Should you pay the Obamacare penalty or buy health insurance in 2014?

by moshe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

What do you think? I am already reading that some plan to drop their medical insurance coverage on January 1st and just pay the penalty-

penalties-

An individual with $30,000 annual income would pay a $300 penalty in 2014, $600 in 2015 and $750 in 2016.

An individual with $50,000 annual income would pay a $500 penalty in 2014, $1,000 in 2015 and $1,250 in 2016.

An individual earning $100,000 a year would pay a $1,000 penalty in 2014, $2,000 in 2015 and $2,500 in 2016.

Here is your insurance subsidy calculator-

http://healthreform.kff.org/Subsidycalculator.aspx#incomeAgeTables

Tell us how you fare--

My opinion is that Obamacare will crash- the middle class and up people will drop their insurance policies and pay the penalty-

• moshe
    moshe

Does anyone know the reason why you should consider going uninsured?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Oh I don't know - here we go again with all this childish nonsense.

Bottom line is this. It's not going backward. I say if someone wants to drop their insurance and pay the penalty - go ahead. What do I care? If you could actually get 50% of everyone doing that, it would bankrupt all the insurance companies and then the government would be able to put in mandatory universal healthcare paid for by a 'payroll fee'. It's a great plan! Spread the word! For people who act like it's the end of the world and who claim to hate a sysem they've never used - I say go ahead! Play right into the hand the rest of the country wants you to play...collapse the insurance industry.

Now, if the insurance companies got really mad, guess what? They just have to take all their power back to the government they pay for, and ask that a new law be put in place. One that makes all medical costs as a result of negligence in obtaining health insurance, illegal and not subject to common bankruptcy laws. That means that if you get sick or your kids get sick and you have 'choosen' not to get health insurance, you don't get to write off the cost of that emergency service in bankruptcy. Kind of like those student loans that people are paying off for 40 years - there is no escape.

Of course - there is already a law proposed and waiting in the wings that this will really help push along. That little 'passport' law - the one that says that if you own the IRS, guess what? You don't get a passport. Want to travel for work? Out of luck.Want to take the family to Mexico to the beach? Not going to happen. Want to ski in Canada? Nope. Ain't getting out of the old USA - now taking that a step further, there were also rumors a while back about State ID linked to national ID - noplace to hide if you wander between States and you owe the IRS...

So to all those people I say - go ahead.

It's great fun to watch all this action - sammieswife

• moshe
    moshe

Well, I will tell you the reason--

My sister in law has paid out over $20,000 in Cobra and insurance premiums in the last 4 years- she will be 55 next year. Her biggest fear is getting sick and ending up in the hospital - thanks to insurance she can get those bills paid and she won't end up bankrupt-

In 2014 , due to her over $50k income( subsidies are for the poor-low income) she will only be able to afford the crapola bronze insurance policy- it will cost more than her policy now and have worse coverage- like a $2000 or so deductible- so after breaking her budget to pay the premiums she will be too broke to even use the insurance and pay the copays for general illnesses and medicine.

option #2- go uninsured-

That's right, no insurance. She saves that $7000 in premimums and can use that money to pay for regular illnesses and prescriptions and still has money left over after she pays the penalty. Just suppose her mamogram comes back -cancer- what to do know?

No problemo, she goes to the insurance office that afternoon and purchases a silver or platinum policy ( she can't be turned down for pre existing conditions)-

Now she has coverage to pay for her cancer treatments.

The government hopes you don't learn about plan B-

• tiki
    tiki

everyone should have health insurance. granted the corporate giants are ripping us off and the system is warped - but you need it. the whole system needs total revision and everyone should have access to equal coverage. the increases in premiums employers pay for their personnel are exorbitant and escalate annually - the part that the personnel personally pays for escalates as well. the less the employer can budget, the higher the portion staff will have to pay - but their salaries will not necessarily increase annually to mirror the upward trend of coverage. it is a bad situation and corporate greed is a definitive factor that is virtually impossible to eliminate. total overhaul is required, and like it or not, socialized medicine is most likely the fairest alternative.

• moshe
    moshe
    here we go again with all this childish nonsense-

name callers go away-

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

You won't pay a penalty if:
    • you are covered by your employer
    • you are covered by the government
      (Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE or the VA)
    • you already have purchased coverage that meets the requirements for a Bronze plan under the ACA
    • your income is low enough that your share of premiums (after federal subsidies and employer contributions) would total more than 8 percent of your income
    • your income is below the income tax filing threshold
    • you were uninsured for less than three months of the year (If over three, penalty is pro-rated)
    • you qualify for a religious exclusion
    • you are a member of a Native American tribe
    • you are an undocumented immigrant
    • you are in prison
    Frequently Asked Questions about the
    Individual Mandate and the Tax

Q. Why should I buy insurance? In this country, if you’re really sick, hospitals have to take care of you, don’t they?

A. No. If you go to the ER they have to “stabilize you”-- that’s all. If an uninsured cancer patient arrives in great pain, she may be admitted, and hospitalized until she either dies, or is well enough to walk out the door. (This is the definition of “stabilized.”) But unless she can pay for further treatment (or can qualify for Medicaid), she won’t be offered the surgery that might save her life. Most surgeons don’t take IOU’s.

Q. If I decide to gamble and go without insurance, isn’t that my business?

A. No, because if you wind up being the uninsured cancer patient who arrives at the ER and is hospitalized, the rest of us pay the bills for your hospital stay. Hospitals pass on the cost of “uncompensated care.”

Q. If I pay the tax, does that buy me an insurance policy?

A. No. You’re not buying insurance; you’re paying a tax that helps keep the health care system afloat. As Princeton economist Uwe Reinhardt explains: “The penalty approximates the cost” that individuals who choose not to purchase insurance “might impose as a group, on hospitals” when they “are treated and released with unpaid bills.”

Q. How does the government collect the tax?

A. If you don’t buy insurance in 2014, you are expected pay the tax when you file your income taxes in April of 2015.

Q. What happens if I don’t?

A. You will receive a notice from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) stating that you owe the penalty. The IRS can collect the money by reducing the amount of any tax refund that you are owed in the future. But the law says that you will not be subject to criminal prosecution and the government cannot file a notice of lien or file a levy on your property.

Q. If I don’t buy insurance in 2014, but decide to buy it at a later point, can I?

A. Yes, the law is not designed to bar anyone from the system. It just asks that we all contribute to the insurance pool, according to our ability to pay, because eventually, virtually everyone needs medical care.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I was for single payer national health care. I am now on medicare.

My wife can't get medicare for several more years. I won't get the insurance and can't afford the penalty.

I will just let the money I owe pile up and increase with penalties and interest. There will be enough people in that category that they will probably negotiate an offer in compromise of 10 or 15 cents on a dollar.

Basically, obama-romney-herritage foundation style health care will fail.

It will be such a mess that they will have to go to single payer national health insurance like most of the advanced economies in the world.

The rich will still be able to suplement their health care out of pocket.

I also see a brisk travel business invovling out of country surgeries.

I think Obama care was designed to fail. Poor and low income people still won't get decent care. Once it fails we'll have to start from scratch and get it right.

Any idiot with an expert program and two years technical training could handle all the primary care for 1/4 the cost.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Any idiot with an expert program and two years technical training could handle all the primary care for 1/4 the cost.

So why haven't the idiots stepped up?

• Mary
    Mary
    No problemo, she goes to the insurance office that afternoon and purchases a silver or platinum policy ( she can't be turned down for pre existing conditions)

Tell her to read the fine print. If you "can't be turned down for pre existing conditions", the premiums she'll pay will be astronomical, they'll be huge co-payments and any other number of ways they can think of to screw her (and anyone else who thinks they'll be able to do this) over.

Why doesn't everyone just agree to pay another 5% income tax and get everyone covered for at least the basics?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit