Reaching Loved Ones Stuck in a Cult: Reciprocal Letter Writing

by 00DAD 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi 00DAD, Depending on your relative's level of "Spiritual Strength" (thinking to non-thinking) this might work with spiritually weak JWs, but then wouldn't spiritually weak JWs not block your phone number, or change their phone numbers and/or email address? I feel that this idea might be a one time long-shot at best, so how do you maximize its potential? Would including a person's Facebook page in the letter help to open one-way communication with a JW loved one?

What if a person, who is DF'ed/DA'ed, establishes a Facebook page with lots of pictures of his/her family and friends and his/her story of their life both in the JWs and after being DF'ed/DA'ed without stating anything negative about WTBTS's doctrines? If JWs visit a loved ones Facebook page, would they read what a person likes like websites like www.jwfacts.com, videos like Steve Hassan's videos that are on youtube, and books like Crisis of Conscience?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• mind blown
    mind blown

when I started noticing my daughter cutting me off, I waited months to see how long it was going to continue. I had already said what I needed to say regarding the TTATT, and of course they once again roped her in. So I later sent an email and said she should at least let me know once in a while if she's alive a well so I don't worry. Ever since, she's been checking in, very short emails, but it's something of course leaving all apostate info out.

• krejames
    krejames

I would be happy to send a letter on behalf of someone (I'm in the UK). I agree with Phizzy that it's best not to add anything about religious stuff - I do think it would work best if it was just to reconnect and confirm love. as already stated anything that could be interpreted as apostate talk would just play into the WT hands as they would see it as evidence of how cunning these evil "apostates" are.

• LV101
    LV101

00Dad -- like your idea. Also would love to see Roberta's idea implemented re/sending out apostate or current news --- like that new info on documentary, blood hype -- there's so much but we could have a special topic of the month. Not that they'd read much after a line or two but maybe that line about the eye buys more than the ear hears or something. Inundating cult members w/literature would be labor intensive/postage expensive (we could donate like in a nonprofit) but if seeds were planted why not.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Ended up having dreams about the letter i want to send to my sister...Now Blondie has me rethinking...

Tricking two people to talk over the phone isn't really the same as sending a letter on somebody else's behalf.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Why not send postcards to JW loved ones while you are on vacation?

Right now, a nice warm tropical picture on the front of a postcard with love you, wish you were here, and hope you like the pictures that I posted on my Facebook page on the back would not be a trick.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Fernando
    Fernando

I think it is a great idea OODAD!

"Touchnote" is a smartphone postcard app (application program) that could also help if you can't find someone to partner with.

It seems they will send a postcard (with text and picture) to anyone almost anywhere in the world for $1.50 (hopefully also anonymously).

Apparently you even get a free test which you could mail to yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUlOivcZwcE

• besty
    besty
    FaceBook rules the world whilst MySpace languishes as a footnote. A big part of that is real identity, and the trust that comes with it. MySpacers had usernames, FaceBookers have real names. Barb Anderson, Randy Watters, Ray Franz, Paul Grundy & Simon Green are real names the WTS knows very well. The anonymous peanut gallery on JWN are entitled to their opinion, but ultimately it weighs less. Take your pick.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/208403/4/AndersonsInfo

There will always be anonymous keyboard jockeys demanding standards of proof beyond that which they are willing to reveal about themselves.

Ignore them Steven, Barbara etc.

Nobody builds statues for peanut tossers :-)

• irondork
    irondork

Tater-T, I like this.

I'd be happy to swap this favor with anyone. Would anyone be willing to print this out and send it to my mother in Maryland, USA?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Wow, so many great comments since I last checked in! Thanks everyone.

Although generally most of you think it's a good idea, I can see why a few don't. A lot depends on our personal experience as well as our intentions in reaching others. Also, the reasons we left/were expelled will possibly make a big difference on how this might be received by our loved ones still in. They might not even know the real reason we're out. Usually, those that stay-in only hear one side of the story when anyone would leaves and it's more often than not a very biased version distorted through the lens of JW-thinking.

Many of you looked at this as a way to send material to your relatives that might help them see TTATT. That was not my intention. From everything I've read and confirmed by my personal experience this does not work. It usually has the opposite effect and only drives them further away.

Phizzy, Agreed. Anyone forwarding a message would need to do just that: send the message the sender wanted with no editing or additional commentary. I may take you up on your offer. Right now I'm working a particular tactic to reach some family members. Depending on how that does or doesn't work I may instititute this idea. That's why I'm discussing it now, to work out the kinks, get some feedback and have it ready to roll out if and when I need it. Thanks, mate!

Hermano, Thanks for the endorsement!

Blondie, In your situation I completely understand why your father's attempt to contact you was unwelcome. That is not the situation in my case. My reasons for being estranged are different. Also, my letter forwarding idea is not exactly the same as having someone else call and then jumping on the line.

You're right, Steven Hassan does recommend patience, but he most definitely does NOT advocate doing nothing. He recommends trying a variety of ways to communicate unconditional love with the goal of maintaining/rebuilding a relationship with the goal of reaching a person's authentic self. To that end, he emphatically advises the importance of not discussing doctrine and beliefs, at least not directly. It's all about establishing and building rapport.

Roberta804, you might be right, but that wouldn't be my goal.

Tater-T, I think you and Roberta804 are on the same page.

perfect1, does this mean I can count you in? Where are you located? (PM me if you don't want to post that publicly.)

BlindersOff1, Thanks, that's the spirit! Where are you located? (PM me if you don't want to post that publicly.)

DOC, understood. That's why for now it would just be about maintaining contact--any contact is better than none--and reaffirming love.

Wonka, Thanks, that's the spirit! Where are you located? (PM me if you don't want to post that publicly.)

Londo, for someone that hasn't had enough coffee, you certainly hit the nail on the head! You're absolutely right, this is what it is all about, reaching loved ones! Can I count you in?

ABibleStudent, good comments. Your Facebook strategy has a couple of problems: first of all, JWs are NOT supposed to be on social media (I know many are). Also, as I've commented above, trying to get info to them about TTATT usually backfires. You can't really wake someone up that isn't ready. I'm not interested in that for now. I just want to keep sending the message that I love and care for my family members. That way, if and when they wake up they'll know I was always here for them.

mind blown, I'm glad you're able to maintain email contact with your daughter. You're smart to leave out any "apostate" info. I hope you can continue. Do you know that in the January 1st WT there is a study article that forbids e-mail contact with DF's relatives? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's important we know what we're dealing with.

Do not look for excuses to associate with a disfellowshipped family member, for example, through e-mail. - w2013 1/15, p. 16, para. 19

They'll be "studying" this the week of March 4 - 10th. The paranoid leaders of this cult just keep tightening their grip on the flock. Their obsessive need for control is very disturbing. It's insane!

... more responses to follow ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit