but I know the effects of negative thinking ,and I do not want that for myself anymore .

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

see it IS a choice. We can change our behaviors and our thoughts and the emotions have to change too. It6 may be hard sometimes and let;s face it a bit of wallowing is due and allowed. But we can't LIVE there. That isn't living. it is barely existing. It's hanging on by our fingertips and being too afraid to try something else.

We might not even know what that something else is but it has got to be better than that just existing. And the truth is that life can be so much better outside of the WTS and the JWs and people who shun us because we don't live up to their standards of acceptable "Christian" behavior.

When I left my JW husband I was just looking for a way out of all the abuse. I thought that if I could just get the abuse out of my life I would be "content". I didn't even think about happy.

When I left the second husband due to emotional abuse I had no idea where I was going to wind up. Or how I would manage being in a wheelchair. But I had already done this before and I had landed on my feet so I was going to try it again. And I have landed on my feet and life is better than I expected. I could rant and rail that this disability has robbed me of a lot but what is the point in doing that? It would only make me miserable and then I wouldn't be enjoying the good things I have right in front of me.

Some can't or won't change. But that is their choice. But for those of us who do want something better. and let's face it we all want something better than what the JWs have, we have the power to change our lives for the better. And we have the power to feel good about who we are. We are survivors in every sense of the word. And we have a right to be proud that we have stepped off the precipice, and into the unknown ready to make positive changes.

• tiki
    tiki

Excellent point - if all we choose to see is negative, we strip away our joy, our hopes, our aspirations...........and we see nothing but miserable all around us. We have to get beyond that and see the positive, the potential, and embrace that which makes us happy and whole! And if we are gloomy, that is what we spread to those around us - but if we present as happy and positive, we can enhance other's lives. and if we feel the love, we reflect it....................:)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LADY LEE:

Your post is very touching! The small things DO count and we must stop and smell the roses.

You are also correct that you are what you think as well as what you eat. Even though we have had bad experiences in the JW religion (and some have had horrendous experiences), that does not mean we should have NO happiness at all. I had an hour-long conversation with another ex-JW friend. My throat is hoarse! She just sent me an e-mail saying that she was glad we talked but that our bad experience is really behind us!

The point is that we deserve to be happy and we can't let our experience in the religion rob us of any future happiness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit