Should you pay the Obamacare penalty or buy health insurance in 2014?

by moshe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

Wha Happened..

You have to be a licensed physician to handle primary care. That means obscene amount of education by AMA certified institutions. 12 years schooling and residency requirements means you think you deserve at least 200,000 income.

Currently all the idiots are certified physicians and they cost a lot of money. And I mean IDIOTS. An auto repair technician is better qualified. At least he jumps in with diagnostic equipment and does some tests.

The AMA seems to be a union people are willing to put up with.

• moshe
    moshe

As far as I know-- unpaid Obamacare penalties to the IRS won't be subject to any enforcement actions- they just stay on the books until paid-

Smokers can be charged a large surcharge- 50% I believe-- and all the companies will charge the maximum- otherwise they will end up with all the smokers, if they charge a lower surcharge than everyone else-

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I bet the WTBTS will step up and pay for me and my family when times get tough. Oh wait, they won't even help out pioneers.

I do agree that the sytem needs work. It is not right to purposely place a burden on others. It's also not right for policy makers to take advantage of tax payers... It's a tough call. I like the sound of plan B at this point. Why should I waste money that I may never use? I can pay $300.00 the first year and weigh my options. If something bad happens then I can buy insurance when I really need it.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

so moshe, let me get this straight? Obamacare fu***ed the middle class????

• moshe
    moshe

D-dog, I'll bet the hospital admitting office will direct you to the nearest insurance office so you can buy a policy before they admit you for -

There is the risk of accidents, but I am pretty sure you can buy a separate policy that covers accidents only-- they have that coverage available for car insurance-

• moshe
    moshe

Afraid so, DaCheech- if you make enough to afford a mortgage and a car loan for a nice car- then that calculator will show you get a Zero $$ subsidy from the government for your $8000/yr individual insurance policy. - ( if you smoke, add on a 50% surcharge)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"In 2014 , due to her over $50k income( subsidies are for the poor-low income) she will only be able to afford the crapola bronze insurance policy- it will cost more than her policy now and have worse coverage- like a $2000 or so deductible- so after breaking her budget to pay the premiums she will be too broke to even use the insurance and pay the copays for general illnesses and medicine."

Could you tell us the specifics of what you are talking about? What does she pay now, and for what, and what will she pay then? Also her age, if you don't mind?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

If she is on COBRA - then the act apparently doesn't change that.

If she is due to go off of COBRA and if she is working for a large employer, then things remain the same.

If she is out of a job then she qualifies for subsidies or no payment at all.

As for 'childish nonsense'...it's not name calling. It becomes just that when the system has been ravaged for years, by the hype, the lies, the manipulation, the fear and the lack of logic in so many aspects of it all and still - people continue to ask 'why'?. They were asking 'why' when they were pointing to all the undesirables using the ER system and driving up the costs. They blamed the obese. The smokers. The drunks. The illiegals. The homeless. Some were saying 'well my goodness, look at all those who can afford insurance but refuse to get it'...they didn't want anyone to get care on the taxpayer dime. This new process is a step in getting that care and removing some of that finger pointing and still its 'not fair'......so yes, it does become trite and childish to continue to go on about a system that is going into effect, that has been through the courts and that still has people asking 'why'...

Your sister in law nor you, may apply to any of those categories but a heck of a lot of people asking the questions you ask are in that group. They are quick to point out life isn't 'fair' for people who got lost in the shuffle before and just as quick to say it's not 'fair' when the new law affects them.

sammieswife

Q3: Did the health care reform legislation eliminate COBRA?

No. The new health care reform legislation, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) as amended by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, did not eliminate COBRA or change the COBRA rules. See An Employee's Guide to Health Benefits Under COBRA-The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act for more information about COBRA.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I will just do what I have to do I guess.... I really don't understand it all. I don't want to be dishonest or make others pay my way. Maybe I will luck out and die. Then my family will have plenty of money and I will not have to worry about it..

• sabastious
    sabastious
    My opinion is that Obamacare will crash

It's designed to crash and kill a lot of people in the process. The Federal Reserve will be celbrating it's 100th birthday with an economic bang. I just hope that we can disarm the bomb before it's too late.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit