Reaching Loved Ones Stuck in a Cult: Reciprocal Letter Writing

by 00DAD 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I've been toying with an idea that I think just might have some legs. So here I am trotting it out for all of you to consider and comment upon.

For many of us, we are extremely frustrated by the fact that we have no way to communicate with our loved ones still stuck in the organization. Maybe it's our parents, maybe it's our children. It could be our sisters, brothers, cousins or maybe just someone we really care about. It doesn't matter. We love them and want to let them know, but we can't.

We would love to just let them know from time to time that we are thinking about them, that we miss them and that we love them. But we can't. We are locked out. The WTBTS has effectively sealed all the cracks, or so they'd like us to think.

We are shunned. Maybe we are DF'd, DA'd or just inactive and or loved ones shun us. Whatever the reason, it really doesn't matter; the effect is the same. Perhaps they really believe they are being obedient to God. But let's not go down that road right now. This is not the time or place to argue doctrine. This is not about beliefs, this is about love.

What ever the reason, they shun us.

Our loved ones have blocked our phone numbers so we can't call or text. They won't respond to emails and maybe have even changed their email address. If we send a card or a letter we have no way of knowing if they read it or throw it away unopened. Maybe they've even sent mail back to us, "Return to Sender." We are completely thwarted in any and all attempts to reach out to them. That is as long as we play by their rules, that is to say the WTBTS rules.

But I am not a victim. Doing nothing is not in me.

And so, I had this idea. Maybe we could use the power of JWN to help each other out. I'm here on the West Coast of the US of A. Since I've been on JWN, I've made many friends all over the world. So what if one of you in Australia or Canada or England or Eastern Europe or the East Coast of the United States, or Georgia or Colorado or Alabama or the Carolinas or Whereever were to simply send a letter to one of my kids saying something like:

I'm a friend of your father/mother/sister/brother/son/daughter. They asked me to forward this message to you: They love you and miss you. They wish you would get in touch, just to talk, to reconnect. They just wanted you to know.

And I would of course do the same for you. Maybe they'd get a similar, but different letter from a different person in a different place every month. You get the idea.

The letter wouldn't even have to have a real return address if anyone was uncomfortable about that. The postmark would be enough. But just imagine: your loved one comes home one day and finds a letter addressed to them. It's from some distant, faraway place. Intrigued, they open it. Who could resist? Inside they find a message, a message from you. A message of love.

This could be powerful, very powerful. All for the price of a stamp.

Who's in?

00DAD

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

to tired to read. I will in the morning.. thinking of sending my sister, Oct letter to BOE ... I downloaded when it was available

• hoser
    hoser

you have a pm

• Londo111
    Londo111

Marked for rereading tommorow. Seems like a good idea.

• clarity
    clarity

00Dad...

It is a bit late here too but..... how would we go about it?

>

If I wanted you to send my 'family' a letter, would I PM

their address & message for them..to you?

Then I guess you could send "mission accomplished" to my PM.

Lets talk again tomorrow OK?

clarity

• 00DAD
    00DAD

hoser, I got your PM and replied.

Londo, can't wait for your comments!

clarity, Yes. Something like that. Obviously we'd only do this with other JWN members that were: 1) willing to do it, and 2) that we are comfortable giving our family member's name and address. As I mentioned, in the year and a half I've been on JWN there are several members that I've connected with and that I would be completely comfortable exchanging this kind of information for this purpose.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some have already done something along these lines, but I've not seen a thread discussing it.

00DAD

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think it is a great idea, I think the originator of the message, such as yourself , would need to insist that we who send letters add nothing to the words requested. The temptation to add what may be seen as "Apostate" stuff could spoil the whole thing.

I am happy to send a letter for you, you have my e-mail.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Great idea. Simple, doesn't require a lot of time and effort, or a whole lot of coordinating. Sounds like a winner to me.

• blondie
    blondie

00DAD, I cut off my pedophile father 12 years ago. No contact until his "friends" non-jws called me and caller-ID said it was safe, they stayed on the phone just long enough to identify themselves and then I heard my father's voice. I was livid and hung up and blocked their number.

I would think that they would be livid too getting contacted through a third party when it seems very clear they don't want contact.

Nothing stays the same with jws. It took 8 years from my first aha moment with the WTS to leave. I did a great deal of personal research and the computer made it quicker. The door to questioning doctrine was opened by the singular lack of love in every congregation I have attended, no matter the location. If it had been pointed out to me by a jw, I would have put it out of my mind. Because I saw it myself, coupled with my own research, I finally left.

I think it is better to back off and given them time not to jump to defend and then block off contact.

What does Steven Hassan recommend? It takes patience.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Ok I know I am a devil,

How about using the same system to send apostate information without any reference as to who is from except for the post mark? Now that would be fun! As you may guess I am beyond trying to reach those who shun me. I think it would be rather spooky to get a bunch of letters from all over the world. You know how paranoid they all are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit