Tim Tebow to address Anti-Gay Anti-Semetic Mega Church

by designs 110 Replies latest social current

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

You are welcome Designs, but I am trying to refrain from snark directed at other posters. I have been inspired by some of the debates and culture I have discovered online mostly in the veritas forums. If someone chooses to enter the arena and discuss/debate we should advocate our beliefs passionately while respecting the other poster as a fellow gladiator for entering the arena.

It seems there are two groups of people that disagree no matter the subject. There are the petty, ill-informed, under-educated and lazy. Then there are the educated, sincere, and articulate.

It's not that I have anything against being petty, under-educated or lazy ... but no matter what side of the argument they usually have about 2 or 3 of the same ol things to same and then it just resorts to name calling and general dismissiveness and disrespect. It bores me.

• designs
    designs

DD- You are aware of the European/Christian conquest of the Americas, Africa and Asian regions. 250,000 Jews were driven from their homes in Alexandria Egypt, women raped, children killed, homes burned because some bright and clever writer wrote in the Gospels 'Let his blood be upon us'.

Point being with Tim Tebow giving a pep talk to the faithful, it perpetuates the ideals to future generations when we should be steadily progressing away from these old religions.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Designs - In all fairness Tebow is not advocating killing anyone. This intolerance is what keeps me from supporting the "progressive" movement in America. A group of people have decided to live their lives in a certain way, what is wrong with that. How is that any different than the gay neighborhood of Oak Lawn that is about a mile North of Dr. Jeffries church will Tebow will be speaking? The gays in Oak Lawn aren't trying to kill the Baptist, but I am sure they disagree vehemently with their beliefs and we have no problem letting them be.

Do we need a homogenous society in thought and belief? That sounds like Fascism, to be honest and even if you did get it, it would only be skin deep.

• designs
    designs

No Tebow is not advocating direct violence against any he does not consider 'saved'. Here is the slippery slope. The pastor of the Church though has and is perpetuating a set of beliefs that have cost the lives of millions over the centuries- Jews, Homosexuals, Indigenous peoples. Saying someone cannot get into heaven or is damned to hell in this day and age has consequences to the community- violence against individuals and groups, defacing Synagogues, beating up homosexuals, violence against women (second class status perpetuated from the Bible).

It is not a homogenous society that is the goal but an enlightened civilization. Just like the geo-centric claims of the Bible had to fall to science so do the other prejudices of the Bible. It is tragic (in the Watchtower sense of it) that a young college educated man such as Tim is giving a motivational speech on ideals that science has long proven false.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

I have lived in Dallas my whole life. I can not recall one time a Baptist attacked or led a mob to attack a sinner. So I would have to disagree with you about hanging the inquistion, gay-bashing, and the like on a few baptist in Dallas that are more likely to shove you for cutting in line at Luby's than stone you for being gay. So I would again, disagree vehemently that Tebow or Jeffries right to free speech should be infringed upon.

How do you know to topic of Tebow's speech? Did you assume it was going to be some anti-gay diatribe? I personally believe in alcohol fueled threesomes with buxom blondes, but you shouldn't assume every speech I make is about that.

The baptist church was around long before homosexuality was an issue. They are not an anti-gay group per say, they just don't condone homosexuality. Is a gay bar anti-straight? I have been in many churches and bars of all types. I think some people need to get out more.

If you want to read about relgious people that actually do cross the line here is a good article check out the sunni/shite violence that occurs daily.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

If you want to read about relgious people that actually do cross the line here is a good article check out the sunni/shite violence that occurs daily.

Slavery, civil rights and now gay bashing are things religious people have commited violence to stop. Secular law, fortunately, has stopped that (largely).

• designs
    designs

Cagefighter- On the contrary I support Tebow and Jeffries right to free speech, the public needs to hear and know what they believe and advocate. Anything Tebow says in support of the Christian NT is open for debate and criticism, my right of free speech.

'The Baptist Church was around long before homosexuality was an issue', not sure exactly what you mean here but homosexuality is just part of the human spectrum and goes back as far as homo-sapiens have been around for 200,000 years, much longer than the Baptists. If it is the issue of homosexuality then place that prejudice on the Apostle Paul who wrote about those people not getting into heaven in 1Cor.6:9, that and other texts laid the basis for the persecution the Christians practiced against those considered unsaved.

Now maybe you live in a nice part of Dallas that has never seen discrimination of any sort. Dallas is home to some world class seminaries, what a tragedy on young minds. We get the prejudices of the Wt. and feel sad that young people are being educated in their ways and listen to Tim Tebow like motivational speeches at Conventions and with CO visits. What greater sadness to see young people being in a Baptist setting with all of the baggage of the Baptist perspective and a charismatic individual like Tim encouraging them like a David Splane does to the JW youth.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Could you put Quarterback in quote marks, please?

Gopher ...

My feelings exactly. I like the Jets (former) teammate who said that Tebow could be great playing football in the Premier League in England.

That way he would not need to use his hands or arms.

Rub a Dub

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Designs- this is where the train goes off the rails in my opinion. I get it, you don't like Tebow or the Baptists. However, up until now you have equated their beliefs and speech with murder, persecution, and assualt. This a huge leap and forgive me if you are just being sarcastic and I am not catching it.

I can desire and want to do very nasty things to an attractive woman in the supermarket. However, it is not a rape until I club her in the head and throw in the van. My deep down beliefs and wants do no necessarily dictate how I will behave. I would equiviquate your initial criticism of FBC and Tebow to calling a man a rapist just because he finds a woman attractive. A man is not a rapist until he rapes. Just like a Baptist is not a gay basher until they bash a gay. I find you to be just as prejudice as those your criticize.

• designs
    designs

Murder, persecution and assault have been the history of Christianity. Enough! Let civilized people continue the march away from these old religions. Name one kid whom you would want to be a Baptist minister or JW pioneer, it is mental abuse, and Tim is to far up the creek in his brain-washed state to be able to diswade these young followers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit