I am like Dr. Leo Marvin in "What about Bob"

by NVR2L8 11 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

A few days ago I watch the old Bill Murray movie "What about Bob" with my family and realized that I'm in the same situation as Dr. Leo Marvin (played by Richard Dreyfus). For those who have never seen this movie, Dr. Marvin is a psychiatrist who is unable to shake off an obsessed patient who manages to track him down during his family vacation. The patient befriends the family who see him like a charming man, when in fact he is driving Dr. Leo crazy. Regardless of the Dr.'s attempt to explain what's going on to his family or to get rid of Bob, every effort backfires and his family sides with Bob.

This made me think of my relationship with my JW family...the more I try to help them understand that there is something wrong with the WTS (Bob), the closer they get to the cult...the WTS lies, but they won't hear it...and when I bring up anything negative about the WTS they think I am the crazy one. But unlike Dr. Marvin, I will not blow up my own house or lose my mind and get locked up in a mental institute. Instead I will be patient and hope that the many changes in doctrine will get their alarm bells running as they did for me a few years back.

Have you ever watched a movie that reminds you of your own situation in regards to the WTS?

• LV101
    LV101

NVR --- I love this movie and it's one I'll never forget. A good analogy you've made. Seems I've not met too many people who appreciated the movie.

I have a couple of friends who suffered severly with anxiety/panic disorders --- anyway, laughed so hard during the movie (not that the disorder(s) is at all funny). The chicken dinner comments reminded me of my family when they'd get home-cooked dinners and we didn't have to eat out.

Yes, the movie I'd relate to re/WTS would be Gross Point Blank --- cult killing my life and suffocating me. Can't really explain other than that --- been long time since I watched it.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Great movie. It sounds like what you need NVR2L8, is a vacation from your problems.

Baby steps to learning the Truth about the Truth, baby steps to the door, baby steps to total freedom.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Interesting observation. I can hear your frustration. I don't have any answers.

Just Lois

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Resistance...I have been inactive for almost 3 years and elders attempted to speak to me once. I asked them to leave me alone and they have respected my request. The WT has no longer a hold on me but they hold my family as hostages and they are oblivious to this. So they can't see anything wrong about anything the WT does nor will they listen to negative reports on child abuse or question the numerous doctrinal changes of late. My only option is to take baby steps in feeding them information that may trigger their awakening without raising their defense mechanism. As for a vacation, I travel extensively for work, so I get regular breaks from their cultish reasoning and I get to enjoy normalcy while away.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Baby Steps NVR2L8, Baby Steps! Don't forget "Death Therapy" as a last resort!

• moshe
    moshe

I see you are like Bob though- hanging to the bottom of the car- if you let go and be yourself, your JW family will leave you by the side of the road--

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

God, I love that movie!

Having suffered from anxiety myself I can totally relate to Bob's perceptions.

I think the M. Night Shaymalan movie "The Village" closely mirrors my experience with JWs.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The dinner scene is a classic...last year my wife invited a few friends and they were having their usual JW talk...then one of the brother started talking about this sister who needed to be talked to because she seemed not to know her place in the congregation...that comment annoyed me as much as Bob's mmmmmmmms Mrs. M, mmmmmm...So I asked the brother how was it that he could determine what the sister's place was and what authority he had over her...my family looked at me puzzled...then there was long silence. There was a younger sister there and I was shocked that she wasn't reacting to the chauvinistic comments of a mid twenty overzealous male pioneer...cultic paralysis I guess!

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Cobalt Cupcake: I so totally agree about "The Village". Their whole life was a sham, and they also had fear to keep them from straying from their life at the village. They were trapped. -Leslie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit