The problems with fighting the WTS

by return of parakeet 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

R.O.P.

This is a good thread , its apity the title doesn`t do it justice , I fear it will fall under the radar.You are spot on with what you say as are the comments following your op. I suggest you re-title it.

The effectiveness / success of the JW preaching work is blown way out of proportion to the reality, by the organization. If any one of you did a survey of the street where you live ,and ask your neighbours what is the core beleifs of JW`s ,all they would say is, no christmas, no blood transfusions and maybe no voting ,and that is the end result of 130 years going from house to house distributing millions of magazines , tracts , and books and of course the untold millions of hours spent in this fruitless exercise .

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The only area of attack that will resonate with the Public is the Abuse scandal of the WT.

Nobody likes to think that there is a good chance the person knocking on your door is a paedophile.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Issues that rock:

1)Door to door pedophiles

2) Let kids and old folks die from twisted flip-flop blood transfusiuon ban,50,000 to 100,000 dead 50 X more than Jonestown kool-aid

3) $200 billion in mostly tax real estate assets and NO TAXES

--

I am on it all

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I think no.4 is a big one. This is the glue that holds the org together. They try and pretend it is love but really it is the shunning and ostracizing of ex members and anyone who disagrees.

I would say the majority that leave stay quiet and keep their opinions to themselves to try and avoid this harsh treatment from loved ones. How many do we see here that still go along or try and get a 'clean fade' for this reason?

No.4 is the WTS trump card and they know it.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Very valid points.

Still scores of individual dissidents have had a significant and cumulative impact.

Ray Franz, Steven Unthank, Candace Conti to name just a few.

Millions now know to avoid the Watchtower, even if they cannot fully explain why.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

not only is the watchtower under the radar, at best it's an insignifcant blip. . thats why the persecution will never come, it would only bring notority and maybe some sympathy. I think most people that fade, find this website to vent and get their frustrations out for while and then persue a normal life after that. if your new life consists of being obsessed with the watchtower, how much better is it then when you were a member? [right now it's my offseason so i have plenty of time to screw around on the internet] if most of them are contented with going through the motions, spending their saturday morning wasting gas and slowly walking up and down the street let them be.

• cantleave
    cantleave

No one person or issue will bring this cult down. It will be a gradual erosion by ALL who tell their story, expose the duplicity and uncover the scandals.

• blondie
    blondie

Active groups dealing with child sexual abuse in religious settings: www.snapnetwork.org

Active groups dealing with religious controls in secular life: http://ffrf.org/

It is not necessary to find these issues from an ex-jw viewpoint...many issues spill over into many non-jw lives.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Smiddy: "This is a good thread , its apity the title doesn`t do it justice ...."

I started typing the title and got sidetracked by writing the thread. Posted it before getting back to the title. Edited now. Thanks.

Fernando: " Still scores of individual dissidents have had a significant and cumulative impact. "

I don't mean to diminish the brilliant work of individual dissidents in bringing light and reason to their dub friends and family. My point is that mounting a large-scale effort to expose the WTS has many factors working against it.

Blondie: " It is not necessary to find these issues from an ex-jw viewpoint...many issues spill over into many non-jw lives. "

Again, the work these organizations do is exemplary. But the JW scandals are not on top of their list -- The Catholic clergy, Muslim and FDS fundamentalist cults, which, by virtue of their size or their violence, get the lion's share of attention.

By a major expose, I'm talking about a 60-Minutes segment, or an hour-long documentary devoted specifically to the WTS and JWs. Something big.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    By a major expose, I'm talking about a 60-Minutes segment, or an hour-long documentary devoted specifically to the WTS and JWs. Something big.

I just want to make sure you're aware that this did happen in 2002 in regards to the Watchtower/pedophilia cover-up scandal. Dateline NBC devoted an entire episode called "Witness For the Prosecution" to it. Shortly after, similar exposure was given by the BBC in the UK and by Channel 9 in Australia.

The text of the Dateline segment was posted on the Silentlambs website - hopefully it is still there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit