Will you attend the Memorial this year? Why? Why not?

by Open mind 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Of course not. I left in 1979, so do I want to waste my time on that nonsense at this point? I don't know any JW's here, and I wouldn't want any of them to recognize me when I venture out, but I have to admit it would be fun to recognize one of them at a slot machine or table game gambling.

BTW, OM, your status seems to have changed significantly since I last posted here several years ago. Your family is out now? Did you guys read Watership Down, a book I recommended to you back then. How did you like it?

Regards,

SandraC

• Open mind
    Open mind

I will be there to as OTWO put it, to tell "the JW's in your life that there is still hope that you will come back".

I started this thread because a few days ago, I asked my wife about it and her immediate response was "NO"!

We both attended last year. I don't think she had fully thought it through when I asked her.

Here's how I see it. There are only two things in JW World that are bigger bird flips than not attending the Memorial:

1. Getting DFed on purpose, having no "repentance" and no plans on getting back in.

2. Doing #1 plus sending in a DA letter.

The longer I'm out of the JWs, the more I care about excessive lying. If I go to the Memorial, I can honestly say that I attended. If I don't attend, and am subsequently asked "How was your Memorial?" I will have to explain why I didn't go. Short of extreme medical problems, it's a bird flip, IMO.

As long as my parents are alive, I think I'll be a once a year KH attender.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

Hey there SandraC. I'll answer quickly today re: Watership Down. ( I did answer your inquiry the other day but it's long since sunk below the choppy surface of JWN. )

No, we never got round to reading it, but it was on my list. I've just put a "hold" on it from the library so will let you know after I've finished.

Best,

om

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I have my own memorial every Friday night. Except the wine turns into Tequila and Beer.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yes cos as far as they are concerned I am still approved. In fact I have been asked to help serve.

It's a right pain having to tread so carefully and slowly so as not to suddenly escalate matters to a point where I lose all my friends and family.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Well, at least it keeps you busy Konceptual. Lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

Submarine here. I will go for the sparkle in hubby's eye. I will find something mundane to comment on.

• goodsoul
    goodsoul

We will celebrate our first absence on memorial. I was invited to give memorial talk at the other congregation where are a lot of bethelites. It should be my third memorial talk. Already reject invitation. First I thought to give talk and to say, that there are no two type of hope. It would be funny to see their eyes.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

the memorial is the one meeting i wouldn't attend.

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

This will be my second memorial without attending. If I attend, I would be giving them to understand that I agree with what the WT teaches about who are those that must partake. I will celebrate it in my home with my wife and daughter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit