Reaching Loved Ones Stuck in a Cult: Reciprocal Letter Writing

by 00DAD 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

krejames, Yes, reconnecting and confirming love is what it's all about. Thanks for volunteering. I may tap you soon! If I don't probably someone else will.

LV101, I'm glad you like my idea, but I'm not sure you understand how I see it working, its purpose or implementation. As I've said above, I wouldn't send anything that could be interpreted as critical of JWs. That would just drive away those still-in. I'm trying to build rapport, not de-convert them, at least not yet. Also, I wouldn't inundate them. Just ask a fellow JWN member here to send a note this month, and then mayber a different JWN member next month. It's all about reconnecting, maintaining contact and confirming unconditional love.

ABibleStudent, your postcard suggestion is a great one. I've done that several times. It's part of my overall plan. The only trouble with a postcard is that they know right away who it's from and if they're not in a receptive mood they can trash it before they read a single word. Even that can have some positive affect. They know that we're thinking about them, we're having a life and we want them to be part of it.

The advantage of the idea in my OP is that our loved one(s) would get a letter from an unknown sender and might actually open it and read the message before shutting down. I really think they would. Who wouldn't be curious enough to open a letter from some far-away place and an unknown sender. It might not work so well after the first couple of times if they're determined to stubbornly shun us. But it could also reach them when nothing else is working. I think it's worth a try. There is little to lose and much to gain.

Fernando, great idea. I'm up for trying whatever works. Thanks for sharing!

besty, ummm, ... did you post on the wrong thread?!?

irondork, I'm not so sure this in-your-face approach is the best idea. Please see my comments above to LV101, Blondie, Roberta804, Tater-T and ABibleStudent. That being said, if this is what you want, I'll send it for you. PM me the details, including what, if anything else, you want to say.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Keep those cards and letters coming boys and girls!

00DAD

• flipper
    flipper

00DAD- I think this is a GREAT idea ! Sorry I missed this thread but I've been really busy moving my son and his girlfriend off their property and getting them set up . Beautiful idea 00DAD. I'll give you a ring soon

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Flipper, I knew you'd like it!

I think this thing could really help as part of an overall strategy to reach our loved ones.

Steven Hassan frequently talks about the importance of reaching out in loving, non-critical of the cult ways that build trust and rapport. I really like his idea to, " Empower their Pre-cult (Authentic) self while simultaneously disempowering the Cult-Identity. "

Of course it's so hard or even impossible if we're being shunned. That's why I'm trying to find creative ways to sidestep this obstacle to connecting.

00DAD

• PrincessPeachz
    PrincessPeachz

Hey 00DAD

I'm in Sydney, Australia... I would be very happy to send letters/postcards from here to people's families - just PM me.

Peachz

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I've been thinking about trying this approach in relation to the situation with my own kids still "stuck in the cult." It's time.

Who would be willing to help?

No preaching, no trying to prove the religion wrong, just, "Hey, I'm a friend of your dad. He loves you and misses you." or words to that effect.

Any takers?

Oubliette

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I'd do it dude.

Would it matter if there was no return address on the letter?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Im in.

TE

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am in Texas and am willing to do this for anyone who asks. I have been on the board and done gift exchanges in the past. I will help whoever asks. Just PM me.

M.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's time. Thanks to all who offered to help!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The seeds have been planted. Now it's time to wait and see what, if anything, comes of it.

Thanks again to those who wrote letters on my behalf!

I'll keep y'all posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit