Tim Tebow to address Anti-Gay Anti-Semetic Mega Church

by designs 110 Replies latest social current

• still thinking
    still thinking

Pure atheism is a mere skepticism about the existence of any deity. It doesn't teach condemnation of those who don't agree with its ideas.

• tec
    tec
    I appreciate hearing your thoughts, Tammy.

Thank you. I have appreciated the same from you.

However I must kindly but firmly disagree with any assertion that atheism in and of itself leads to prejudice against unbelievers, if that's what you are saying.

It is not what I am saying. Not at all. That would be ME promoting prejudice against an entire group of people based on their shared non-belief in God.

This is why I tried to make a distinction to only those who promote that all people of faith are ignorant, or afraid, or cannot face reality, or are not enlightened, etc... AND... to the point where some think they should not hold certain jobs due to their faith, rather than their ability to do such jobs.

Pure atheism is a mere skepticism about the existence of any deity. It doesn't teach condemnation of those who don't agree with its ideas.

Agreed.

People teach contempt for those who don't agree with them. Atheism is merely a non-acceptance or skepticism about the existance of a deity (s).

Some individual atheists would take it to that extent, but that is a function of their personality. That is to say, they would be that way regardless of their philosophy or belief. (Just as I like to say, some JW's are nice people in spite of and not because of their religion.)

Those individuals are who I am speaking of. They do not make up the majority of atheists. I learned that on this forum. Those individuals would exist regardless of religion, politics, nationalism, atheism, class, race, etc.

I am unaware of atheist persecution of Christians in law enforcement, criminal investigation, teaching and medicine. If you wish to provide a source here (or if you wish you may send it to me in a PM so we can take this topic off-line), I'm interested in hearing it because I've never heard much about it before (other than the resistance to young-earth creationists who try to introduce the topic of the supernatural into science whereas science shouldn't deal with the question of the supernatural but only the natural).

I am also unaware of actual discrimination when it comes to jobs and such as well. But it is the opinion of some, even here, that such people should not hold those positions. Because of their faith. Not because of their abilities to perform their job.

As I said, the attitude comes first... then the act.

I have seen the attitude. I have not personally seen the act. In a thread that discusses actions following the teachings and talks and words of others who help build prejudice, I didn't think it was out of line to point out that attitude as well.

We can remain on this thread or go to pm. (unless Designs wants it taken elsewhere) Does not matter to me. You choose.

Peace,

tammy

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Atheists are in the minority at the moment, and atheists who are prejudiced against people of faith are an even further minority. A minority does not often affect policies... not unless/until they are in a position of power or authority.
    But as has been stated in this thread, prejudices are built upon teachings that LEAD to bias and prejudice.

LOL, Hey all you unbelievers! We are now the subject of a slippery slope!!

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    I am also unaware of actual discrimination when it comes to jobs and such as well. But it is the opinion of some, even here, that such people should not hold those positions. Because of their faith. Not because of their abilities to perform their job.

Not quite acurate. The ability to do their job without prejudice. That is the concern.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

@Stillthinking- you summed up my argument well. Yes, people have the right to be as ignorant, bigoted, and plain stupid as they want to be. A lot of people on the left like weilding the poo-poo cannon right now, but they don't realize that if they got their way all it takes is another election and someone would be shutting them down if the other party wins. For the record, I defended the left's right to speech during the previous age when the wind was blowing from the other direction and we were all holding hands, wrapped in the flag, singing God Bless America on the capital.

This is ridiculous and childish. Yall have to use more of your brains than this! Just remember every battle needs morons to jump in front of machine guns on the front lines and generals way back to give the orders. Where are you in the fight?

I haven't defened Tebow's speech first of all because it hasn't been given.

Second, I don't defend Dr. Jefferies only his right to speech, religion, and assembly. The second he crosses the line, lock him up.

Something really odd is going on with some of you. Do you really think you can control people's thoughts. Not everyone needs to be liked. Some people really do believe in the Bible, God, etc.. regardless of your thoughts about it. Do they not deserve respect?

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL, Hey all you unbelievers! We are now the subject of a slippery slope!!

Yes Berengaria...it would appear to be prophesy.. Based on opinion with zero evidence to support it...LOL

it's just sensationalism and fear mongering. Ooooh, those scary athests, one day they will get together and be prejudiced towards all believers...of all nations...and all sects and beliefs...just you wait and see. It will happen. I KNOW.

Maybe it's in the bible...do they say something about atheists in revelation?

Some of the WORST countries with THE worst atrocities being done to its citizens are 'believing' countries. They run their countries like dictators. And they wonder why we don't want people like them in power BECAUSE of their faith.

Quote from site below:

If this often-touted religious theory were correct-that a turning away from God is at the root of all societal ills-then we would expect to find the least religious nations on earth to be bastions of crime, poverty, and disease and the most religious nations to be models of societal health. A comparison of highly irreligious countries with highly religious countries, however, reveals a very different state of affairs. In reality, the most secular countries-those with the highest proportion of atheists and agnostics-are among the most stable, peaceful, free, wealthy, and healthy societies. And the most religious nations-wherein worship of God is in abundance-are among the most unstable, violent, oppressive, poor, and destitute.

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=pzuckerman_26_5

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    @Stillthinking- you summed up my argument well. Yes, people have the right to be as ignorant, bigoted, and plain stupid as they want to be. A lot of people on the left like weilding the poo-poo cannon right now, but they don't realize that if they got their way all it takes is another election and someone would be shutting them down if the other party wins. For the record, I defended the left's right to speech during the previous age when the wind was blowing from the other direction and we were all holding hands, wrapped in the flag, singing God Bless America on the capital.
    This is ridiculous and childish. Yall have to use more of your brains than this! Just remember every battle needs morons to jump in front of machine guns on the front lines and generals way back to give the orders. Where are you in the fight?
    I haven't defened Tebow's speech first of all because it hasn't been given.
    Second, I don't defend Dr. Jefferies only his right to speech, religion, and assembly. The second he crosses the line, lock him up.
    Something really odd is going on with some of you. Do you really think you can control people's thoughts. Not everyone needs to be liked. Some people really do believe in the Bible, God, etc.. regardless of your thoughts about it. Do they not deserve respect?

Once more, in English!

• tec
    tec

Yes apparently atheists are not fully human - who would have thought?

Odd comment to bring up to me. I hold no such view.

Tammy stop with the persecution complex.

No complex. Just observation, and personal experience.

Don't forget racism too...she is really trying paint a bleak picture of Atheism. Trouble is. Its nonsense.

This comment is nonsense, indeed.

Lets see...would you like someone like Osama Binladin (a person of very strong faith) to hold a position of power in your country?

That would depend very much upon what his faith compelled him to do. (and no, I would want this man to hold a position of power... his deeds speak for him... but I would not state that no muslim should be in office or hold a position of power... THAT would be discrimination based upon faith)

It is not because the 'person' holds faith. It is the faith he holds. And the actual effects that person of faith, holding a positon of power would have to change others lives and impose his belifs on others.
    Would you want a person of 'faith' that believes all homosexuals should not have equal rights, as in some parts of Africa to hold a position of power in YOUR country? Where it is against some of their RELIGIOUS values and imposed on all the people of their country. This ignorance and RELIGIOUS bigotry does not deserve respect.

See all of this shows me that you are not getting the point that I am making.

The above are very particular things. I would not trust a leader who holds other people in contempt; or who thinks that all people do not have equal rights. I would vote against such a leader. Because of the particulars of the things that he believes and the prejudices that he holds and lives. A leader should hold all people equal. So as to negate prejudices and discrimination.

I am speaking as to people who have a prejudice against people of faith, regardless of knowing the particulars of their faith or what they do IN their faith.

Being a theist does not make a person ignorant, unenlightened, prejudiced, unintelligent. No more than being an atheist makes a person immoral. The people who spread these things are the ones showing and teaching prejudice.

Peace,

tammy

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

@Berengaria - Uhhh... that is English. You might want to put down the Bon Bons and turn down Maddow and start at page one of this thread. It will take a while because you will actually have to read and think. It should be a good change for you from throwing posters in a box and screaming RACIST, HOMOPHOBE, or waiting on your buddy Bizzybee and taking about male sexual organs.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    A lot of people on the left like weilding the poo-poo cannon right now, but they don't realize that if they got their way all it takes is another election and someone would be shutting them down if the other party wins.

Ok, so not only is that a horrible excuse for a sentence, but what is a "poo poo cannon"?

And this, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit