Parents - How can I tell them what I have learnt and hope they leave too.

by free and happy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• free and happy
    free and happy

Thank you all, to Ding, I will go slowly, it is tempting to blurt it all out in one go but sowing a little seed may work better.

00DAD, I didn't think we were disfunctional as a family but your probably right,we were the typical smiley faced witnesses at the meeting, never really talking about anything and pretending we were all happyat home and with other jws.

I'm very grateful that my parents still speak to us, but my brother is out and my sister to is out so to shun us would mean them shunning all of us and the grandchildren, I know they wouldn't be able to do that.

My mum may be the key, she is definitely a fluff witness, goes more for the social reasons than the spiritual, if people speak to her or include her in things then shes happy to be there but if she goes on a downer then she says she can't be bothered with it and doesn't go for weeks! My dad just plods on regardless and if you say anything you can see his mind just cloud over, like hte witness shutters come down. Even when our daughter had a transfusion and we nearly lost her , they just glossed over it like it wasn't really happening in there family. We tried to talk to them about it and they listened but even something that major , didn't make them ask questions.

I am going to try again, thanks for everyones support and wise words.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Black Sheep, I don't think I've ever seen that 1961 Awake material before. A keeper!

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

you accomplished something already: you're free. you can't force someone else in the matrix to see the same thing. they have to choose themselves. when they are ready, offer them the red pill.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Hello to : abiblestudent - WHY do you kepp posting the SAME Steven Hassen VIDEOover and over and over - Do you WORSHIP this Steven Hassen ? Or is he your new governing body ? I thought you weren't allowed to Spam here. Enough with this video, put in a link if you must but please stop doing this, my personal request.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    villagegirl - Hello to : abiblestudent - WHY do you kepp posting the SAME Steven Hassen VIDEO over and over and over - Do you WORSHIP this Steven Hassen ? Or is he your new governing body ? I thought you weren't allowed to Spam here . Enough with this video, put in a link if you must but please stop doing this, my personal request.

Hi villagegirl, I don't worship Steve Hassan, but I do believe that his methods can help exJWs, JWs, and people adversely affected by the WTBTS. As I wrote in the thread Combating Destructive Mind Control – Part I, I agree with his methods because of my experiences with my former JW friend, but I may disagree with some of his conspiracy theories about the Unification Church.

I have three reasons for inserting a link to this video in some of my comments:

1. I like this video, because it condenses what Steve Hassan writes in his books. I will post links to newer videos if you do not like watching this video, when I find them.
    2. I wish that some one had informed me about Steve Hassan and his books and methods when I first joined JWN and JWSF. It would have helped me to communicate better with my former JW friend before her cult persona took total control of her thinking and actions.
    3. I, like most people, did not want to buy and read Steve Hassan's books based on the recommendation of a stranger. It took me about a month from first reading about Steve Hassan on JWN before I went to the library to checkout his book "Combatting Cult Mind Control". I insert the link to this video in some threads, so that people can quickly decide for themselves if reading Steve Hassan's books are really worth it to them personally.

Did I answer your question?

Robert

• Fading Begins
    Fading Begins

Hi Free and Happy - I am in a similiar position with my Mom, except I am still fadng for personal reasons. I actually got through to my Mom, without a big blowup, when I asked to look at Rev. 7. I had her read the whole chapter to me, verse by verse. When she finished each verse, I would repeat parts of the verse, and ask her if this was literal. I purposely avoided verse 4, going on to verse 5, where it states which tribes 12,000 are out of. When I asked if ths was literal, were the 12,000 from Judah,Reben, Gad etc. she said "of course not". At the end I had her read verse 4 again, where it mentions the number 144,000. I asked her if this was literal - she paused and then said yes. So then I asked, how could every word in that chapter be symbolic, even the verses mentioning 12,000, but the number 144,000 ve literal. She was dumbstruck, and didn't have anything to say. I then let her off the hook, by very sincerely saying that the society would probably have a "new truth" about that in the near future. She disagreed with that, but I left the door open, so that when it does happen, she is going to think long and hard about all these "new truths". I know she will think of our conversation every time the 144,000 are mentioned.

Through experience, I find that if I don't back her into a corner, I can very subty get her thinking about things. My Dad used to say about peoples beliefs, that if you shoved them, they would plant their feet and shove back, but if you put your arm around their shoulders, and talked respectfully, and gently they would follow. It seems to work.

• Splash
    Splash

@Black Sheep

Thanks for those Awake! 1961 references.

I've extracted them here for anyone who's interested

Awake! 1961 Feb 22 p. 7

That now-operating kingdom in heaven will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness... Can you not see that the twentieth century is the century indicated by the prophetic language of Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and 2 Timothy 3?

Awake! 1961 Feb 22 p. 8

...is it not only logical that whatever else is recorded in these above-mentioned Bible chapters must also come upon the twentieth century? ... Revelation 16:16 calls it the "war of the great day of God the Al mighty," Armageddon. This war will come in the twentieth century . ...Now is the time to heed Bible prophecy concerning the twentieth cen tury and live forever in the sunshine of God's new world.

Splash

• free and happy
    free and happy

Hello again, just thought I'd update you how I got on with tackling my mum and it was quite surprising.

While wandering round the supermarket having a general chit chat I brought it round to my daughter being at uni nursing and then I said talking about medical stuff, I dropped into conversation I had read how the use of blood fractions was acceptable to witnesses to have,I then went on to say that is all well and good but witnesses have died for their beliefs on blood and they keep changing their minds on what is right or not and if we had upheld them, our eldest would be dead now. She asked if it was a recent thing as she didn't know anything about fractions and then said that she hadn't been to the hall since before Xmas.

Knowing my Dad had been quite poorly, I asked if it was because of that and she said she had been having a lot of doubts, the congregation lacked love and she wasn't sure if it was for her anymore and really goes just because my Dad does .No one had called from there cong to see where they were despite it being over 8 weeks of them not being there and when my Dad went back, they didn't even ask if all was well, just treated him as if he hadn't been away, not missing them in the first place.

After packing my shopping I asked her why she was a witness and she answered by saying she didn't know, we then went on to discuss the blood and why I left, they knew nothing about how badly we were treated, we weren't even talked about anymore as if we had never been there, neither did they know I had been councilled for having the fraction anti D in my 3 rd pregnancy which if I hadn't would have led to complications with me and my baby.

She was a bit gob smacked and also a bit upset thinking she and my Dad had done badly by us but I reassured her that wasn't the case and we had a lovely chat about talking more and not to feel we should keep everything inside. I felt closer to my mum than I have felt in a long while.

I mentioned other things I had learnt about the governing body being the faithful and discreet slave( she was dumbfounded) and I could see a light go on in her head. All this I said was on their website which she admitted she had never looked at.

She then went on to tell me that my Dad and my Uncle( who is an elder) had been having a few chats lately and he wasn't happy with some of the new lights he had been hearing at the meeting, one of them being the faithful and discreet slave stuff.

I mentioned JW Facts to her and again asked her why she was a witness and told her to really think about it, even if she goes back just because my dad does , I know she'll start questioning things.

To top it all this week, my nephew tonight has just rang me to say he told my mum he was having doubts about his faith and that he had spent years sitting on the fence not knowing if he believed or not but was still going because he had pull of g/friend/mates/grandparents etc and she told him to talk to me and I would point him in the right direction to look for answers. No "grandad and I will help with any questions you may have", just speak to me.

So I have had a very interesting conversation with him tonight too, watch this space.......

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's amazing the stuff some of us realize about the other person when talking openly for the first time about the "truth" with a loved one.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

More from the 61 Awake: (thanks BlackSheep )

"What day was .Jesus speaking of? The

beginning of World. War m? No, Zephaniah 2:3 identifies it as "the day of Jehovah's anger." Revelation 16:16 calls it the

"war of the great day of God the Almighty," Armageddon. This war will come

in the twentieth century. It will come right

on schedule, as have the wars, food shortages, earthquakes and other events' foretold. This generation will see its fulfillment."

Wow, just Motherfreaking WOW...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit