Tim Tebow to address Anti-Gay Anti-Semetic Mega Church

by designs 110 Replies latest social current

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Designs - The problem I have with your line of logic is you refuse to accept that your views are just as subjective as Tebow's and Dr. Jeffries. I can't believe you seriously do not see the irony. If the whole point of the SBC church was too bash gays, I would be more inclined to indulge your alarmism. There are many baptists that hold their own opinions on the issue.

And wasn't Obama was a memeber of a United Church of Chrsit congregation? Are you hanging the sins of Christedom on him as well? JFK was a CATHOLIC, Holy Moly! The Inquistion, The Iron Maiden, The Rack! How annoying is it when every time Obama speaks Glenn Beck starts yelling it's evidence he is a communist, baby squirell killer or whatever because he associated with Bill Ayers in the past? I guess it depends on the person and if it advances and agenda that you like, eh? That is complete intellectual dishonesty and the only people you will influence are the ones that already agree with you, which means you wasted your time.

It seems your beliefs and passion have blinded you to objectivity. Why don't you start a thread or use your time to convince me on an intellectual level that religion does more harm than good. Instead you are just really going poo-poo on a speech that hasn't even been spoken yet.

I don't get it and I think you a smarter than this.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Tammy,

For your consideration - the pastor of this church is spreading fear, loathing and misinformation by saying the 'gay population' is 70% infected with the AIDS virus.

Also Jeffries is meddling in politics by saying gays should not be allowed in the military. This is already settled law. Who is he to try to make laws for the rest of the country? The arrogance of some in major denominations, telling the American government that everyone should live by THEIR rules!!

I don't know what Tebow will preach there. However, First Baptist Church didn't bring in someone to preach a message varying from their own, they don't seem that tolerant!

Tebow may have not made a public pronouncement about his view of homosexual people and their place / rights in our society, but he certainly allies himself with groups that spread fear about them, including Focus on the Family (for whom he famously did a Super Bowl ad in the last year or so).

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

@Gopher- You said Tebow and FBC deserve eachother. That is my point, live and let live. That is what you and Designs want them to do, why can't others do the same?

Do yall realize that if we all knew every belief and the deep down thoughts of those we are closest too, we could probably find at least 10 things that disgusts us?

I think there are some people here that live in a very different world than I do.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Cagefighter - It's one thing to have personal beliefs with which I don't agree. Everyone has the right to their personal beliefs, and if I agreed with anyone 100% it'd worry me.

It's the projection of self-righteousness of certain evangelicals like Jeffries and Tebow, they who use it for self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement, that puts a major burr in my saddle.

Edited to add:

To me, many in the evangelical movement project the notion that anyone who disagrees with them is a lesser human or doesn't have God's approval. Most of the problems in humanity start when someone is viewed as less worthy than someone else.

• designs
    designs

This speech (unknown topic) at this specific Church with its head Pastor and the notority of Tim are an interesting mix. The NFL League has had a non-discrimination policy since 2005 and has a benefits package for domestic partners. The NFL Players Association still does not offer same sex partners benefits even though the League has asked to write such a policy. Paul Tagliabue has a son who came out a few year ago.

The President did sever ties with his Pastor over the public outcry (self-serving as he was seeking to be elected). JFK made a public statement about the Catholic influence.

Listen, we are a couple of centuries away from religion being a dusty shelf in a museum. I am for free speech, actually it is very important for our politicians and celebrities to express their views for we elect them and spend money on them. Fashion Designer John Galliano was on the hot-seat for his rants against Jews, people can now make a choice to buy or shun his clothing line.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Well it seems to me you two refuse to see that your beliefs our just as subjective as theirs. All due respect, but I think some people over value their own opinions. It seems that it really makes some people lose a lot of sleep that someone might hold an opinion that is "wrong" and has the guts to be open and honest about it. God forbid, they get together with some other people that feel the same way, hold hands, sing some silly songs, and pray to an imaginary friend.

One man sees a self-righteous jerk and another man sees a person that sticks to their beliefs and is honest. Would you prefer that they disagreed with homosexuality and said nothing or just whispered their beliefs in the safe ears? I don't think you can have it both ways.

I feel like an observer seeing two schitzophrenic people fighting. Both thinks the other one is the devil when they are really just another person with a separate delusion. That is what I think when I see the progressives go after the religious right in this hypocritical manner.

• tec
    tec

For your consideration - the pastor of this church is spreading fear, loathing and misinformation by saying the 'gay population' is 70% infected with the AIDS virus.
    Also Jeffries is meddling in politics by saying gays should not be allowed in the military. This is already settled law. Who is he to try to make laws for the rest of the country? The arrogance of some in major denominations, telling the American government that everyone should live by THEIR rules!!

Thanks, Gopher.

Such things should be spoken against. Best way would probably be with the actual facts and truths, rather than fear-mongering. Then, as always, it is the choice of each individual person what they will listen to, and what they will dismiss. Of course, in the case of faith on Christ and God... if they held their teachings up to the "light" (Christ in this case... and thank you to someone else for pointing this out)... then they would be better able to discern the difference between the truth... and the lies. Each person gets to choose who they listen to, themselves.

I don't know what Tebow will preach there. However, First Baptist Church didn't bring in someone to preach a message varying from their own, they don't seem that tolerant!

Probably not.

Tebow may have not made a public pronouncement about his view of homosexual people and their place / rights in our society, but he certainly allies himself with groups that spread fear about them, including Focus on the Family (for whom he famously did a Super Bowl ad in the last year or so).

Perhaps. I don't know enough about him to comment more. But if people kept their eyes on the one they claim to follow, then it really would not matter to them who came as an inspirational speaker.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

Cagefighter- This is an opinion of mine and drawn from observations made from the last elections when we all saw and heard the religious conservative far right make statements about women and gays, this being a country that their god would now abandon or punish for not believing in X. How long will this nonsense have to repeat itself to future generations.

'Christianity has held back science a 1000 years' Bill Murray

• tec
    tec

Cute... and I suppose Bill Murray is a more valid inspirational speaker?

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

Hey any guy willing to show up in bright plaid knickers to play golf in isn't to be messed with

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit