I've Come To Realize That "Facts" Don't Mean Much If A Person Refuses To Accept Them

by minimus 160 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I enjoy reasonableness.

Don't we all!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Never have the facts of life contradicted the facts of science....

throw away statements are good for one thing only...... Throwing away.

As the thread says, some people just don't one to hear though they pretend to listen....

• tec
    tec
    Never have the facts of life contradicted the facts of science....

I agree. We just aren't always accurate in what we consider to be facts. Because facts are subject to change, based on new knowledge and evidence acquired. That doesn't mean they have to do a reversal... sometimes they grow, shedding new light on all sorts of other things. (and other facts)

Psychological facts have changed, in behavior and such, as we learn and study more. DNA facts have changed, and will continue to change as we discover more. Etc...

The reality/truth of something does not change. (a theoretical discusion on that 'fact' might be interesting, lol) But our facts regarding reality change as we learn more about reality.

Peace,

tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest
    This isn't about me or the historocity of Jesus or the various messiah figures that existed during the same time period or the many other before and after.

Perhaps not, directly. But surely you would agree it could apply.

Irrelevant. The false equivalency is still false.

Oh, I agree with the second part, but I believe it was entirely relevant. That YOU say it wasn't doesn't mean a thing. Your psuedo-intelligence doesn't dictate here, my dear.

Chile? I have no idea why you think calling me "chile" is appropriate in any way.

It was appropriate because I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to call whomever I choose "chile'." It is a part of my speech style and so I chose to use it in addressing you. That you responded indicated you understood... and accepted... that.

The large age gap between us does not entitle you to attempt to talk down on me in any way.

First, I did not talk down to you. That you think I did shows me that you're not as intelligent as you wish some to believe. Because if you WERE you would know in what capacity and under what circumstances such a term is used... and what it is intended to portray. You didn't, though, so... Second, there is not protocol here that dictates any entitlement, one way or another... other than, perhaps for folks to be real. I am being VERY real with you, which is why I used the term. And most probably will again. Deal with it.

Please show the proper respect during a discussion.

You don't deserve proper respect from me, chile'. You don't even have that for yourself. Still, I do give you a LOT... and, if you knew ME, chile'... you would know that that IS a lot.

Since you claim to understand science, I am left with the conclusion that you are puposefully misrepresenting it to further some agenda you have.

You left with whatever conclusion you CHOOSE to draw. I can't... and don't... control what you CHOOSE to conclude... anymore than you control what I can and will choose to conclude. No matter how hard you try... or what tactics you use.

I couldn't care less what you believe.

Au contrare: you care very MUCH what I believe. If you didn't, my name and beliefs wouldn't even come up into your heart, mind, or mouth. But I understand: you can't help it. Your need to control everything and everybody won't let you NOT care. What I believe... or what others believe. You MUST be in charge of that, too. Guess what, though? You're not.

I get it. I just reject the attempt at a false equivalency between hearing voices with unproveable assertions and reality-based, testable, proveable, observational, objective science.

No, you don't. Truly. And one day I might have enough consideration for you to take a moment and explain to you just how and why that is. One day. Might. Right now, I don't have that (consideration) for you.

Once again, this is not about me.

No, it wasn't... but you couldn't handle that...

As usual, you try to make claims about me that you are, yet again wrong about.

Yes, sure... okay...

Please do not attempt to make this conversation about me or try to state what you incorrectly think my motives are.

I will grant you that same consideration and accord... when you do likewise with regard to me. Until then... all's fair in this "love" affair, chile'...

Any further attempts will simply met with a rejection of your incorrect assertion and then I'll move on.

Yeah, sure... right. Your track record on that... here and pretty much everywhere else... says no, you won't. You can't help yourself. And no amount of "olive branch" waving will change that.

A doulos of Christ,

SA, who didn't address you or your comments first... and haven't in some time in a sincere effort to "walk" the [olive branch] talk... which is what honesty does...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Perhaps not, directly. But surely you would agree it could apply.

Oh, I agree with the second part, but I believe it was entirely relevant. That YOU say it wasn't doesn't mean a thing. Your psuedo-intelligence doesn't dictate here, my dear.

It was appropriate because I don't need yours or anyone else's permission to call whomever I choose "chile'."

Au contrare: you care very MUCH what I believe.

I'm sorry, Shelby, there is no point in continuing since, rather than disucssion the issue, you have started in with attempts at condescendion, personal attacks and trying to make claims about what I think.

If you are able to discuss the issue without having to resort to such cheap tactics, I welcome you back. Until then, however, I have better things to do that waste my time reading attempts to insult me.

Have a pleasant day.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I'm sorry, Shelby, there is no point in continuing since, rather than disucssion the issue, you have started in with attempts at condescendion, personal attacks and trying to make claims about what I think.

Contrary to your (usual) attempt to mislead readers, a review of your post 6176 would show that you actually "started" such. You are correct that there is no point in continuing; however, your reason isn't sound. There is no point... because I finished what you started... and so you have nothing further of any real intelligence or accuracy to say. Since you have nothing with which to "dazzle", you (as usual) resort to attempts to baffle. But, again, you're not that slick. Really, you aren't. Now, YOU know this... and I know this. Unfortunately, many here don't. I do love, though, that SOME do...

If you are able to discuss the issue without having to resort to such cheap tactics, I welcome you back.

But, see, YOU cannot be counted on for such, so your "welcome" is just as empty and false as your...

Until then, however, I have better things to do that waste my time reading attempts to insult me.

I made no such attempt. If the truth I shared with you here is insulting to you, perhaps you consider looking into just why that is (why truth "insults" you). I could TELL you why... but I don't have high hopes that you would listen. In "fact," I'm sure you wouldn't.

Have a pleasant day.

I DID, actually - went to the De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park to view the Rudolph Nureyev (also spelled "Nureiev" and "Nurejew"... but pronounced "Nur-yev" in all instances - interesting that, yes?) exhibit, along with Veneer's "The Girl With the Pearl Earring" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Johannes_Vermeer_(1632-1675)_-_The_Girl_With_The_Pearl_Earring_(1665).jpg)... which was presented along with other notable Dutch artists, including Rembrandt - there were three of his pieces, including a 1662 self portrait and "Portrait of An Elderly Man" - and Pieter Claesz, whose still art I LOVE! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieter_Claesz). Both were EXQUISITE displays. Absolutely breath-taking! In addition, it was a balmy, sunny day and all KINDS of folks were out in GGP. We lunched in the museum cafe (I had a lovely turkey cranberry with orange sauce and bacon cream cheese sandwich and french fries with a lovely aioli dip). Then we went to family's house and sat around chatting about the freedom of no longer being JWs (HOORAY!)... and how to follow God now (through Christ) and the joys of doing that. So, yeah, I had a VERY pleasant day. How 'bout you?

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
  • ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Indeed Minimus, I found some of your older posts on JWN and I think you brought up this same subject almost a decade ago. Things don't change do they?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Contrary to your (usual) attempt to mislead readers, a review of your post 6176 would show that you actually "started" such. You are correct that there is no point in continuing; however, your reason isn't sound.

You know, I've converted to free-rage organic hen and duck eggs from a local source as opposed to commercially produced eggs. they are MUCH better! In addition to the taste, the fats in the yolk promote a healthy and youthful skin. I recommend them.

But, see, YOU cannot be counted on for such, so your "welcome" is just as empty and false as your...

I also recently purchased a 3.5 season tent from Tarptent. Well put together, goes up and down in a jiffy, the double wall design and large vestibule comes in handy when storing gear or when you need to cook out of the rain. I don't know if you do any hiking or backpacking, if you do, I recommend it.

I made no such attempt. If the truth I shared with you here is insulting to you, perhaps you consider looking into just why that is (why truth "insults" you).

Finally, the Trangia alcohol stoves are a winner in my book. Trailcooking.com has some great one pot recipes to try. By using a pot cozy (I made one out of a windshield heat deflector and some duct tape for $6) you can conserve fuel and cook a meal for two people in about 20 minutes using only 1.5 ounces of fuel, depending on outside temps, water temps and so forth. I made a windscreen for it out of carbon felt and it works great. I have the Trangia model 25-8 in anodized aluminium and the Mini single person model. Great stoves. If, though, you are going to be cooking about 9000 feet you might want to look at a Jetboil, though.

Anyway, I have a heavy travel week for work and things to do. Have a pleasant day.

P.S. As I said, your attempts at childish insults are sad. You would think a woman of your age would know how to conduct herself better. If you have actual, real things to debate rather than simply trying to get my attention, please do come back.

• minimus
    minimus

Arbo. I appreciate your research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit