Since You Were In A Cult Do You Consider Yourself Still Dysfunctional?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused
    dys·func·tion·al

/dis'f?NGkSH?nl/ Adjective

1. Not operating normally or properly.
    2. Deviating from the norms of social behavior in a way regarded as bad.

No. Quite the opposite. I felt out of place and didn’t know it as a JW. I always felt bad for the things I did, felt and thought. Now I realize how dysfunctional I was because of the org. Now I know I was a normal human with normal thoughts and feelings and the organization made me out to feel like a monster. Fuck their dysfunctionality. I hate their unbelievable negativity toward the rest of the world and it’s inhabitants. The JW's are a blackhole of dysfunctonality.... if thats even a word...

Now I feel normal, a normal contributing member of society.

• clarity
    clarity

Well I guess it is two steps forward and one back,

for the most part.

>

Just when I think things are getting stable ... I'm wrong!

>

But overall, I feel tremendous growth & congruence within myself.

>

It is so much easier to walk with our EYES opened, isn't it?

So the answer is ...hell yes!

>

>

Tik........"No friends, no family, living alone. Suicidal thinking. And I left in 1995."

>

AAwwwww I am sincerely sorry .... been there too

>

Haven't seen your story posted on here yet ..how about it,

>

Maybe we could help you more. Plse take care of yourself,

you are not alone

clarity

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks for your thoughts. I do not feel dysfunctional at this point. But I do believe that anyone that ever was in a cult was at one time or another messed up.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Yes but I'm still awesome. So are all of you screwy "apostates" too!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

No, I function just fine. never been more functional as a human being than now.

Oz

• Pickler
    Pickler

Yes I'm dysfunctional, but it's pretty well hidden - most people would never tell from my outside appearance how deeply messed up I am. I always felt like a naturally worldly person stuck in the religion. Now I'm out, I know I'm different from most non JWs.

Its Hard to trust people, make friends, or keep friends. I let people go, don't know how to handle any kind of conflict. Worry about things a lot.

I'm in the middle of making a huge mess of my own life at the moment, but, I know I'm a good parent, so that's something.

im sorry Tik, message me if you want a friend to chat or whine to!

• d
    d

I am still akward myself in terms of handling conflict and social skills.I stil feel paranoid at times as well.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It took a good therapist to sort me out, that's what decades in a high-control, mind-control cult does.

I still am honing some skills never learned by JW's, like common sense reasoning. (Critical Thinking skills)

I no longer feel that the JW life has any hold over me or affects my attitudes and feelings. I am fast qualifying as an XXJW.

Off topic, it is snowing here in Kent, U.K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit